Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 4, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #2,944 of 3,218
If you need a bass boost, you can use an amplifier with more impendance. They can become bass monsters if the impedance is high enough which will probably satisfy bassheads even.

May 4, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #2,946 of 3,218
  If you need a bass boost, you can use an amplifier with more impendance. They can become bass monsters if the impedance is high enough which will probably satisfy bassheads even.

Or just buy inline adapters so you roll them.

The key is how much ipendiance 10 Ohm? or 5 or 3? Perhaps I should jumped the gun to buy the 1 Ohm version, the stock 10 Ohm might just be fine.

May 5, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #2,950 of 3,218

The key is how much ipendiance 10 Ohm? or 5 or 3? Perhaps I should jumped the gun to buy the 1 Ohm version, the stock 10 Ohm might just be fine.

Or if you want to stretch your budget, get a centrance M8 with impedance adjustment for your bass pleasure. There is a setting from 1ohm to 10ohm so you are pretty much covered. The 10ohm will boost the bass quite substantially but reduce the treble, while 1ohm has a nice natural treble lift but not as much bass as 10ohm. 

or you can add +2 bass with 1ohm setting. Lots of function to play with and most importantly it sounded really good, almost like a desktop amps - no kidding.

May 5, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #2,951 of 3,218
As someone on this or another 846 thread mentioned, there is also a mini M8 intended for IEMs that is in the works. For the 846, based just on rule of thumb calculations it seems that even 1 ohm impedance may be a bit high if you don't want the output impedance to impact frequency response.

May 5, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,952 of 3,218
Thank you for the advises, I would love to have the flexibility of M8 but it is too big for me to carry around. DACport sound great only the tonal balanced is little off. I feel it make the whole sound tilt upward a little bit, and more foundation on the low side is welcome.

May 5, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,953 of 3,218
I also think the older Macbooks and the newer ones have different source impedance. The impressions about SE846's real tonal balance are all over the map at this stage in the hi-fi community. In my setup, they are neutral sounding that remind me Beyer T1 I had before.

May 8, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2,954 of 3,218

Lads and lasses, finally my review is live at Headfonia. As you know, I fell in love with this earphone. Completely. Just that bloody cable. I'm still mulling about what to do with some money I got from selling a lens. I may go the Shure route. I am having a hard time saying good bye. Ask any questions you like. If I missed anything, do point it out for me. Cheers.

May 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,955 of 3,218

Lads and lasses, finally my review is live at Headfonia. As you know, I fell in love with this earphone. Completely. Just that bloody cable. I'm still mulling about what to do with some money I got from selling a lens. I may go the Shure route. I am having a hard time saying good bye. Ask any questions you like. If I missed anything, do point it out for me. Cheers.

Nathan,

A thorough and well articulated review. Thank you for sharing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back