Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jan 9, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #3,196 of 3,218
Absolutely. I‘d even say it’s the other way round: they stood the test of time. And they did very well in that.

Shures have always been good propositions for standing the test of time. When the SE846 was launched, they were $1000. Look at the Shure website now, they're still $1000. They don't depreciate in value.

I have a question. I'm planning on going full wireless and am considering the Shure True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter to pair with my SE846. I wanna use them will I ride my bike to listen to music and answer calls. They're expensive as hell, I can buy a pair of Apple Earpods Pro for that price almost.

Anybody have any experience with the Secure Fit Adapter?

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #3,197 of 3,218
Shures have always been good propositions for standing the test of time. When the SE846 was launched, they were $1000. Look at the Shure website now, they're still $1000. They don't depreciate in value.

I have a question. I'm planning on going full wireless and am considering the Shure True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter to pair with my SE846. I wanna use them will I ride my bike to listen to music and answer calls. They're expensive as hell, I can buy a pair of Apple Earpods Pro for that price almost.

Not with that exact product but I've had lots of issues trying my new Linsoul TRN BT20S Pro with the SE846. The Shure unit, the TRN BT20S Pro and the new Fiio UTWS3 all use the same Qualcomm QCC3020 chipset which limits you to SBC, AAC and plain aptX codecs. The TRN and Fiio units are less than half the cost of the Shure, but right now I wouldn't recommend any of them. Other users of the TRN unit have reported the same issues I'm seeing, and the Fiio units are just starting to ship in volume with early users reporting some of the same issues.

I was using a Fiio BTR5 with a balanced MMCX cable and my SE846 but like any battery device can, it experienced an overheat causing the battery to bulge and pop the front glass off the body. This of course happened 1 week outside of warranty, but Fiio support is willing to repair the BTR5 for a minimal surcharge if I can return it to them in China. I will get it sent shortly, but in the meantime I've been trying to get the TRN to work reliably. Alas no success.

So on Jan. 4th I decided to go for a much larger unit, the Fiio Q5s TC. It's a amp/DAC with dual AK DACs and a balanced THX AAA amp module. It offers Bluetooth, USB, line-in, TOSLink optical in and coaxial SPDIF in, as well as featuring a line out and both single-ended 3.5mm and balanced 4.4mm jacks for your headphones or IEMs. I bought a new Fiio LC-C 2.5mm balanced MMCX cable to go with the Q5s TC and am using a 4.4mm male to 2.5mm female adapter for now. I've ordered some 4.4mm connectors so I can build some custom adapters to use with the custom balanced cables I use on my Sennheiser HD800 and Hifiman HE560.

The Q5s TC is considerably larger of course, but it's been rock-solid connection-wise when roaming about my condo. The BTR5 would struggle when I was more than 10' away from the Bluetooth source and the TRN are just plain flaky with dropouts and loss of BT handshaking even while sitting or standing still. Of course the other issue with the Q5s is the cabling and the weight/size of the unit, whereas the Shure Secure Fit, TRN and Fiio units are considerably more compact. Alas the convenience of size seems to be overshadowed by the connection reliability issues.

If I was in your shoes, and even after I experienced a failure of mine, I'd recommend the Fiio BTR5 and at least the Fiio LC-C 2.5mm balanced cable. Much better codec support, better stability for the BT connection, great power output especially on the 2.5mm balanced output. Good luck on finding a solution that works well for your bike rides!

If you do go for the Shure Secure Fit adapter, make sure you can return it for a full refund. I suspect all three of these compact BT products are simple variations of the same hardware and hence all are experiencing the same issues. But again, I haven't tried the Shure unit so perhaps it's more reliable? To me the cost of the Shure is too high, just like it was with their original BT cables, the RMCE-BT1 and BT2.

I'm happier overall now that I went with the Fiio Q5s TC but it's considerably higher priced as well. It offers more power and also functions as a USB DAC supporting up to 768KHz/32 bit PCM and up to DSD512. I'd rather have the reliability and increased functionality that it offers.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #3,198 of 3,218

I recently purchased the RMCE-TW1 for use with SE846 and am sending them back. In comparison to the AirPods Pro, the bluetooth connection feels much less stable when connected to MacBook Pro and iPhone. In my apartment, they have about 1/3 of the usable range of the AirPods, and the amount of jitter during video conferencing or video playback is unbearable. I will re-invest the funds in a quality cable for the 846. YMMV, I have a feeling the amount of wireless interference in my environment has made for a worse experience with any Bluetooth product.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #3,199 of 3,218

Sorry for my late reply... slowly taking my time away from head-fi...

I use the TW1 with my SE846 and like the combination quite a bit. Yes, the TW1 is not perfect:
calls go to only one side -- which happens to cater to my preference, but may annoy others
Once had a problem with delay between left and right earpiece -- vanished after shutting off and switching on again, did not reoccur
case is a bit large but offers USB-C charging, battery level indicator and space for the earpieces as well (i.e. you don't have to disconnect them for charging)

Sonically I like the combination very much, much better than the AirPods Pro (which I do own due to their minimal footprint and less fiddle handling when using face masks). This is one example of Shure keeping the SE846 relevant through adding a treue wireless option -- very welcome.

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #3,200 of 3,218
So the day I dreaded has arrived... my SE846 left IEM has apparently suffered some damage after 5.5+ years of use. There's nothing visible, but it appears that at least one of the drivers has died, likely the dedicated 'subwoofer' one. I've swapped my cables from left to right to verify and the bass is definitely missing. It also sounds somewhat distant, like in a larger room whereas the right IEM still sounds fine. I keep the nozzles clean so it's not a blockage.

