Shure SE530...STILL A GREAT IEM !!
Jan 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
This is coming from a new W3 fan but is it me or is SE530 really taking a hit these days? Yes, I know there are many new IEM's out but considering they all still have their faults it seems SE530 has been thrown out to pasture.

Other than the slightly rolled off highs (which the beloved IE8 also have, perhaps worse) as a result of the forward midrange, there is very little to dislike about this great IEM. One could also argue that as a product right out of the box, simple fit, plugged right into an Ipod, it's still among the best products out there.

So I am just here to say that I think SE530 is still a great product...and the prices are quite good.
normal_smile .gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 62
It's a great IEM. I'm sure there are quaities of the new IEMs that might extend farther and do better, but for the price the E530 is very smooth and midrange is everything in music. The E530 nails that.

I'm not a fan of the dark sound, so the fact that the E530 has stayed with me this long shows how good it is.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I am just here to say that I think SE530 is still a great product...and the prices are quite good.
normal_smile .gif

You should change the thread title to "SE530 still a great IEM" then. Which is true. Among the top universals, the SE530s compete quite well.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 62
Its simply not flavour of the month anymore, people round here change their earphones more often than their pants all in search of the holy grail of IEM.
Its an addiction, i have it, used to be for sources now its earphones, oh well at least its cheaper than a new CD player every month!

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should change the thread title to "SE530 still a great IEM" then. Which is true. Among the top universals, the SE530s compete quite well.

Good point! Just did.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 62
I agree completely.

One thing folks seem to sometimes lose sight of on these forums is that concept that, once your reach a certain "level" of quality, no matter what the product, the law of diminishing returns kicks in. The comparative virtues of the "latest and greatest" IEM vs. the SE530 are being argued on this site because folks here are passionate about this stuff (sometimes to the point of obsession). But the simmple reality is that they are very, very comparable in terms of quality. They HAVE to be in order to compete with one another. It's the nature of the free market.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 62
I wonder if the W3 will suffer the same since the new Westone custom has been annouced.

It seems that the latest greatest does everything right until a new product is released... then all of a sudden the older style is flawed and left behind as not that great.

Ah, the cycles of headfi... chasing waterfalls
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the W3 will suffer the same since the new Westone custom has been annouced.

Nah...only a select few can afford it. TFPro remained very popular even with UE10 and UE11 available.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 62
Yeah, I think the SE530 will likely remain one of the IEM standards for a long time even if it isn't perfect in every way (and of course none are.) There's a group of IEMs that seem to survive on the top-tier list year after year even in spite of their quirks because they offer something unique, for instance the Ety ER-4's transparency or the SE530's smooth mids, etc. Owners of these products may 'upgrade' to the FOM but for some reason they never getting around to selling their old favorite, and maybe even coming back to it after a while. Some models just have that certain something.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 62
There aint any rolled off highs in the IE8 btw.

maybe out of the box..but after burn-in..they sound full

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree completely.

One thing folks seem to sometimes lose sight of on these forums is that concept that, once your reach a certain "level" of quality, no matter what the product, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

I think that level is KSC75.

But head-fi wouldn't exist if people didn't spend thousands of dollars for that last 10%.....

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 62
I agree Shure SE530 is still a great iem.
But it could be perfect if Shure added 2 things:

1 - a little bit more sparkling hights (i usually add with equalization)
2 - removable cables! I think this is the main reason why some customers prefer tiple fi.

On the other way, Shure mids/lows, fit, design, details and nuances are simply top level.

Only these 2 improvements and SE530 could be the best unrivaled IEM.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 62
yeah the se530 is still great but on here there is always a flavour of the moment it was the W3 then the IE8 and it seems to be moving on to the phoneak(??) thing

people like new shiney toys and the 530 has been about a while so its not new and exciting, thats all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back