Shure SE530 -- too much definition?
Jan 13, 2010 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

tony2win

New Head-Fier
First post here on Head-Fi, so please excuse my n00bishness.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for the lack of refinement of this post; I'd like to think of myself as an up and coming audiophile, but I know I have leagues to go.

For the record: I rarely use speakers or full-sized headphones. My situation at home (and being away from home) generally restricts me to IEMs.

I love my Shure e4c earbuds. I can sit back and listen to them all day long. I can choose to either focus on the sound, or just sit back and relax and let the music wash over me. I had never heard such clarity prior to using these. The only thing I don't like about them is that the cord isn't modular, and I'd like to start using these with a mic adapter so that I can use it with my cellphone once in a while.

So, thinking that maybe I should go the route of even higher-end earbuds from Shure that have a modular cord, I recently purchased a pair of Shure SE530s. The sound quality is AMAZING. But for some reason, I just can't get used to them. Maybe it's something about the sound signature, but I feel like I just can't relax while listening to them. It's like something about the sound is forcing me to pay attention. Maybe it's the overwhelming bass (even when used with the "bass reducer" on my crappy source (iPhone)). Maybe the sound separation is just too much. I'm really not sure.

I was wondering if anyone had any comment as to what I'm trying to put into words about them, or if they had any suggestions. I'm even thinking about selling the SE530s and getting something else, just because I don't think I'll ever get used to it. If I do, is there anything comparable to the e4c's, or...? I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hell, I'd probably be happy finding someone who could make the cord on my e4c's modular...

Cheers!

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 44
Ok, haven't heard SE530, but many complain of fatigue with high-clarity phones. From what I understand, this is usually with phones that have high treble detail. I used to experience that with my etymotics, but I eventually go used to it. Since getting a few other phones (RE0, UE TF10), I find I experience it less, since I find myself using all of them in rotation.

I think that the only course of action is to buy more phones.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 44
What bitrate are your source files? Using low quality files may actually cause you some amount of fatigue, since the higher end earphones are detailed enough to expose the flaws in low quality audio files. You should consider a minimum of 192k AAC on your iPhone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 44
The SE530 is one of the more detailed earphones you can buy. They hide nothing, and they will not favor poor recordings. As well, if you're not used to the level of detail, it can be a bit off-putting at first.

I don't consider the SE530 to be bass heavy. Rather it's relatively light on bass compared to it's competition. The SE530 focuses more on midrange mainly, and one side-effect is that we as humans are the most sensitive to the midrange frequencies. We pick up variations readily and can be put off by small problems.

From the way it sounds, you would be more inclined to a high level yet milder earphone, something that isn't so forward and stark. I would suggest you try Etymotic's ER4S as an alternative. You still get the mid-centric response like the SE530 but in a more subtle, fuller, balanced presentation. The sound stage is bigger and more spacious as well.

It may be that you simply want something smoother, more luscious. For a top end product, the IE8 is milder in presentation, but it has a lot more bass then the SE530. Stepping down to a more budget level, Sleek Audio's SA6 is a good option. It's a smoother, fuller sound that you might favor, and is tunable and lets you shape the frequency response to your liking. I'll say it's not as good as anything mentioned above, but it's possibly better fitting for your tastes which makes it better for you overall.

It's tough to say.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the way it sounds, you would be more inclined to a high level yet milder earphone, something that isn't so forward and stark. I would suggest you try Etymotic's ER4S as an alternative.

I thought the ER4S was more aggressive than that? Also if you want to go down that route an amp is mandatory.

I know I've been recommending these a lot, but if you get a pair of RE0s and put some shure olives on them, the olives cut out a lot of the upper treble, making for a much more relaxed experience. Have you tried reducing the treble instead of the bass and turning the volume down a bit? Just a thought.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 44
Hmmmm...maybe the OP needs a downgrade?

