Shure SE530
Dec 4, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #16 of 41
IMHO, and I know that this opinion will be very unpopular, after testing the SE530 for hours my conclusion was that the bass in the SE530 is really poor. It goes low, but the tightness and the amount is really lacking. Even the SA6 whose bass everyone complains about has better bass, its extension is poorer but it is a lot more punchy. So I really can't understand why so many people hype the SE530's bass. I had a hard time believing that the SE530's bass was so poor when I first heard it, but the more I listened to it the more I am sure that the SE530's bass pales in comparison to its peers.

EDIT: On a second though maybe it's not accurate to say that the SA6's bass is better, like I mentioned it has a better punch but lacks extension. But I think the Triplefi and Westones easily has better bass than the SE530.

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #17 of 41
LOL
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #19 of 41
I also believe the bass on the se530 is lacking. It's acurate bass and all but the quantity is lacking, but it has got quite alot of punch in my opinion. I honnestly prefer my way cheap ultimate ears super.fi 3 studios to my shures. Maybe it's personal or my ears just respond or prefer the sound of the ue better even thought the shures are much more technologically advanced. I am getting a Fiio E5 and hopping it will improve the sound of my shures using an ipod nano 4G

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #20 of 41
sounds like you guys should be looking at something other than IEM's for your listening TBH., I own the SE530 and previously had the triples they're great IEM's I just prefer the shures for comfort, looks, and reliability. but if you aren't getting enough base from these and are trying a filo to get better sound on an already efficient IEM then IMO you should try something totally different. the bass on both these is very accurate and not at all overwhelming. I get the feeling that you dont know what bass is supposed to sound like. I come from a production background and if anything the bass on the SE530 is a touch more than it should be for a flat response so if you find that not enough then I suggest you go a different direction. you can add better sound with an ampo but not juyst a filo. if it were less efficient phones than we are talking about then I would agree but the filo will not improve the quality you need a better amp than that. the filo is good for some purposes but you shouldnt be buying an amp as some sort of EQ; just use an EQ if you want that.

this is all IMO of course

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #22 of 41
I have seen plenty of posts on this site that say the SE530s have way overdone, "bass head" bass and others (like this one) saying "where's the bass?" It just goes to show it is not likely an IEM can please all ears.

Someone earlier said the OP either has a bad seal OR broken SE530s. I say there is another OR to that: OR your expectations regarding bass are unrealistic. The SE530s do not produce bone rattling, deep in your chest bass. But they do produce well controlled, deep bass. What I have found is it matters a lot what the recording you are listening to really provides. Listen to Goldfrapp's Black Cherry or Sneaker Pimp's Becoming X, for example to hear some deep, extended bass that is almost overwhelming. But most recordings (that I listen to anyways) do not feature massive bass.

If you are looking for subwoofer, rattle all the rivets in your car-type bass, these will not provide that.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #23 of 41
The way i usually check if I've got a good seal is to hold them in / push them in a little further and see if the sound is any different. Try that. If the sound doesn't change, and you don't think you're getting any bass, then either your 500's or knackered or your source is. The 500's have got excellent bass, mine have anyway.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you cannot hear bass, you did not get a good seal.

X2

Plus the SE530's have armature drives; so don't require "burning in"
=]

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #25 of 41
If I'm going for more bass with my 530s, I usually use the large olives or the triple flanges. The triple flanges have actually become my all-purpose favorite sleeve for the SE530s, ever since I actually found out how to put them in right
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #27 of 41
The sound source for bass also is important. I thought bass was anemic on my SE530 w/ t-mo wing until I tried a friend's iphone. The sound stage opened up when using an amp as well (more so on the t-mo wing than iphone).
Foamies work best for me for bass...I've never been able to get the silicone things to work...

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lon420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm going for more bass with my 530s, I usually use the large olives or the triple flanges. The triple flanges have actually become my all-purpose favorite sleeve for the SE530s, ever since I actually found out how to put them in right
smily_headphones1.gif

x2!

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #29 of 41
I think certain listeners have a certain expectation on bass. I just recently purchased the Shures and the Atrios. And i know for a fact that if you want good bass, the Shures are not the IEMs you are looking for. Shures are really balance in highs, mids, and lows. But if you are looking for good bass, you're better off with the Atrios or Westones.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #30 of 41
It’s funny but there was another thread about someone not happy with the bass. I think the bass is great on the E500s, the midrange on all the Shures are very good, and the treble…. Well there’s the problem for me, it’s good treble but too rolled off, which is good and bad depending on the music.
I’ve only used the E500s with an amp though, so can’t comment on them without .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back