Shure SE530
Dec 4, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henweee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And i know for a fact that if you want good bass, the Shures are not the IEMs you are looking for. Shures are really balance in highs, mids, and lows. But if you are looking for good bass, you're better off with the Atrios or Westones.

"Good bass" is an ambiguous phrase in this thread. See, I say the SE530s have "good bass." You and I are probably not talking about the same things though.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #32 of 41
Good bass? Or ear damaging bass?
I've heard low-end Sony's and all other low-end brands with tons of bass, and quite frankly, after 30 minutes it gets annoying.
I couldn't be happier with my Shure SE530's! The lows are amazing, the mids are to die for and the highs, though rolled off, are also formidable when EQ'd right (I ususally don't even EQ them).
And detail-wise, they are the best I've ever heard.

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #33 of 41
I just got a set of 530s a couple of days ago and they sealed perfectly instantly, are incredibly comfortable, and the bass is light-years better than the Head Direct RE-2s I started with. I suspect it's an ear-seal problem too.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #34 of 41
Repeated post

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Good bass" is an ambiguous phrase in this thread. See, I say the SE530s have "good bass." You and I are probably not talking about the same things though.

Your definition of "good bass", is it lovingly yet tamely molding around the guitar whilst retaining that back of the head feeling. (and not too thumpy)?

Just askin' cause thats mine
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #36 of 41
let me tell you my story and why i bought shure 530's

first i was using sony ex90 (90€ half iem half bud)

then after some time cable broke completely..and i went to look for another iems....i saw the shure stand in audioshop and tried the cheapest shure...at first listening it sounded average to me
frown.gif
maybe even worse than sony..
then i saw the se530 with a price of 499€ and i said to myself noway im gonna spend that much on a headphone but i still wanted to try.....

just secs after i put them i was overly impressed by the sound quality...
the shop owner was like "now we are talking about baby
biggrin.gif
"
and i bought of course...i could have bought much cheaper ofc but i never regret...

shure se530 is best iem in OVERALL performance imho..

triplefi got better highs and w3 better separation and detail but tf10 looks very stupid and its uncomfortable,
and w3 sounds simply "off" and "lifeless"

shure530 IMO best sealing, coolest looking, best midrange and clarity..
soundstage is wide, with w3 having the widest soundstage but no height and depth, shure530 is more like "rounded" decent width, height and depth.

and btw dont look for bloated boomy bass in this iem, because it has balanced bass with just a little tendency to boomy

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #37 of 41
My immediate reaction with W3 after more than 2 years with SE530 is that bass is definitely better than the latter, so much more refined and "truer".
I listened to The Killer's "Sam's Town" and the drum was just phenomenal, you just know that how bass is supposed to sound
bigsmile_face.gif
Everyone is on about SE530's midrange but I find W3 more balanced and I now have no fatigue after a prolonged period of listening which I did with SE530!
Without sounding shallow but I would just trade SE530 for W3 just for the cable alone, it's so much more comfortable. My GF bashes her UM1 about a lot and the cable is still intact whereas I had to send back my first pair of E500 for a replacement due to cracked cable.
I have no problem with fitting and isolation with W3 either, it's just as good as SE530 and now more comfy due to the light cable. Glad I sold my SE530 and never look back.
My tip is tri-flange with the top bit chopped off and half the bottom bit
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by toucam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My immediate reaction with W3 after more than 2 years with SE530 is that bass is definitely better than the latter, so much more refined and "truer".
I listened to The Killer's "Sam's Town" and the drum was just phenomenal, you just know that how bass is supposed to sound
bigsmile_face.gif
Everyone is on about SE530's midrange but I find W3 more balanced and I now have no fatigue after a prolonged period of listening.
My tip is tri-flange with the top bit chopped off and half the bottom bit
bigsmile_face.gif

except lows,mids,highs, detail and separation wasnt the sound different?
i mean sounds like obviously artificially produced.

can you share your experience?

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #39 of 41
I'm no expert in breaking music down to low, mid, high but I simply just prefer the sound of W3, I'd say it's warmer and less "harsh" or forward/bright is the word(s). And this's probably why I'm now having no fatigue with W3 after even a few hours.
My immediate reaction was that W3 sounded "duller" and less seperation as if everything is muddled but after a few songs it grew on me so fast
L3000.gif

Switching back and forth between these two phones, SE530 did sound more critical but very dry and dare I say, boring!
I don't find W3 artificial in anyway but I can see why your impression can be as such.
Another point is that for someone like me using these phones everyday commuting to Central London on public transport, the light cable on W3 makes such a difference!
It's also worth noting is that I find no sibilance with W3 whatsoever, I was really worried reading about this but happy to say my ears are a completely sibilance-free zone.
At the end of the day, each to their own I suppose but for the kind of music I listen to I do find the W3 are overall more balanced phones, not necessarily better but it just suits my needs better.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #40 of 41
With W3 I am no longer wishing for that upper treble that seemed a little lacking on SE530. I don't think there's any denying that W3 has better treble and it's clean sounding.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by darylrodney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I received my pair of shures this morning and have spent all day with all the sleeves and I must say I am very disappointed.

For some reason, the bass on my pair out of the box is very weak. It is about the same as my pair of $60 sonys. Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

Yours,
Daryl

I don't know which sony buds you have but I've had sony ex51 long ago.
Sony 51ex has different kind of bass than shure's. It is very boomy bass, I also felt that sony had stronger bass but other than boomy factor, shure's are way better than sony because of clear sound in every other aspect especially the midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back