Shure SE530 vs Klipsch Custom 3
Aug 21, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understood. It happens to me a lot. But since I've never heard the SE530s, I can't comment on the high frequency part. But I do believe I know what Spanish is referring to. It has to do with the crossover timing and programming. It would be a difficult task getting three drivers to play the correct parts of the music signal in such a small space and then to have them play the correct note by note. I believe Spanish is relating that the crossover frequencies are way off for the high end nature of these phones and need more serious calibration. It's apparent Spanish has a very highly tuned sense of musical hearing and can hear the inadequacies in the crossover programming.

If this is the case, a company would do well to hire Spanish as a calibrator for their multi-driver canalphones, he/she may be a naturally gifted person.

I think I need more time critical litening and just more time and experience listening to headphones before I would be looking for such things but it sounds to me, if what you hypothersize is correct, that spanish may well be a bat of some variety.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #48 of 63
I would wager that most people can't discern inadequacies in such a canalphone that isn't perfectly tuned, or even sufficiently tuned, as to provide exceptional crossover and timing capabilities. And I bet Shure is aware of this and might be taking advantage of it and just putting out a merely acceptable product that, to the majority, sounds excellent, but to those few in the minority of capable discernment, they just sound haphazard. I don't believe it's limited to Shure, either.

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #49 of 63
How about a brand new pair of Klipsch Image X-10's for $179 shipped vs Shure SE530 at its lowest price? Are they worth the extra $$ now? Any info appreciated. Thanks....Jack

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by pegleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a brand new pair of Klipsch Image X-10's for $179 shipped vs Shure SE530 at its lowest price? Are they worth the extra $$ now? Any info appreciated. Thanks....Jack

If I didn't have a set of X10s already, I'd be on that Newegg deal like a cat on nip. Yes, they are very much worth the cost at $350 but they are $179 @ Newegg. And Newegg is one of the most supreme online retailers this century has been graced with. And Newegg is an authorized Klipsch dealer.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #51 of 63
If only I had $179... and they shipped to Canada....
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #53 of 63
shure se530 are incredible. only problem is that the ipod is unable to drive them, even with my current amp, the bass is very weak. mids and highs sound superb.

when i read about the dual subs in each earbud, i thought the base would be mind blowing. Pairing this with the ipod nano and a portable amp was dissapointing though. I thought i had been ripped off by good marketing and shure fanboys who wouldnt dare criticize their se500/530, lest they regret "blowing" $400+ cash. surely the first time i heard these, i thought there were dual tin cans pumping out the bass, let alone dual subs.

well let me tell you,when i plugged these into my PCs xfi soundcard, and cranked up the bass in advanced audio quality, my jaw dropped. The low end i heard was essentially identical to the skull rattling bass of a car system stacked with a row of 12 inch subs. there. trying to run these through an ipod is like trying to empty a lake with a drinking straw. However, if you have a good source, youll find out that those dual subs really do exist, and they sound incredible at that, let alone the mids and highs.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyd171 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shure se530 are incredible. only problem is that the ipod is unable to drive them, even with my current amp, the bass is very weak. mids and highs sound superb.

when i read about the dual subs in each earbud, i thought the base would be mind blowing. Pairing this with the ipod nano and a portable amp was dissapointing though. I thought i had been ripped off by good marketing and shure fanboys who wouldnt dare criticize their se500/530, lest they regret "blowing" $400+ cash. surely the first time i heard these, i thought there were dual tin cans pumping out the bass, let alone dual subs.

well let me tell you,when i plugged these into my PCs xfi soundcard, and cranked up the bass in advanced audio quality, my jaw dropped. The low end i heard was essentially identical to the skull rattling bass of a car system stacked with a row of 12 inch subs. there. trying to run these through an ipod is like trying to empty a lake with a drinking straw. However, if you have a good source, youll find out that those dual subs really do exist, and they sound incredible at that, let alone the mids and highs.

Hmm, but that does not make sense.. I thought that 530s have a high impedance and high sensitivity, which would make them easy to drive with low power? I might be mistaking here in tech stuff, please correct me if i am wrong.

Now, I am currently researching hi end buds and i am looking at getting either Klipsch-3, SE310, or SE420... Price wise, K-3 and SE310 are almost identical, while SE420 is much more. Now, quality of sound... Please give your best and honest opinions.. I listen to everything.. From Goa trance to heavy metal to country, to classical, jazz.
o2smile.gif

Thank you all.

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #55 of 63
high impedance headphone are harder to drive. normally full size cans can have impedance of 200 Ohms and above. this definitely need amp to drive.

for SE530, iirc, it's 37 Ohms. portable players still able to drive it but not to it's full potential. Impedance rating doesnt reveal everything.

For your music taste, go with safe route, Sleek SA6. read through SA6 thread to get the impression of the IEM.

Beware of the build quality issue though. otherwise it's a very good IEM.

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

high impedance headphone are harder to drive. normally full size cans can have impedance of 200 Ohms and above. this definitely need amp to drive.

Wrong. Depends on sensivity.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ouch. i always though higher impedance harder to drive and sensitivity related to hiss noise
smily_headphones1.gif

need to get back to my book and study more haha

No, my (basic) understanding marries to yours there toughnut. Impedance is basically resistance so increased impedance in a circuit would mean you need greater power to drive the current around it (effectively), right? I thought sensitivity was to do with how clear and meticulous the sound form the sound channel is detected and reproduced ie a DAP's/laptop's hp out may produce hiss/distortion (may be the secondary problem/weakness here, the primary being the inner components or circuitory etc of the source actually producing the hiss/distortion) and the more sensitive a hp is the more this is fed back to your ears. I know theres a relationship between the two though also, a connection. I think it's that the higher the impedance of a set of phones, the harder the source's amp has to work to drive them, for the reason I've already detailed. This means in DAP's, for example, the quality of the amp means that, as its worked harder, it produces more dstortion/hiss ie as the impedance of a set of phones increases. Then, the more sensitive the phones are, the more they will detect and relay this hiss/distortion.

However, I know a resistor adaptor/attenuator is meant to reduce hiss so I know I've got something amiss here; my memory on this is a bit foggy!

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #59 of 63
I've heard both (and currently own the custom 3's), and I find that they sound VERY similar, quite warm and very detailed. The se530 probably has a very slight edge in bass, but I went for the custom 3's because of the low price I got them for (about $175 locally) and the memory wire which greatly helps them to stay in your ears.

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would wager that most people can't discern inadequacies in such a canalphone that isn't perfectly tuned, or even sufficiently tuned, as to provide exceptional crossover and timing capabilities. And I bet Shure is aware of this and might be taking advantage of it and just putting out a merely acceptable product that, to the majority, sounds excellent, but to those few in the minority of capable discernment, they just sound haphazard. I don't believe it's limited to Shure, either.

That's why they're the choice of most audio engineers and professional reviewers. They're just clueless unlike your speculation without any foundation whatsoever. LOL I guess shure doesn't have enough engineering capability or experience to do a very simple 1st order x-over.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back