As Shure doesn't repair them and instead only offers replacements at $300 US for each IEM, I'm looking at my options. I've been very happy with the sound signature, sometimes preferring them over my Sennheiser HD800 cans (with the Dupont resonator mod and replacement Dekoni earpads). Sure, one's an IEM and one's a fullsize headphone, but to me they compare similarly for sound, with the SE846 having a tad more bass response.

So while I really enjoyed them, I'm a little unwilling to drop $300 US on just a replacement left IEM. I'm concerned that the right IEM might eventually fail as well. So the questions are:

1) Does anyone out there have a SE846 with a damaged right IEM and might want to sell their left one?
2) Has anyone here done the flat fee replacement from Shure, and if so did you notice any changes in the sound signature with the new IEM?
3) What options are there for a replacement IEM that's got a similar sound signature?

With the flood of IEMs now on the market, I'm thinking it's maybe time to try something new. I listen to all types of music - classical, rock, pop, country, oldies and more. Any recommendations for me to look into? My budget is up to $750 US. My primary amp/DAC is my Fiio Q5s TC.

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #3,202 of 3,218

I just ordered the Fiio UTWS3 to try out. I’m having a similar dilemma about the shure product. I’ve owned 2 shure BT cables and have been underwhelmed by them, I’ve had 2 Westone BT cables as well, liked those better. The reviews on the latest ear hook version have been mixed. I don’t like the lack of functionality and that phone calls only happen in one ear, you can’t switch. I know none of that effects performance or sound quality but for the price, I’d expect more. I recently ordered an “upscaled” BT cable (ill leave the name off). Super disappointed with it, being returned. Apparently SE846’s are sensitive (I’m learning) and the background hiss from that cable was overbearing. Once you got over mid volume, it drowned out the hiss and sounded amazing but that’s not how I want to consistently listen to music. Anyway, all this to say that I haven’t yet found the “magic bullet” BT cable or devise that offers great sound and the functionality I’m looking for. When the Fiio arrives, my main use of for working and never ending zoom calls. They will be used most often with my SE535 but I’ll give the 846 a run with them to see how they sound. Glad this thread is here to compare notes!

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #3,203 of 3,218
Why not looking at Meze Rai Penta. Great reviews all over the net and fantastic sound.

I'm not adverse to looking at something else and did briefly take a look at the Rai Penta. Alas they're out of the budget - over $1K US. It also would mean I would have a LOT of tips that I would never use... go figure I would stock up a few months ago. I guess I can still use the tips with my SE215 and SE530, but both underwhelm me compared to the SE846.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #3,204 of 3,218
Sound wise are they still relevant in 2020?
Not really anymore. I sold off my SE846 as I got EM-5H before moving into other IEM. You should look into something else that has better detail retrieval, resolution and soundstage. Many IEMs are now performing pretty good below $1000 threshold

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #3,205 of 3,218
Not really anymore. I sold off my SE846 as I got EM-5H before moving into other IEM. You should look into something else that has better detail retrieval, resolution and soundstage. Many IEMs are now performing pretty good below $1000 threshold

Has IEM technology really improved that dramatically in the last 5 years where it would be worth it to sell the SE846 to buy something newer?

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #3,206 of 3,218
Has IEM technology really improved that dramatically in the last 5 years where it would be worth it to sell the SE846 to buy something newer?
At least for me I felt the difference between SE846 and other IEMs that I have tried. Of course, different tunings and drivers play a role in the sounding. Btw, instead of spending extra for upgrade cable for SE846, it is better to just get another IEM as that was what I did previously and now have moved on.

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #3,207 of 3,218
I don’t think so, only marketing wants to convey the feeling that revolutions have happened. Yes, there are better in-ears available, but I think the SE846 is still relevant. And I‘d most certainly not sell it to buy anything else. Buying new may be another question, but I don’t know any model I‘d want to have instead. To me the endless stream of „ultimate best ever“ new models is just a joke. And a bad one at that. Very happy with the slow evolution at e.g. Shure

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #3,208 of 3,218
FYI - In the search to find a replacement left earbud, I decided to at least try one newer IEM that was in my price range. That was the Fiio FH7. I debated back and forth about it or the FD5, but in the end went with the FH7. It's been a decent choice, but I also found a forum member that had a pair of SE846 with a bunch of accessories for a good price. I stretched my budget and purchased them as well.

I still prefer the SE846 signature over the FH7, but both see use. I'm happy to have found a replacement pair. I haven't been into trying any of the myriad of lower-cost IEMs out there, nor have I been able to try any of the higher priced universals from JH, Campfire, RAI, ThieAudio, etc. For now I'm content to use the replacement SE846 and the FH7.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #3,209 of 3,218
My SE846 has its 6th birthday today... Exactly 6 years ago I picked up the package. Over those years I bought and sold many other headphones and in-ears... the SE846 is still with me. First I used a cable with an iPhone remote, later changing to the BT1 and BT2 cables. For almost 1 years I use the TW1. I really like how Shure keeps the SE846 (and most of their other models) current by adding new cable/BT options that are compatible with older in-ears as well. Well done.

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #3,210 of 3,218
My SE846 has its 6th birthday today... Exactly 6 years ago I picked up the package. Over those years I bought and sold many other headphones and in-ears... the SE846 is still with me. First I used a cable with an iPhone remote, later changing to the BT1 and BT2 cables. For almost 1 years I use the TW1. I really like how Shure keeps the SE846 (and most of their other models) current by adding new cable/BT options that are compatible with older in-ears as well. Well done.
I completely agree with you. Shure takes the slow and steady road to create a great sound that lasts over time unlike the offerings of other companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back