Shure SE530 vs. Triple Fi 10 (wire vs fit)
Mar 24, 2009 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

homers54321

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, im looking to buy a top tier IEM around $250 and it seems like the SE530 and Triple Fi 10 are the clear choices. Thing is though, they both have major flaws. The 530's have the wire problem and the Triple Fi's look like they are made for big ears. Im coming from the UM1's and I use the small comply tips and they fit like a dream. Will I have a problem with the fit of the Triple Fi's? If the Triple Fi's are indeed too big for my ears, then it will be an easy choice to get the 530's as I'd rather have the wire problem rather than a horrible fit and seal.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 41
yes the triple-fi are HUGE, the wire problem with the SE530 has improved notably, some are still having problems, but they may be old stock or not be being treated very well., I much prefer the SQ of SE530 over TF10. the comfort factor is a no-brainer withthe SE530 miles ahead here. Even with the flip-flop mod, which you switch the driver units left to right so they dont stick out so far, doesnt solve the lproblem as they are still massive. I actually had problems with the TF10 cable too, mine failed after 2 weeks and I RMA's them in exchange for the shures. wasnt dead keen on the sound either. both have their lovers and haters though and it seems the TF10 have some very loyal followers, i'm just not one of them. I do understand that my problem with the TF10 cable isnt widespread though.

I still love my SE530 though even though I use my W3 more often

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 41
Always hard for me to get a good seal on any UE products that I have tried. But thats just me, so YMMV. Many people get very good fit. For fit, SE530 wins hands down, but who knows what kind of sound sig you will enjoy more. The wiring on the TF10 is replaceable, so that is a plus as well.

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 41
TF10 Flip mod and overear makes the fit issue less awkard. But then cant wear it straight down :p

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 41
I don't have the Triple fi's, but I have the Super fi 5 Pro's and they're pretty much in the same casing... a replaceable cable is a nice plus for the UE's but I've heard of supply problems with it going on right now. It also has a memory wire, which some people like, but for others, such as myself, are not too big on. Even with the flip mod it'll stick out a lot and there are debates of the sound changing with it flipped (I noticed as well, it sounded a bit off... and yes, I flopped them properly). The fit problems are reported by many users of UE and Shures typically have less problems in that regard. As for the 530's wires, if you have the latest batch then your chances of cable problems will be pretty low... and even if there is a problem you'll know that you are backed by a 2 year warranty (plus you'll never have to worry about supply problems like the UE have!).

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 41
The UE cable doesnt really suffer issues like Shure does, not really needed to replace, but yeah for improvements probably needed.

Yeah even with the flip mod it is abit sticks out, better than stock thou.

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 41
I own the Super.Fi 5 Pro's and I have a terribly hard time getting a proper fit. Pretty sure they are the same size as the TF10's. I'm personally looking for something more comfortable myself.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #9 of 41
I tested out the Triple.fi's the other day. The bass and treble signature wasn't for me. A bit too powerful or something, making it seem crude. I can't exactly point a finger at what is causing it, but they're not for me. However, I did test out the Westone 3's, and wow. Bought a pair on the spot and they're happily sounding out tunes from my 80GB iMod and my iBasso D3.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 41
anybody that chooses a set of phones for the cable rather than comfort has wrong priorities. so when its wire vs comfort the se530 wins hands down, the design, fit, feel and comfort are simply a step ahead, in fact im amazed ultimate ears stuck to that design after the super fi 5 pro.

sound quality has been debated thousands of times before, do a search, i prefer the shures as its priority is midrange and lows, and midrange should be done right otherwise it dont hit the spot, just like the triple fi, its a hollow sound.

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 41
really thinking about gettin either se530 or ie8... cant decide
frown.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really thinking about gettin either se530 or ie8... cant decide
frown.gif

se530 is 3 armatures, IE8 is a very high quality full range driver.

the IE8 will have more impact a lower volume, it will carry great detail and quality at lower volume but i suspect the multi driver setup of the se530 and westone 3 will run away at high volume and when the IE8 starts struggling with all the ranges the multi driver phones will still sound fresh and uncomplex.

i have had neither of the IE8 or westone 3 but common sence says the armatures will be better at higher volume and the dynamic will sound much fuller at lower volume, its always been the case, are you a rock out loud listener or a keep it calm and enjoy the music type of person, if your the latter then the IE8 may be for you but if you like a little bit more juice i suspect the se530 and westone 3 may provide a little more quality at high volume.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anybody that chooses a set of phones for the cable rather than comfort has wrong priorities.

The fact that there has been known problems with the Shure cables and it's not a user replaceable cable like the UE's and also when factored with the price I think it's a valid consideration. I quite like the E500/530's, I owned a pair for over a year but alas I suffered the dreaded cable cracking problem at which point I decided to move on as I didn't think it was a smart move having that much money invested in a product with such a widespread problem.

In regards to comfort I always had minor issues with the Shures, nothing overly serious but one ear always felt a bit funny. The UE's are a bit more of a chore to get on initially but once I had them on I didn't really have an issue with them. As far as sound goes with the UE's in stock form I'd give the edge to the Shure's but replace the UE's stock cable with one from Null Audio and the roles reverse. The TF10's with Null Audio cable are one of my favorite IEM's, not the most practical mind you, as the cable is a bit stiff and unwieldy but on a pure sonic level they are right up there.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact that there has been known problems with the Shure cables and it's not a user replaceable cable like the UE's and also when factored with the price I think it's a valid consideration. I quite like the E500/530's, I owned a pair for over a year but alas I suffered the dreaded cable cracking problem at which point I decided to move on as I didn't think it was a smart move having that much money invested in a product with such a widespread problem.

In regards to comfort I always had minor issues with the Shures, nothing overly serious but one ear always felt a bit funny. The UE's are a bit more of a chore to get on initially but once I had them on I didn't really have an issue with them. As far as sound goes with the UE's in stock form I'd give the edge to the Shure's but replace the UE's stock cable with one from Null Audio and the roles reverse. The TF10's with Null Audio cable are one of my favorite IEM's, not the most practical mind you, as the cable is a bit stiff and unwieldy but on a pure sonic level they are right up there.

i agree, my point was when you go to buy headphones the comfort should be above the cable on the list.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree, my point was when you go to buy headphones the comfort should be above the cable on the list.

You're full of it, that's not what you were saying at all. The debate has been about the flaws between the two, the cable problems of the Shures and the comfort issues with the UE's. If you're comments were meant in a general sense then they are of no use to this debate whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back