Shure SE535 ear piercing highs
Mar 4, 2011 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

BroBroPro

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a set of Shure SE535s and have noticed that some sounds are quite ear-piercing at semi-loud volumes. The most notable is the "s" sound in metal/rock songs (it sounds fine in softer songs), which is extremely loud and sharp and bothers me greatly. I've read reviews about the SE535s and have never seen a single review with a negative comment apart from the price. I've already brought them in and they even let me try a new set but they have the same problem. Is this normal?

Mar 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 16
I had the E500 and it was a bit sibilant. Not so hard as UM2 or W3, but the piercing "s" was bothering me a bit.

Try different tips - in my case tri-flange eliminated sibilance totally (but these are not quite the most comfortable tips).

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
I recently purchased a set of Shure SE535s and have noticed that some sounds are quite ear-piercing at semi-loud volumes. The most notable is the "s" sound in metal/rock songs (it sounds fine in softer songs), which is extremely loud and sharp and bothers me greatly. I've read reviews about the SE535s and have never seen a single review with a negative comment apart from the price. I've already brought them in and they even let me try a new set but they have the same problem. Is this normal?

No that is not normal. I would really look at playing around with different tips. To my ears, the SE535s have anything but strident treble.

What tips are you using?

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 16
If you think the SE535 is sibilant, stay FAR away from the Triple.fi 10!!! 
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 16
Hey thanks for all the responses. I've tried all the different tips and the triple flange ones appear to be the only ones that don't sound that sibilant, but they are not very comfortable XD. I was using the foam and silicon tips before. My friend actually has a pair of Triple.fi 10s. He won't let me try em though haha. I think it may have something to do with the fit. It seems the deeper in my ear canal I push, the less sibilant it becomes... Any ideas?

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:

No, you're not alone in finding the treble less than adequate. If you check the main SE535 thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread) and do a search for posts by music_4321 & shane55, you will find that not everyone has found the SE535 as good an IEM as others.

Quote:
If you think the SE535 is sibilant, stay FAR away from the Triple.fi 10!!! 
wink.gif

I never found the TF10s sibilant. Yet I found the SE535 highs rather grainy and slightly pronounced, and fatiguing at louder volumes. I found the TF10s to be an overall much better sounding IEM, but the fit is certainly not for everyone, that's for sure. I personally had no fit problems with either the SE535 or TF10, BTW.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Oh and also the detachable heads.

Have you heard them? Sorry, but if you swing on over the SE535 thread you will find that I and many who actually own them found their highs improved and extended (the SE530s had treble that was too rolled off for my liking), as well the sound stage opened up to be equivalent to that of the Westone 3s. The SE530s had an "in your head" kinda sound stage.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
I have owned TF10 Pro and SE535 for long times and I would say the SE535 is superior in every regard.

Ditto for me as well (you can also throw in ER-4P/S, RE0, IE8s and to a lesser degree the Westone 3s).

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #15 of 16
Is it possible that the sibilance is coming from a poorly recorded song? Does it happen in most songs or only a particular one? Also, what source are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back