Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Mar 26, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2,838 of 3,218
How does the RSA Shadow pair with the SE846? Looking for an AMP to use with LO from iPod or other Hi-Res DAP. I'd be using with an Lightning to 30-Pin adapter and newest nano or iPad mini. I have a RSA Tomahawk already, but RSA reccomended the Shadow to pair with the SE846. Still screwing around with high res source units. I really don't want to go the phone route, although I do have a new HTC One M8 on the way, maybe I could pair that with an external DAC / AMP. I started with the Fiio X3, but quickly became frustrated that it cannot read ALAC track tags properly or sort them properly. I then ordered an iBasso DX50, but this one hisses like mad on any of the 3 gain settings with the SE846. Not sure if that is the sound signature of the DX50 or what. I am hoping the Fiio X5 may be the answer to my problems for high res audio files. I'm tempted to try the HM901 with the IEM card and be done with it. Everyone says it is one of the best if not the best.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #2,839 of 3,218
I'd ignore Ray's advice on getting more of your money for one.  Two, the AK DAPs are nice even without amps.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2,840 of 3,218
I agree, the X5 sounds like a great option. If you had a chance to try a HM901 do it, several here says that it's the best DAP but also there's a lot of complains of the UI. Also, for comparative purporses, you should try a Samsung Galaxy (Note 2 or 3 better) with "Neutron MP" an audiophile player available on the play store (5 days evaluation).
I would say, to pair with the SE846:
Note 2 with Neutron MP = Good
Note 2 with Neutron MP + Pico DAC/Amp = Very Good
HM901 with IEM card = Excellent

Does anyone have the HM901 and IEM card with the SE846? I see the IEM card is rated a 2 ohm output impedance, that is close to the 1/8 rule. Any noticable hissing or anyting of the sort with the Shure SE846 plugged into the HM-901 headphone out?

Thanks,

Y2J

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,841 of 3,218
  How does the RSA Shadow pair with the SE846? Looking for an AMP to use with LO from iPod or other Hi-Res DAP. I'd be using with an Lightning to 30-Pin adapter and newest nano or iPad mini. I have a RSA Tomahawk already, but RSA reccomended the Shadow to pair with the SE846. Still screwing around with high res source units. I really don't want to go the phone route, although I do have a new HTC One M8 on the way, maybe I could pair that with an external DAC / AMP. I started with the Fiio X3, but quickly became frustrated that it cannot read ALAC track tags properly or sort them properly. I then ordered an iBasso DX50, but this one hisses like mad on any of the 3 gain settings with the SE846. Not sure if that is the sound signature of the DX50 or what. I am hoping the Fiio X5 may be the answer to my problems for high res audio files. I'm tempted to try the HM901 with the IEM card and be done with it. Everyone says it is one of the best if not the best.

I use a Shadow with mine, DX50 LO > Shadow > 846.  I love it.  Not bright, not warm, just right in the middle.  Detail is there, frequency extension is great, battery life is outstanding, size is perfect.  I would have a hard time finding something that fits the bill for portable use more than this little amp.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #2,842 of 3,218
Does anyone have the HM901 and IEM card with the SE846? I see the IEM card is rated a 2 ohm output impedance, that is close to the 1/8 rule. Any noticable hissing or anyting of the sort with the Shure SE846 plugged into the HM-901 headphone out?

Thanks,

Y2J
You should ask this in the HM901 threads to get more info but there's no hissing with the IEM card.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/656138/hifiman-hm-901-visit-pg-18-imgs-pg-19-fw-1-084-pg-1-upcoming-dock-for-the-901

http://www.head-fi.org/t/605982/hm-901

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2,846 of 3,218
Hi all, I just tried out se847 today on my rwak120b connected to rsa sr71b and to se846, I noticed there's distortion like sound of 'zzzz' in my song but once I plug the 846 on my phone, it has no problem, anyone have any idea why is this happening??

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #2,847 of 3,218
Hi all, I just tried out se847 today on my rwak120b connected to rsa sr71b and to se846, I noticed there's distortion like sound of 'zzzz' in my song but once I plug the 846 on my phone, it has no problem, anyone have any idea why is this happening??

My guess is the AK120 is putting out some kind of interference. All portable amps are susceptible to radio frequency interference. When I use my set up (iPod->RSA Lightning->SE846) I make sure the wifi on my iPod is turned off or I hear a buzzing sound. When I use my iPhone as a source I have turn it to airplane mode to avoid the buzzing.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #2,848 of 3,218
I'm looking to upgrade from the Earsonics SM3 v1 and after plenty of research I'm considering the SE846. I love the SM3 and I'm hoping for something with similar presentation but an obvious step up.

Anyone else who's done the same upgrade path who can suggest alternatives or is this the best option?

I've auditioned the SE846 a couple of times and I really enjoyed them. I'm not looking at customs (otherwise I'd be looking at the UM Miracle). My source will be the Galaxy S3 (Wolfson DAC with BOEFFLA kernel). 

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,850 of 3,218
hi guys, i'm thinking of changing my se846 cable to a better one, any recommendation of which one will works well ?
Check out effect audio. I got a really good deal from them on a Thor or Odin cable (I forget which, it was normally $189 on sale for $150) and it really helped improve clarity and bass slam and is more ergonomic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back