Shure SE535, iPhone 4 and an amp. A few questions
Mar 31, 2011 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pindi

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently use an iPhone 4 with some SE535s and have been reasonably happy with the results. However, after using the 535s on a high end home audio system, I've found I'm not close to taking full advantage of the earphones. I realise that an iPhone 4 can't dream of matching a good home audio system but I still want to get more out of my earphones.

So, I was thinking of buying an amp. More specifically, a Headstage Arrow. I've read a ton of reviews that have raved about it, especially the bass boost (something I've found to be lacking in the 535s). However, I've yet to come across someone who's using the same rig I am who has used the Arrow so am still undecided.

Does the bass boost on the Arrow affect the mids or highs in anyway? I've recently used EQu for the iPhone; an EQ app and was quite surprised at how decent it was but it's still constrained by the iPhone's hardware so it can never be amazing. The bass boost on there worked well but it did seem to muddy the rest of the song as well and the clarity of the 535s is what I value the most.

Can anyone recommend an Arrow with this setup? I'm looking for more bass and I can't think of another way of putting it, just more 'oomph', more bite to the sound coming from the iPhone. I was thinking about a Pico Slim too but any comments from those with experience amping 535s, preferably with an iPhone would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pindi

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 14
Nobody? I've been reading for ages but haven't come across anything that answers my questions; there must be someone out there with a rig like this or at least 2 of the 3 components?

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 14
What kind of bass are you after? I have the 535 and 530 with a Pico Slim via a custom LOD. It gives a slight bass boost, not by much though (I estimate maybe a 20-30% boost, all EQ turned off). I'm happy with the amount of bass it produces on both IEM's. You getting that boost you are after with your home setup?

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm just looking for extra bass quantity. I've tried the same songs (CD on home setup, lossless on iPhone) on my home setup and the bass is there, a lot more than I ever expected from the 535s so am looking to get more from my iPhone. I know it'll never rival a proper home system but I'm sure I can get something else out of it.

Somewhere to demo a Pico slim, a headstage arrow or even any portable amp would be great but I live in Altrincham in England and there aren't any places I know of here or even in Manchester.

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
I'm just looking for extra bass quantity. I've tried the same songs (CD on home setup, lossless on iPhone) on my home setup and the bass is there, a lot more than I ever expected from the 535s so am looking to get more from my iPhone. I know it'll never rival a proper home system but I'm sure I can get something else out of it.

Somewhere to demo a Pico slim, a headstage arrow or even any portable amp would be great but I live in Altrincham in England and there aren't any places I know of here or even in Manchester.

Well from what i'm hearing, i get a nice bass boost from my Pico Slim (noticeable difference) and it also improves the quality as it bypasses the iPhone's built in amp.

iPhone->LOD->Slim->SE535 only down side to that set up is when you get calls you have to detach the LOD and that annoying message that the device is not compatible with the phone blah blah blah.

I live in Australia, so hearing amps isn't an option as well. I took a punt and bought the Slim and it paid off.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 14
I think that if you change the sound source (replacing the iPhone 4 by the Cowon S9 ) you can improve the sound a lot. I have a pair of Miles Davis earphones with an Fiio E7 amplifier and a Cowon S9 and I assure you that the sound heard is better that a top of the line HiFi  component system. If you like I can send you the S9 Settings. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks but I wouldn't be switching sources. I don't want to carry around another device in addition to my phone; at least the arrow is thin and can be strapped to the iPhone minimising bulk.

I may however consider it if the iPhone 5 is only a minor update in which case I wouldn't be getting it. Are Cowon devices really that much of a step up in terms of audio quality? I've had iPods before the iPhone and have to say that the iPhone 4 sounds pretty good (aside from the anaemic bass).

Thanks

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #13 of 14
I use the I-Phone 4 / LOD and Arrow 3g usually paired with Westone 3 or Shure 530's. I have the Arrow stuck to a I-phone case, which allows you to use the i-phone on its own if you need to go ultra slim/ lightweight.

I think you will find that the flexibility of the Arrow settings allows you to tune the sound to your taste. I have the  EQu app and it's pretty limited in what it does. more of a gimmick than a serious alternative.

FWIW The LOD  I use allows the i-phone to operate normally.  

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #14 of 14
I would like a copy of your settings as i'm about to lay my hands on an S9.
Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back