Shure SE535 - question to the owners
Nov 19, 2010 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

angstromer

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. Could anyone, please who owns Shures SE535 check for signs of anything like the stuff in the pictures (see the photos). It seems to me that some plastic on the nozzle has been scratched a bit. Now I am wondering whether I have done it myself trying to remove those blimey foams with my nails or whether it is a normal thing on the nozzle.

I am kind of hoping for the latter but I am guessing that is my fault - just need a confirmation. Bought them today and wouldn't like the nozzle to fall off before I even had a chance to to enjoy them.

Could you please have a look at the photos and check your pair to see if this is normal? I would really appreciate this. Thanks in advance.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 13
Both. The upper pic is the right, the lower the left earpiece.
I would think the plastic is too hard to be scratch by my feeble nails, but who knows? The right looks a bit worse.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Email the photos to Shure's Applications Engineering Dept. They should be able to tell you instantly if something is wrong.

Oops, just saw the time. Business hours are over for the week...

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 13
At first I thought it looked cracked/shattered. Now I think it looks more like a manufacturing inconsistency typical of (cheap) plastic products.  [Note:  I don't have these, so maybe I shouldn't have replied.  I did have the SE530 though and never noticed anything like what's in the picture. I would push for an exchange.]

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Nov 20, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks a lot.

They are definitely not cracked. It does seem like a connection between two pieces of plastic has been made in a way that is not exactly state of the art. My concern is that these are the places where the construction is potentially weaker which in with time may lead to the nozzle breaking off.

I really wonder what happens if something like that occurs after the guarantee period. I suppose that within the 2 years covered by the guarantee they replace the earphones, although one might argue whether the nozzle that has been broken off is really manufacturer's fault.

I don't think it influences the sound in any possible way.

I live in a country where customer service is in many cases (not all, though) like one in the wild west a hundred of years ago so I decided to go straight to the customer service in the US and wrote them an email asking for clarification. Will see what happens.

Tipwise decided to go with Tx-100 L, as my ear canals are quite long and narrow so no olives were good for me.

Still if anyone else has something like that on their Shures I'd like to hear about it, please.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 13
Hey angstromer,

I recently got my Shure SE535 and yea, I do have the same "crack" on both nozzles. Its abit annoying that you can't change tip as and when you want to like in my old E3C. 

I tried the freezing method and it works. But still have a creaking sound when removing the tips.

Agreed, the comply tips work better for me.

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Hey angstromer,

I recently got my Shure SE535 and yea, I do have the same "crack" on both nozzles. Its abit annoying that you can't change tip as and when you want to like in my old E3C. 

I tried the freezing method and it works. But still have a creaking sound when removing the tips.

Agreed, the comply tips work better for me.

Are Comply tips easier to get on and off the SE535 than Shure's foam tips?

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:

Much easier. Complies work like a charm. All you have to do is twist them gently and they will slide off with no unnecessary hassle whatsoever. Besides you don't get any wax in the earpieces as they are blocked in Tx's.

Thanks for the freezer solution - that is how I was removing the original foams in the first place.

BTW
Just viewed my earpieces under a magnifying glass (call me paranoid) and there is a chance that there might be a tiny little hole in one of the pieces. Don't want to play with them too much. I also wrote to the customer service in Poland and am waiting for their answer tomorrow.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

Much easier. Complies work like a charm. All you have to do is twist them gently and they will slide off with no unnecessary hassle whatsoever. Besides you don't get any wax in the earpieces as they are blocked in Tx's.

Thanks for the freezer solution - that is how I was removing the original foams in the first place.

BTW
Just viewed my earpieces under a magnifying glass (call me paranoid) and there is a chance that there might be a tiny little hole in one of the pieces. Don't want to play with them too much. I also wrote to the customer service in Poland and am waiting for their answer tomorrow.

Do update here on what the customer service in Poland says. If it is favourable, I may consider writing in to the customer service in my side.

Thanks.

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 13
Just a little update. Shure (Mr. Juergen) got back to me saying that I should send the IEM's back to the Polish rep and they will send me a new pair. I had just made a note of the number to make sure that I would have it tomorrow at work with me when I got another email from a Polish rep (Polsound) informing me that according to the suggestions from Shure I should send them the IEM's. I also received all the data necessary to get in touch with them including the name of the contact person.

I guess there's no exaggeration in what they say about Shure's customer service. Way to go and thank you Shure.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

They are definitely not cracked. It does seem like a connection between two pieces of plastic has been made in a way that is not exactly state of the art. My concern is that these are the places where the construction is potentially weaker which in with time may lead to the nozzle breaking off.

I really wonder what happens if something like that occurs after the guarantee period. I suppose that within the 2 years covered by the guarantee they replace the earphones, although one might argue whether the nozzle that has been broken off is really manufacturer's fault.

I don't think it influences the sound in any possible way.

I live in a country where customer service is in many cases (not all, though) like one in the wild west a hundred of years ago so I decided to go straight to the customer service in the US and wrote them an email asking for clarification. Will see what happens.

Tipwise decided to go with Tx-100 L, as my ear canals are quite long and narrow so no olives were good for me.

Still if anyone else has something like that on their Shures I'd like to hear about it, please.

I have UM56 connected on my SE530 and sound .....wonderfully nice!

d(-_-)b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back