Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Apr 10, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #3,181 of 3,218
"The SE846s are a 9 ohm, multi-balanced armature design meaning that you’ve got wide-ranging impedances that may easily dip below 9 ohms in spots and soar higher in other spots. That means you need to be really careful about matching the SE846 with the right devices – namely those with output impedance <1 ohm and ideally closer to 0 ohms (like 0.1 ohm). Failing to correctly pair the SE846s can result in extremely rolled off treble and the sense that you’re listening to a highly flawed product."

Would NW-ZX507 be a good pair? Sorry I'm a noob.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #3,182 of 3,218
"The SE846s are a 9 ohm, multi-balanced armature design meaning that you’ve got wide-ranging impedances that may easily dip below 9 ohms in spots and soar higher in other spots. That means you need to be really careful about matching the SE846 with the right devices – namely those with output impedance <1 ohm and ideally closer to 0 ohms (like 0.1 ohm). Failing to correctly pair the SE846s can result in extremely rolled off treble and the sense that you’re listening to a highly flawed product."

Would NW-ZX507 be a good pair? Sorry I'm a noob.
Try to find the specifications for the NW-ZX507 where it shows the output impedance of the headphone output. Ideally, it should be less than 1 Ohm as to not possibly mess with the frequency response of the Shure earphones.

This article is a good read explaining the 1/8th output impedance rule: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #3,183 of 3,218
Apr 12, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #3,184 of 3,218
Any recommendations on cables? Does it make sense to run these on 2.5 balance?

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #3,186 of 3,218
For anyone on the fence/who might care, I'll add my two cents to the general SE846 impressions - which are that while these might not be the single highest best set of IEMs for audio quality, I found them unsurpassed for practicality. Their isolation (with the right tips) is fantastic, like putting your head underwater, and I have had excellent luck with their durability. After a few months stepping out with other monitors, I'll be back in the Shure camp shortly.

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #3,187 of 3,218
For anyone on the fence/who might care, I'll add my two cents to the general SE846 impressions - which are that while these might not be the single highest best set of IEMs for audio quality, I found them unsurpassed for practicality. Their isolation (with the right tips) is fantastic, like putting your head underwater, and I have had excellent luck with their durability. After a few months stepping out with other monitors, I'll be back in the Shure camp shortly.

Which is to say, there are no earbuds I'd rather, say, take on a plane or on a run. (to be fair, I haven't tried millions, but these blow the competition so far out of the water, and if my half-compulsive review reading has taught me anything, it's that many earbuds are comparable to the ones I have tried - which is to say, not great). The SE846s are as good as earplugs as they are as earbuds, which is pretty thrilling.

Apr 14, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #3,188 of 3,218
Which is to say, there are no earbuds I'd rather, say, take on a plane or on a run. (to be fair, I haven't tried millions, but these blow the competition so far out of the water, and if my half-compulsive review reading has taught me anything, it's that many earbuds are comparable to the ones I have tried - which is to say, not great). The SE846s are as good as earplugs as they are as earbuds, which is pretty thrilling.

You should try the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2, especially for running.

Apr 14, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #3,189 of 3,218
How do the Momentums sound? I've heard pretty good things.

I've been holding off pulling the trigger on anything wireless, true or otherwise - every time I've tried swapping a wire for a BT cable, I've had issues with clipping, etc, on top of a noticeable reduction in sound quality - I find things up somewhat thin and hissy. That said, I haven't played around with wireless for a while (other than cheapo BT earbuds for, you guessed it, running).

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #3,193 of 3,218
Love mine!! They are amazing. I go to bed with them on EVERY NITE. Its funny... They are the only IEM I own in which the foam earbuds work great with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back