SHURE SE535 Special Edition
Nov 8, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #17 of 35

Quote:

I am currently using a modified Westone ES cable as the original cable's memory wire was difficult.
These are as Shure says, SE535 with added zing

Just so we don't spread mis-information.  I read this to mean the Westone ES cable gives the SE535 added zing.

Or has Shure gone on record to say the red SE535 has added zing to the sound?

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
Just so we don't spread mis-information.  I read this to mean the Westone ES cable gives the SE535 added zing.

Or has Shure gone on record to say the red SE535 has added zing to the sound?

Apologies if my post was somewhat misleading.  Allow me to elaborate.

My statement ,"I am currently using a modified Westone ES cable as the original cable's memory wire was difficult.", implies that I originally was using the manufacturer supplied cable, but because I had difficulty with the memory wire I opted for an alternative.  This statement connotes nothing in regards to the SE535LTD-J's SQ.

The other statement, "These are as Shure says, SE535 with added zing.", is simply my ears telling me that I agree with Shure's claims.  BTW, the term "These" was in reference to the SE535LTD-J, and the term "zing" is how I summarized Shure's claims.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 35
Are they just testing these out to see how many they sell? If people still complain about treble and these give a treble boost, then aren't these just "better" than the old SE535s? If so, they should just roll them out in general, instead of letting everyone with SE535 regulars sit in the dust. Or, do you think they're just testing these out and then going to sell some kind of SE540s in the rest of the world?

I might be going to Asia soon, so I'll let you know if they have any on display (they tend to have IEMs on display and for preview use). And do you think the added "zing" is just psychological, or is it truly there? Are you able to test them side by side quickly with the SE535s?

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
Are they just testing these out to see how many they sell? If people still complain about treble and these give a treble boost, then aren't these just "better" than the old SE535s? If so, they should just roll them out in general, instead of letting everyone with SE535 regulars sit in the dust. Or, do you think they're just testing these out and then going to sell some kind of SE540s in the rest of the world?

I might be going to Asia soon, so I'll let you know if they have any on display (they tend to have IEMs on display and for preview use). And do you think the added "zing" is just psychological, or is it truly there? Are you able to test them side by side quickly with the SE535s?

Thanks!

Articles in circulation seem to indicate that Shure Japan requested Shure HQ to develop the Special Edition specific to Japanese market needs.  The same articles also indicate that Shure Asia upon requesting were also granted authority to distribute the product.  Apparently, Shure HQ has no intent to distribute to Europe or America (for now).

I can't say the SE535LTD-Js are better than the SE535.  They are different in that they do offer added zing (19,000 vs 19,500 Hz).  This was Shure's original claim, and the majority of local reviews comparing the two agree accordingly. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #22 of 35
I thought the SE535 did, indeed, fix the rolled off treble of SE530.  I would fear tweaking it even more could make the treble of SE535 LTD E too strident.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:
I thought the SE535 did, indeed, fix the rolled off treble of SE530.  I would fear tweaking it even more could make the treble of SE535 LTD E too strident.

Ditto. I'm quite content with the SE535's treble as well. 
smile.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #25 of 35
Upgraded to the Lune MKII Cable and Sony Hybrid Tips (utilizing Monster SuperTips Adapters).  Now just waiting for the "new" cushioned Sony Hybrid Tips.  This setup is addictive-highly recommended.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #26 of 35
\Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I though them a bit thick. I don't think a couple of DB of upper mid/highs would hurt if they don't get carried away with it.

I think that's pretty much the SE425. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #27 of 35
The red 535 just gets better and better. They are so revealing and every change in source or cable is immediately heard. I have a Baldur mk2 cable and 3.5 mm mini i/c. I also have a 5N OCC silver cable and matching 3.5mm mini i/c. My sources started off using them on a Note, then two Cowon D2+ (pink and blue) and now a Cowon X7. I was using a giant killer of an amp and over the weekend bought a Triad L3. The sound is wonderful.

I have the W4 and the 535 with 3rd party cable is imho class leading!! It beats the W4 on every front, of course price is approaching JH13 territory or other customs.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #28 of 35
I'm still in two minds with my SE535 red.

Comparing it with my SE215, the 215 has a more fun sound. The 535 has better details, soundstage and separation. But sometimes I find it a bit boring. And it's bass does not have as much impact as the 215.

This is my first high end IEM. So wondering whether I'm not used to a more balanced sound. Not sure whether to persist with it to get used to this type of sound or move on.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #29 of 35
You really need a third party cable. Avoid buying another copper one irrespective of how pure and cryo etc etc it is.

A copper/silver or pure silver and the sound changes will be night and day. The bass will be incredible, going low, great slam and attack with all the richness and texture. The highs improves just as much, full of detail etc....

Quote:
I'm still in two minds with my SE535 red.
Comparing it with my SE215, the 215 has a more fun sound. The 535 has better details, soundstage and separation. But sometimes I find it a bit boring. And it's bass does not have as much impact as the 215.
This is my first high end IEM. So wondering whether I'm not used to a more balanced sound. Not sure whether to persist with it to get used to this type of sound or move on.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #30 of 35
I'm afraid SE535Red won't have the same impact as SE215 anytime soon (still waiting for 2 SE535 alternate cables to confirm).
The dynamic microdriver powering the SE215 usually gives really nice bass, with good impact.

I have not come across a BA IEM capable of producing the same impact. UM3X and SE535Red can produce nice detailed bass, but they don't sound as warm as good dynamic driver IEMs.
Fortunately SE535Red / UM3X are excellent in all other departments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back