Shure SE530 or Westone UM2...
Oct 13, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #16 of 49
that's why u can add in another usd100+- for authorized set from soundearphone for peace of mind
smily_headphones1.gif

SE530 is pretty notorious with crackling cable.

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #18 of 49
I have a D2 and listen to stuff ranging from diana krall, steely dan, to classical piano, to lil wayne/TI/etc. lol

Currently have the UE5pros..are the UM2's a significant upgrade?

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jterp7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a D2 and listen to stuff ranging from diana krall, steely dan, to classical piano, to lil wayne/TI/etc. lol

Currently have the UE5pros..are the UM2's a significant upgrade?

in a word.... YES!!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #20 of 49
I believe warranty is what you mostly want with a shure IEM. I had e2 se310 se530 and they all have being affected by quality issues and thankfully, saved by warranty!!
Between um2 and se530... they just sound so similar with shure a little better overall. um2 have the best cable i ever run into and the best fit with comply tips. while shure looks better.
one big plus about um2 is that they are so sensitive to EQ adjustments which means they really can sound better than se530 with proper EQ settings (i found that to be true especially on ipods)

I love them both, but i guess i'll give mine to um2.( well, at least today) (you can't go wrong with either)

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #21 of 49
I have 2 of the big 3 right now (UM2, Triple.Fi), and have tried the SE530, and the UM2 or SE530 would both not be a bad choice for hip-hop and r&b. Triple.Fis don't have the quantity for bass.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #22 of 49
Triple fi 10

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #23 of 49
I love the fact this poll is running so close. I've got the UM2s and I'm delighted that they are giving the SE530s a decent battle - dual driver isn't necessarily inferior to triple driver. I've not heard the SE530s. but I've no doubt they are also a superb pair of earphones. They seem to share a similar sound signature, and are the top two choices in terms of comfort ... I think anyone buying either of these earphones would be happy.

Far better than those shrill Triple.Fi bolts standing out of your ears like a pair of over-ripe bananas
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #24 of 49
I should throw this in too: UM2s are the most comfortable IEM I have ever used, period. The braided cable is light, comfortable, un-microphonic, and durable. The earpiece also sits in your ear very comfortably and discreetly. In comparison, the SE530's cable is very heavy and it got in my way too much to like it.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #25 of 49
hmm thats definitely solidifying my choice in getting the UM2s over the 530s..besides the cable issue (which apparently is STILL not fixed from what I'm reading around here)

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jterp7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm thats definitely solidifying my choice in getting the UM2s over the 530s..besides the cable issue (which apparently is STILL not fixed from what I'm reading around here)

i just recently got my se530 replaced, which i should add took 4 days from sending off to receiving new set, which i requested would be of the 2008 production (and they are, 165th day of 2008 going by the cable code) and the new set i received has a slightly thinner and rubberised feel to it.

at first i was a bit dissapointed as i thought the thick cable felt strong and durable, this new cable seems like it was taken straight out of the sony ex range. but after about a week of constant use i can see what the advantages of this new cable are, for a start its more flexible, almost to the point i cant straighten it. the cable does not seem to go hard around the over ear part (although more use will help confirm this) and the reason im saying all this is because if the cable does not go stiff then it will not crack like older models did.

and out of the um2 vs se530, i cant see how the um2 are better, i really cant, the bass is less controlled, the mids are not nearly as true and sweet and the highs are over emphasised to the point of sibilance which isnt nice.

the um2 are slightly thinner and sits in the ear nice but then again the se530 crams in an extra driver, as for the thicker cable, this is ofcourse to accomodate the extra OFC needed for that extra driver, look at the ue11 for example, the earlier cables were like industrial piping.

so yeh my vote goes with se530, not because its the best ever made ( although i strongly believe its the most accomplished universal IEM to date ) but more because it is simply a better set of earphones overall, the um2 is a little overpriced also and very hard to get in UK, so cant imagine the UK customer service would be great either. just my opinion guys, the um2 is great no doubt, but the se530 is better lets be honest

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the fact this poll is running so close. I've got the UM2s and I'm delighted that they are giving the SE530s a decent battle - dual driver isn't necessarily inferior to triple driver. I've not heard the SE530s. but I've no doubt they are also a superb pair of earphones. They seem to share a similar sound signature, and are the top two choices in terms of comfort ... I think anyone buying either of these earphones would be happy.

Far better than those shrill Triple.Fi bolts standing out of your ears like a pair of over-ripe bananas
tongue.gif

lol x2, the triple fi are overrated and shmugly man

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just recently got my se530 replaced, which i should add took 4 days from sending off to receiving new set, which i requested would be of the 2008 production (and they are, 165th day of 2008 going by the cable code) and the new set i received has a slightly thinner and rubberised feel to it.

at first i was a bit dissapointed as i thought the thick cable felt strong and durable, this new cable seems like it was taken straight out of the sony ex range. but after about a week of constant use i can see what the advantages of this new cable are, for a start its more flexible, almost to the point i cant straighten it. the cable does not seem to go hard around the over ear part (although more use will help confirm this) and the reason im saying all this is because if the cable does not go stiff then it will not crack like older models did.

and out of the um2 vs se530, i cant see how the um2 are better, i really cant, the bass is less controlled, the mids are not nearly as true and sweet and the highs are over emphasised to the point of sibilance which isnt nice.

the um2 are slightly thinner and sits in the ear nice but then again the se530 crams in an extra driver, as for the thicker cable, this is ofcourse to accomodate the extra OFC needed for that extra driver, look at the ue11 for example, the earlier cables were like industrial piping.

so yeh my vote goes with se530, not because its the best ever made ( although i strongly believe its the most accomplished universal IEM to date ) but more because it is simply a better set of earphones overall, the um2 is a little overpriced also and very hard to get in UK, so cant imagine the UK customer service would be great either. just my opinion guys, the um2 is great no doubt, but the se530 is better lets be honest

You sound a bitter at the end. The UM2's are said to have better bass response, period. Check out the reviews at earphonesolutions.com... they break it down to the strengths of the UM2, SE530, and Triple.fi.

There is a thread here of someone going from the SE530's to the UM2's and preferring the UM2's.

Point blank is, the UM2's perform very well up against the SE530's.

I chose the earphone based on what I was going to use them for. The UM2's seem to be more fun and relaxed. Easy to just put on and enjoy the music. The SE530 seems to have people analyzing the music, etc.

Either way, they were both the same price for me. It took me a while to decide. I wanted the SE530PTH too, but the UM2 seems to be the best for my position.

I really wish I could try them both before buying though.

EDIT
BestBuy.com has them for sale... so since I'm getting the UM2's I can purchase those for at trial run.

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's why u can add in another usd100+- for authorized set from soundearphone for peace of mind
smily_headphones1.gif

SE530 is pretty notorious with crackling cable.

270(what you said)+100=449?(which is the price on soundearphone)
I wish
frown.gif

Edit: not trying to scrutinize your math, just was dissapointed when I checked that site hoping for a 370 dollar price tag.

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #30 of 49
Is Shure really not honoring the warranties of Unauthorized resellers/retailers?

The headphones have been out for less than a year, so they have to honor it regardless right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back