Not to "diss" the high-end IEM league...but I feel if the listener is fatigued with all that's happening in the background, it means:

1) He prefers a more laid back presentation of the music blaring from his 'phones;
2) He needs to "acclimatize" to the "stark" presentation of multiple-BA IEMs

I believe the e4cs, as much as they are up their in the IEM rankings, use a single driver (I don't know if it's BA or dynamic), which may, more or less, restrain the music from sounding too precise. Although I've made a dramatic jump from dynamic driver-based IEMs to BA-based IEMs (Shure SCL2 ---> UE TF10 Pro), I really haven't experienced any feeling of fatigue at all. Maybe it's really in the ears of the listener.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope you'll find the right IEM for your own preferences so you can finally enjoy the music how you want it to be heard. (Ooops...don't mistake it for a pitch for UEs.
biggrin.gif
)

Cheers!
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 44
Sounds to me like the SE530 is too much in-your-face for your taste. You want a more relaxed and laid back presentation. Among the Shures I think the SE420 would have been the better choice for you.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 44
Wow, you guys are awesome here. Thanks for all the input; I really appreciate it!

I can see what you guys mean by the SE530s just being too much. I guess I'll be trying to sell them or trade them away pretty soon.

I guess the SE420 would be a logical upgrade from the e4c. At the same time, my interest was piqued mvw2's post about the IE8. I'm guessing the SE420 would be the safer choice, but do you guys have any input? If the mids are a bit too much for me right now, and I'm looking for a smoother sound, would the IE8 be a good choice?

Thanks again for all the input, guys!

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony2win /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you guys are awesome here. Thanks for all the input; I really appreciate it!

I can see what you guys mean by the SE530s just being too much. I guess I'll be trying to sell them or trade them away pretty soon.

I guess the SE420 would be a logical upgrade from the e4c. At the same time, my interest was piqued mvw2's post about the IE8. I'm guessing the SE420 would be the safer choice, but do you guys have any input? If the mids are a bit too much for me right now, and I'm looking for a smoother sound, would the IE8 be a good choice?

Thanks again for all the input, guys!

If your ears are "anatomically correct", the TF10s may be worth your while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 44
Try the westone 3, I think the ie8 will have too much bass for you.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the westone 3, I think the ie8 will have too much bass for you.

I'm beginning to think that it's just the separation/in-your-face-ness of... well, pretty much everything of the SE530s that gets me, and necessarily the bass. I'm still trying to learn and figure things out as I go along. Almost everything you guys say make sense, though, so I'm open to all suggestions!

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 44
Before you do anything too hasty, how much time have you spent with the SE530? Perhaps you just need to give your ears and brain some more time to acclimate to the new sound signature.

As already mentioned above, the SE530 is not a bass-heavy phone. If you have an aversion to bass presence, then you'd probably best steer away from the IE8 and even the TF10 for that matter, as both have "bigger" bass than the SE530 to my ears. Although both have more spacious and relaxed sound signatures as I hear them than the SE530.

Maybe the REO or the CK10 may be suitable options for you. Both are regarded as neutral sounding phones in these parts, but I've not heard either.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't consider the SE530 to be bass heavy. Rather it's relatively light on bass compared to it's competition. The SE530 focuses more on midrange mainly, and one side-effect is that we as humans are the most sensitive to the midrange frequencies. We pick up variations readily and can be put off by small problems.

From the way it sounds, you would be more inclined to a high level yet milder earphone, something that isn't so forward and stark. I would suggest you try Etymotic's ER4S as an alternative. You still get the mid-centric response like the SE530 but in a more subtle, fuller, balanced presentation. The sound stage is bigger and more spacious as well.

erm untill recently the 530 was thought of a bass monster.

something that isnt stark and your suggesting the ER4???? the ER4 is savage in its presentation, granted less bass but god the highs would kill if you find the 530 fatigueing.

as others here have suggested the 420 from what ive read could be what your wanting but ive not heard so cant really say

Users who are viewing this thread

Back