Shure SE535 a bit too bright/sibilant?
Mar 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
Just wondering, do most of you consider the SE535 a bit too bright/sibilant--to the point of being fatiguing? I'm finding it hard to adjust to it, especially when compared to the better headphones I have.

I had a similar issue with the 535's.  There were a couple of spikes that irritated me to the point of fatigue.  You can try to EQ them down at 7kHz and 10kHz, that may help.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 8
EQing the Shure down on 10khz? It's gonna make them even more darker. I would try to find the peak between 5khz and 8khz.

EDIT. I'm talking about my old E500. But if the SE535 is indeed so much brighter in treble, maybe it could help.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah, I'm EQ'ing with a parametric EQ at about 7KHz with a moderately narrow bandwidth. It helps. But when I'm using portable players, I really prefer not having to use EQ since it drains the battery faster. That's the whole reason I got the SE535, because the W3's bass and treble had issues and required significant EQ'ing. I was hoping the SE535 would require no EQ'ing. 

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
EQing the Shure down on 10khz? It's gonna make them even more darker. I would try to find the peak between 5khz and 8khz.

EDIT. I'm talking about my old E500. But if the SE535 is indeed so much brighter in treble, maybe it could help.

My two main trouble areas/spikes were around 7kHz and around 9kHz, unfortunately foobar only allows me to adjust 7k and 10k, so I was forced to EQ them down at 10k.  I got tired of fiddling with EQ and sold them off.  I prefer no Eq.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 8
BTW, here are my EQ settings for the Shure SE535 and Westone 3:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/546077/my-meticulously-tweaked-eq-settings-for-shure-se535-and-westone-3

I really don't have any confidence that if I were to sell the SE535 and W3 off and continue to search for the ideal IEM, I'd find a pair that would require no EQ'ing. I might just keep the IEM's I have now and just rely on EQ, unless you guys have suggestions for IEM's that don't require any EQ and sound great as is.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 8
  Just wondering, do most of you consider the SE535 a bit too bright/sibilant--to the point of being fatiguing? I'm finding it hard to adjust to it, especially when compared to the better headphones I have.

Hmm, I havent felt that at all.  I find them to very well-behaved and smooth headphones with warmish highs, almost bordering on "polite" - and I am usually very sensitive to bright treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back