Shure SE530
Dec 4, 2008 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

darylrodney

New Head-Fier
So I received my pair of shures this morning and have spent all day with all the sleeves and I must say I am very disappointed.

For some reason, the bass on my pair out of the box is very weak. It is about the same as my pair of $60 sonys. Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

Yours,
Daryl

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 41
No, they are a really good headphone. Some people prefer them over the UE-10's (but not me). I know they are arematures, but give them and the cable 100 hours of burn-in. They change pretty drastically.
My only pet peeve is the lack of the memory cable over your ears..

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 41
if you cannot hear bass, you did not get a good seal.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Probably have the wrong size tips on or not pushed into the ear canal far enough or both. Try different sizes and tips till you find the one that is both very comfortable and seals well. You don't have to look for bass with the SE530s.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only pet peeve is the lack of the memory cable over your ears..

My sentiment as well.
Quote:

...or maybe the OP is getting too used to bloated bass. It happens.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

I agree, I suspect that is the culprit.

And I have to disagree with the burn in suggestion. They don't need it, although your ears might.

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 41
Thanks for the advice!

I've been experimenting with the sleeves and am currently using the large foam sleeve. The bass is still slightly underwhelming.
Should it be under performing if it has just been out of the box?

Daryl

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 41
Daryl, which set of cans are you coming from?

I do not think the SE530s are known as a bass lover's IEM, at least mine are pretty balanced top to bottom with a killer midrange.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 41
knowing that it is armatures, these typically dont require burn-in and have its true sound pretty much out the box. definitely continue playing with the tips. which sony did you have? tip size when you used those?

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 41
As far as IEMs are concerned, the bass you get from the 530 is exceptional.

I didn't personally notice any "burn-in" effect... they just sounded great from the first listen.

I'm surprised that after a day of experimenting with tips that you haven't been able to get some semblance of excellent sound out of the 530. Are your Sonys IEMs? After experimenting for a day with all sorts of different tips and the 530 don't sound appreciable better than $60 Sonys then:

1) Something about the shape of your ear doesn't allow a good fit

or

2) There's something wrong with your 530

There's no way a $60 pair of headphones is going to touch the 530. Not that all things expensive are good, but c'mon the 530 are some of the best IEMs money can buy. Something's not right.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by darylrodney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every review I have read has emphasized the astounding bass on this earphone. (which is the cause of my current worry)

I wouldn't describe the bass performance to be "astounding". It's balanced, tight and well defined. It's definitely not overwhelming. Nor should it be - it's all about balance. In my opinion, the real bright spot for the 530 is the killer smooth midrange.

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by darylrodney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a middle tip size for the sonys, the middle foam on the shures seem slightly loose.

Is it fair to say that with foam sleeves, if in doubt, go a size higher?

I would have to say yes. The fit should be pretty tight. A good test would be to just have the headphones in your ears with no music on. They should pretty much block out most ambient noise around you. If you have a good fit they attenuate around 30dB of ambient noise... like a good set of earplugs. Having said that, with the foam sleeves that's pretty much the feeling you get (... the foam ear plug feeling).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back