Shure SE530 or Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro for iPhone?
Sep 15, 2008 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

SebHoll

New Head-Fier
You guys seem to know a lot about this stuff, so I was wondering if you could help me out.

I have a first generation iPhone (with the infamous recessed jack) and want a set of good quality earphones that have bass you can feel, are comfortable, and have good all round clarity.
happy_face1.gif
I've managed to narrow it down to these two, but I don't know which is better.

If they were the same price, which one would you go for and why?

This is what I've managed to compile through reading a tonne of reviews/posts:

> Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro
Adv: Has an iPhone compatible jack, great reviews and is slightly cheaper.
Dis: Doesn't look as nice as the Shure SE530s.
tongue_smile.gif
Perhaps not as comfortable.

> Shure SE530
Adv: Great clarity.
Dis: Bass is supposedly not as heavy as with the Ultimate Ears phones. Have to use an iPhone adapter.

Finally, can anyone who has a pair of both comment on the build quality?

I've got to decide within the next few days so any comments are greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 26
Thanks for the quick reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new packaging of the SE530s also have an original iPhone compatible cable.

Didn't know that - that makes things more interesting then, as having to use an iPhone adapter was a major disadvantage to me.

That pretty much brings it down to sound and build quality then... I'm an avid dance fan and love deep and heavy bass (if that makes any difference).

Just thought I should also point out, that I originally got a pair of Klipsch's Custom 3 and the sound was vary clear, but the bass was somewhat lacking and the jack connector loosened after only a few days ware, rendering the sound quality awful. As such, I had to send them back.

So ideally, I'd like something more durable for "round 2".
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 26
TF10P's have more "clarity" than SE530, I'd say. Both are plenty accurate, I just think that the sweetly extended high end of the triple.fi's can give them a sparkle of realism that the SE530's lack.

I would definitely recommend the UE's if sound quality was your primary concern. However, the Shures are a very fine-sounding iem that have much better COMFORT, ergonomics, and seal than the UE's do in my opinion. I liked the triple.fi's sound so much that I decided to leap into the expensive end of UE's customs. (Sold the triples.)

I still own my SE530's though... and definitely still enjoy them.

Here's my personal review for some additional thoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Shure E500 vs UE Triple.fi 10 Pro - Threadbox.net

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 26
On build quality, I was about to say they are both plenty solid -- and they are for the most part -- but I do have some comments.

The Shures have an infamous cable cracking issue where after appx 6 months for certain batches* for certain people (with certain skin oils), the thin cable that loops over the ear and into the monitor begins to crack. And it sucks trying to tape it over or fix it yourself... Shure has always been good about swapping them out for a new pair, though.

On a much more minor note, past pairs were dropped on some pavement on one or more occasions, and the metallic paint can chip a bit if abused.

On an even more minor note, the nozzle on the Shures is pretty thin. Some folks have snapped it off, even. Don't apply sideways pressure and you're fine! Twist the tips off!

... The Triple.fi's are built like the other universal fit monitors from UE -- solid as tanks. They're a bit large for iems, but they're unlikely to fail.

* They allegedly fixed this later... I think my third pair I have now may have a "fixed" wire.

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 26
i had to make the same choice for iPhone month ago & i went for Triple.fi, because UE have that Triple.fi vi model with mic & multifunc button. i guess that headset feature puts UE on top without discussion.
as for the Triple.fi IEMs themselves:
they don't stick out of the ears as i would expect by pictures, they do have some sealing issues (i'd prefer in-ear part less chunky), they look great, sound's just perfect

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 26
Shure actually sell a cable with a mic on it too. Obviously its at an additional cost to the IEMs themselves but if the Vi of the UEs was gonna swing it....

I used to own both & I voted Shure BTW.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 26
TF 10, it really doesn't matter.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 26
How about neither?

Look at the Sleek SA6.

Admittedly I have not used either the TF10 of the SE530, but there has been a good bit of discussion about the SA6 being very comparable.

Worth consideration, at least.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 26
I love my Trips. and they sound absolutely superb with the iPhone. They are crystal clear and accurate, I haven't heard the SE530 so I'm no help in that department. I think the UE's build quality, customer service, and sound are superb. I didn't like them at first but after a little break in, they are the nicest headphones I have heard for their size.

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 26
I have had both and the shure are 10X more comfortable and the mids and bass are a lot better so unless you like uncomfortable huge chambered earphones or earphones that are focused around the highs I would go shure which is the way I went

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 26
Thanks everyone for your posts, albeit, I'm still not 100% sure as there appears to be equally strong arguments from either side.

From what everyone's said:

> Both have iPhone compatible connectors.

> Shure SE530's
- More comfortable.
- Better bass.

> Ultimate Ears
- Better build quality.
- More clarity and better hi frequencies.

Based on this and the fact that Shure is ever so slightly ahead in the polls, I think I'm swaying towards the Shure's because of the better base and the comfortability. Although what thread said about the build quality is a bit worrying, though... Do the Shure's come with a good carrying case?

Thanks once again to everyone,

P.S. vulc4n: I had a quick look but I think the Shure or Ultimate Ears options better suit me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 26
Se530...or better yet se310!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back