Shure SE530...STILL A GREAT IEM !!
Jan 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT.

the only one that really made a dent IMO is Yuin, but that was in the much empty earbud market.

Also agree about Yuin, they really deliver a quality product in terms of sound, value, etc.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #32 of 62
All armature IEM's are overrated in terms of absolute SQ... especially the higher-priced ones. Many people equate the price to performance in their heads and think a thousand-dollar IEM has to be worth it, especially when they've spent their own money on it. It's an ego thing. I've said since a long time ago that the triple-driver custom UE's approach a $300 dynamic phone in terms of sound quality. I think I may even be being charitable in that respect.

It's the price to pay for the isolation that these can provide, something which dynamics can't match. Comparing a dynamic against armatures for pure SQ? No question, the dynamics will take it. Not only do they mostly have a better tone, but also better 'real' accuracy, not the 'speeded up walking across foil chips packets' brand of distortion which results in perceived increase in 'detail' such as on the Etys as I've also said for years; something which many hardcore Head-Fi members still cling onto IMO.

Calling an Ety more accurate than a good dynamic phone is like calling an MP3 artifact a 'melodic addition'. An increase in the number of armature drivers doesn't increase sound quality in some magical way: they simply take the load off one driver doing everything, because armature drivers are compromised in terms of frequency response. Personally at the time I felt that the slightly shouty E3c, while not sounding as 'detailed' as the Etys, actually did a better job of using the armatures 'honestly' and within their comfort zone... but both were/are ultimately more compromised products than the likes of the SE530 due to their reliance on a single driver. It's just that to improve things, you have to add additional drivers and that disproportionately drives up the cost and commensurately reduced the cost/performance factor. But this is a compromise you have to take if you want decent response out of an armature phone.

I like the SE530's a lot for my own use. They're very tractable, easy/comfortable to wear and with the black tips, not too bad for my easily irritated canals while offering superior isolation. An excellent package of compromises IMO, and still the one to beat if you're considering all the attributes that these phones offer. The point of isolation is key for me and for that reason, I'll continue investing in multi-driver armatures.

Jan 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, you say the Westone 3s are the latest FOTM, then in a later post you say that next year we'll all be talking about Westone, Shure, Ety, etc. Which Westone model will be part of that discussion? I also doubt the IE8s, even though I don't have them, are necessarily a FOTM, either. Seems some pretty knowledgeable Head-Fi'ers think they are pretty good, hardly on the same low level as the Vibe or the Mylar phones.

Shure just has more marketing power than most of their competitors, maybe the most of any of the IEM makers. So of course, they generate more sales, exposure, etc. But something better can, and does, come along now and again.

I have little doubt that the 530s are great phones for some, but just because they have been out for several years doesn't mean they are better than newer models. When is the last time Shure released a new IEM. Isn't the 530 just an update of the 500? Seems they have abandoned the upper end for now. More money to be made off the masses with their mid-level models on sale at Best Buy and other big box stores. And if Shure does release a new high-end IEM, and stops making the 530, what does that say? I doubt they will take Ety's path with the ER4P. I bet Shure is right now planning the 530 replacement, with all the activity on the high end as of late.

erm no i didint and i didnt say wed be talking about westone next year either, buti suspect the W3 will hold up against time seeing as the um2 did.

also what exactly is wrong in anything being flavour of the month??? im sure the same thing happend to the 530 when it came out and the triple.fi and the C751 etc etc doesnt make any of them bad. hell i like a shiny new toy as much as anyone like right now ive mostly been listening to my IE7. i still think the se530 is better but its my new toy and god dammit im going to listen to it till i get bored with it then then listen to something else for a week of so till i again fancy a change. flavour of the month doesnt mean bad it just means its the flavour of the month, thats it

people get we are talking about inanimate lumps of plastic and metal right? dont get so defensive because says something you dont like your particular favourite

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #35 of 62
Point taken. The thread just sort of gave a lot of credit to the staying power of a couple of IEMs/brands, but in reality, brands like Shure and UE make some crappy phones too, and sell plenty of them to unsuspecting mass market buyers. The SE530 is still around because Shure hasn't updated it in any meaningful way, or it would be a memory as well. Same with Ety and the ER4P. They figure why fix what isn't broken? But when they start seeing market share dissipate to companies like Senn, Future Sonics, dare I say Phonak, etc., they will unveil a new IEM to replace the SE530, and no one will care about it any more, except the people who still own them.

