Shure SE530 or Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro for iPhone?
Sep 17, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #16 of 26
I've had my Shures replaced 6 times over the space of two years. It started when they were e500 and then they were replaced with the Se530s.

I replaced them with the triple fi's.

The shures are definitely more comfortable and are more subtle visually but obviously the cable were a problem for me. Fortunately Shure's warranty was excellent but I guess it needs to be if a flagship product is having problems with some people.

I also like the triple fi's sound but I had problems with the silicon buds staying in my ear when removing them .... I seem to have troublesome ears! I did a rough cable mod so I could use them with my iPhone but I'm now thinking about replacing them with the new vi model which is a neater solution.

Can anybody who has seen them in person confirm that the drivers and tips are identical to the original model?

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the UE's build quality, customer service, and sound are superb.

This is highly debatable...

UE seem to pun & choose at random who they give good customer service to (check the thread "what's going on over at ultimate ears") & I really donttjink their build quality is anything special. I had a pair of triple.fi that fell apart in my hand from the force of removing a tip off.

The sound though is pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #18 of 26
depends what you want, if you like highs, go for triple fi, if you lik mid's and bass, go for Se530. Also, considering the iPhone doesn't have a slightly powerful amplifier, the Se530 would probably be the one to have less distortion due to the fact that the amplifier can't amplify the Triple fi's to the end of frequencies.

Overall, the Se530's high's don't fall short of the triple fi's that much, i would say the triple fi's give ASTONISHING highs, as the Se530 are EXCELLENT. However the mid's and bass on the Se530 are quite a bit superior to the Triple fis.

On fit, it's up to personal opinion, some say that the Triple fit's better, and some say that the Se530 fit better, on my opinion, i like the more comfortable Se530, and they are also flush fit to the ear unlike the triple fi's. so you can lie down a bit when you want to listen to your music.

I used to own both, so i'm not making this stuf up, but i find the triple fi's slightly larger than the Se530, and that they aren't as convenient to put on as the Se530, i could do the Se530 in like 2 seconds per ear with one hand, it takes the triple fis like 10 with one hand becauses the memory wire gets in the way and the wire doesn't stay really close to your head.

Overall, i say the Se530 is superior and i like them more, i loved how the triple Fi's highs were so clear, but after hearing the se530, i decided that lower a slight bit of detail on the high for a far superior Mid and bass is well worth it.

I Vote Shure Se530, and yes, the new Shure Se530 come's with a extension cable that's iPhone Compatible, shure also sells a music phone adaptor for the iPhone which has a mic, and a answer/end button on it which can be used to switch tracks to. Ue now makes the Triple Fi 10 Vi which is a triple fi 10 pro with a microphone, but it's a hefty $50 dollars more.

I recommend Shure, but if you like the detailed highs of the Triple Fi's, than you can get that.

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #19 of 26
I'm sort of in the same position. Have been tossing up between the Triple.fi's and the se530's ever since my e4's have been starting to play up (One ear drops out and needs to be hit to get working again). I was leaning towards the triple.fi's however I notice they only offer 1 year warranty now. Also I'm not so sure about the fit and comfort.

On the se530 side I am concerned with the cable length. Is the extension really that long and annoying? Either way I think each earphone has its own pros and cons. I listen to mainly Rock and Metal and heard good things about them both.

The earphones will be paired with my iphone 3g so hopefully it shouldn't have a problem driving them. Never really been the type to carry around an amp.
icon10.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

On the se530 side I am concerned with the cable length

you should be. extension cable is a poor substitute to embedded headset feature: you have your mic clumsy located, you have excess overall cable length and weight. how can such things being ignored if we speek of iPhone usage? just imagine utilizing that add-on: you have your 3 feet IEM cable plus 3 feet extender... how does that blend anyway?
Quote:

Ue now makes the Triple Fi 10 Vi which is a triple fi 10 pro with a microphone, but it's a hefty $50 dollars more.

it's only $20 actually

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by P0iNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sort of in the same position. Have been tossing up between the Triple.fi's and the se530's ever since my e4's have been starting to play up (One ear drops out and needs to be hit to get working again). I was leaning towards the triple.fi's however I notice they only offer 1 year warranty now. Also I'm not so sure about the fit and comfort.

On the se530 side I am concerned with the cable length. Is the extension really that long and annoying? Either way I think each earphone has its own pros and cons. I listen to mainly Rock and Metal and heard good things about them both.

The earphones will be paired with my iphone 3g so hopefully it shouldn't have a problem driving them. Never really been the type to carry around an amp.
icon10.gif

If you liked and enjoyed E4 you will be blown away by SE530, no question.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
extension cable is a poor substitute to embedded headset feature: you have your mic clumsy located, you have excess overall cable length and weight.

This isn't true.

The SE530 cable is very short. It actually ends at the Y point on the cable. You need to use an extension cable (included) to get a regular length cable. The music phone adaptor I would assume (as it looks from the photos too) would be the same length as the regular extension cable & have the mic right on the the bottom of the Y point. That would seem to give you the perfect placement for the mic..

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #24 of 26
Is there a way I can get the SE530's for a reasonable price without spending $500+ Australian dollars and buying them here. Because I just emailed soundearphones and they told me that Shure have restricted them from sending their products overseas. Does that mean if you somehow do get the earphones from the US the warranty would be voided? Big blow to us overseas consumers.
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #25 of 26
Email our sponsors. MUCH BETTER price. I just bought a pair of 530s from soundearphones.com, I don't want to post the price but it was WAY WAY better than advertised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back