Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Sep 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #2,116 of 3,218
I call BS......unless your mother had 4 legs.....woof lol

Sorry she has two. Do not look at me if there is fault it lies with the application not my observations. Also again realize I was amplifying the sound beyond any normal listening to see if I could detect the sound. Please try it yourself before you declare my findings in error.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2,117 of 3,218
Instead of just running a specific tone, see If you can manually sweep the tone. Try that and see if you can get a similar result by going up from like 1Khz.

Download the app and run the test yourself. Like Arnaurd I have far better things to do then run tone tests all day. You are probably correct in a sweep I would not detect it. All I was trying to prove is that the 846s were capable of producing sounds at 20,000 not that I heard it normally. Please read my posts before jumping to fallacious conclusions.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2,118 of 3,218
Download the app and run the test yourself. Like Arnaurd I have far better things to do then run tone tests all day. You are probably correct in a sweep I would not detect it. All I was trying to prove is that the 846s were capable of producing sounds at 20,000 not that I heard it normally. Please read my posts before jumping to fallacious conclusions.

You're still angry at the other guy lol. Don't get all bent out of shape. I had no conclusion period, fallacious or not.

I have an app, and have tried both methods. That's why I thought you might be interested in a doing a little perceptive experiment for your own experience.

And now for my less than pleasant shot:
You obviously don't have better things to do than go buy the app and try one experiment in the first place, so what's another 10 seconds or your time. And your post doesn't tell anyone who doesn't have both your amp and the 846 anything, at all. It took a second angry post to a very badly presented joke to get reasonable information about what you did out of you and that was after my post. There's no reasonable way to gauge SPL that way.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #2,119 of 3,218

That's because you'd instantly lose 70% of your hearing if you listened to a 1K tone at that level.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,120 of 3,218
Unfortunately I cannot run the test as the app will produce individual tones up to 20,000 hertz but the sweep only runs from 20-2,000 hertz.

I do apologize to you. You are correct I was annoyed by the other comment.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #2,121 of 3,218
That's because you'd instantly lose 70% of your hearing if you listened to a 1K tone at that level.

It's the same damage at 20K, you just can't "hear" it (maybe as well).

It doesn't matter if it makes sound at 20k or 30k at ridiculous spl levels, because effectively it's fallen off the graph in comparison to 1k and will be inaudible at normal levels, especially if anything else is playing in the easily audible spectrum. That's what they mean when they talk anout bandwidth, not that it's not there, just relatively. And honestly, if it was as high volume as you say, it could also possibly be a byproduct of the amplifier. Not saying it is as I have no idea about that amp.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #2,122 of 3,218

I completely agree with you. Again it was a capability test of the 846 not an attempt to blow out my hearing. I did enough of that in my youth.

I once had 10th row seats to Deep Purple and stood in front of a 25' wall of speakers during Jon Lord's keyboard solo. I could feel the sound wave hitting me. My ears rang for 3 days after it.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #2,123 of 3,218
You gotta be careful with those tone tests. Turning up the volume on frequencies that are at the limits of your hearing range, that are normally lower in the human range of perception, or normally require much less power to reproduce when played at normal levels (thus the drivers are designed to reproduce correctly at lower levels... like high frequencies)... in an attempt to make them audible... can very well damage drivers, even though you can't hear the frequencies well or even at all.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2,125 of 3,218
Unfortunately I cannot run the test as the app will produce individual tones up to 20,000 hertz but the sweep only runs from 20-2,000 hertz.

I do apologize to you. You are correct I was annoyed by the other comment.

No worries.

Thanks for trying. Shame the app won't do it but it's not exactly life and death lol.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,127 of 3,218
Is the Shure SE846 better than the Shure SRH 1840.

I tried the Shure SRH 1840 and it annihilates the Shure SE535. The difference is huge. :eek:

If the Shure SE846 is better than the Shure SRH 1840, I'm ordering it :p

The se846 is clearly superior to the srh1840 in all facets of sound besides sense of air and space. I find it much more realistic in terms of tone and texture compared to the open back Shures.

Honestly, the SE846 is a notch above the IE800's in terms of sound and what you get as a total package, and a better buy than my beloved akg k3003's (have to admit it).

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,129 of 3,218
For me, it's the balance filter. I have tried the white filter after seeing the graphs as I thought I may like it. It lasted about 5 minutes.

There's no question for me that the 846 midrange sounds most natural in the neutral settings. The bright filter turns it into another iem and it simply doesn't sound natural that way, bordering on shrillness.

By the way, the white filter is actually pretty much NO filter, you can see through, it's like a porous film. The blue and black filters look more similar (open cell black foam).

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,130 of 3,218
Has anyone really compared the black to the blue filter? I saw the FR chart and it seems only slightly warmer but how does that translate into the sound. Does the black filter cause the bass to bleed into the low midrange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back