Anyway, I didn't mean to take anything personally, but if someone put down a wager on the Phonaks sticking around, I would take them up on it. They are not V-Moda or Maximo or any of those types of IEM makers. Just a feeling I get reading their literature, and checking out the company. Both Ety and Westone are hearing aid companies, so right there, Phonak is in good company.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #36 of 62
I believe Shure is the greatest audio company in the world. I took a picture of me holding my SE530s and pinned it to the ceiling above my bed so it is the last thing I see before I fall asleep (with my SE530s in).

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsarn06
The SE530 is still around because Shure hasn't updated it in any meaningful way, or it would be a memory as well. [...] They figure why fix what isn't broken?

Pretty much agree with you. And that is the point of this thread after all. Shure's current offering, the SE530, is still a competitive, top-end IEM. Lots of great new stuff coming out, but its pretty cool that Shure produced a great IEM a few years back that continues to hold its own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe Shure is the greatest audio company in the world. I took a picture of me holding my SE530s and pinned it to the ceiling above my bed so it is the last thing I see before I fall asleep (with my SE530s in).

LOL!!

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #39 of 62
I agree...with the hype of the Westone 3, the Se530 has really been put down and less appreciated. In fact, the hype is so ridiculous that some people are being quite Bias. The only review that i've seen that wasn't bias was the Westone 3 review on ilounge, where they respect the fact that the se530 still does better on a lot of stuff though they are older and are not three way like the Westone 3. There's no doubt that the Westone 3 is worth all the hype, but hype is hype, you still got to respect the ones that first stepped on to the field and are still strong and powerful.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting the ER4P next, seems to be a great IEM, only negative i have read lack of bass which is fine as i hate heavy bass.

There's other down sides to the ER4P, the microphonics are at the worst compared to other brands, the fit isn't as comfortable as for example westone and shure. The sound tube also tends to have a problem with breaking over time due to people replaciing the filters. They're still fantastic earphones, but don't miss out on the down sides and cons on the earphone before you buy them.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but in reality, brands like Shure and UE make some crappy phones too, and sell plenty of them to unsuspecting mass market buyers. The SE530 is still around because Shure hasn't updated it in any meaningful way, or it would be a memory as well. Same with Ety and the ER4P. They figure why fix what isn't broken? But when they start seeing market share dissipate to companies like Senn, Future Sonics, dare I say Phonak, etc., they will unveil a new IEM to replace the SE530, and no one will care about it any more, except the people who still own them.

SE530 is the best they make and there is really nothing to improve upon...even today. The rolled off highs will probably always remain given Shure likes that forward midrange. If anything they should dump all those lower range garbage IEM's they make. Have an entry level, mid-level and the SE530. Perhaps in a couple years they may come up with a newer, better(?) offering that will cost $450 but with SE530 currently under $300, I suspect it will be around for many more years. But not replaced.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #42 of 62
Yeah, no doubt they will lower the MSRP on the 530 and release a new $450 universal. You're right. But they do make a lot of junk too. Anyway, I'm spent on the subject. Back to listening to the MiniboxE+ and the FOTM Phonaks.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much of an improvement is the 530 from SCL4s?

Been enjoying the scl4s so much I'm considering upgrading.

I started with the SCL4's several weeks back. They where good but a little lacking in bass. After getting the SE530's ans spending some time with them I can say that the SCL4s now seem like they lack quite a bit of bass.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #44 of 62
From what I've read the 530's are the closest to my personal sound preference.

Price being equal I would buy them above all the others.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530 is the best they make and there is really nothing to improve upon...even today. The rolled off highs will probably always remain given Shure likes that forward midrange.

I do not fully agree. I think Shure knows that the SE530 hights were (maybe too much) rolled off, and indeed their most recent IEM (SE420) has more sparkling hights.
I had the 420 and the hights sounded better than those on the 530, about 4-5 decibels more than 530; it's not about quality, but is simply a volume/presence matter.

So when i use my 530 (which i overall love), i equalize hight freqencies about 3-4 decibels.

The cables could be detachable, so the final user could be sure to have a longer product life, even after warranty expires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back