Shure SE530 Appreciation Thread
Jul 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #121 of 130
Funny how this thread was completely silent for a whole month, and in just a few days the number of pages has suddenly more than doubled - 3.5 pages in 2 months, and in just 5 days we have an extra 4+ pages - remarkable! Almost as if VoLTaG3 was back. But, of course we ALL know he cannot possibly be back using a fake identity with the help a fake IP address, AND trying hard to hide his old persona, right?

Guess my shameless 'fanboyism' for Westone products must be having a very bad effect on me.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #122 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny how this thread was completely silent for a whole month, and in just a few days the number of pages has suddenly more than doubled - 3.5 pages in 2 months, and in just 5 days we have an extra 4+ pages - remarkable! Almost as if VoLTaG3 was back. But, of course we ALL know he cannot possibly be back using a fake identity with the help a fake IP address, AND trying hard to hide his old persona, right?

Guess my shameless 'fanboyism' for Westone products must be having a very bad effect on me.

Here we go again.....I'm sorry to say this but usually in a thread appreciating a certain earphone you will see a lot of talk about this earphone mostly people's likes about it. If you hate the Shure SE530's and members who like these earphones I suggest you to not visit the appreciation thread of said earphone.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #123 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ AudioPhile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here we go again.....I'm sorry to say this but usually in a thread appreciating a certain earphone you will see a lot of talk about this earphone mostly people's likes about it. If you hate the Shure SE530's and members who like these earphones I suggest you to not visit the appreciation thread of said earphone.

For someone who's only been a member for 3 days (and 53 posts so far) you almost sound as if you'd been around much longer round here and with some real authority to ask me to leave. But, of course, we all know you haven't been here long. You seem to have read quite a lot of the Appreciation threads in such a short period of time.

However, could you please explain to me why the mods who deleted a few posts yesterday chose NOT to delete my mini-review? or a post before that where I replied to Megane?

What I dislike more than the SE530's are posters who have been banned and then come back 5/6 times with fake accounts and with the same agenda. But, of course, that is certainly not your case - we can all see that.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #124 of 130
Quote:

For someone who's only been a member for 3 days (and 53 posts so far) you almost sound as if you'd been around much longer round here, but we all know you haven't, of course. You seem to have read quite a lot of the Appreciation threads in such a short period of time.

However, could you please explain to me why the mods who deleted a few posts yesterday chose NOT to delete my mini-review? or a post before that where I replied to Megane?

What I dislike more than the SE530's are posters who have been banned and then come back 5/6 times with fake accounts and with the same agenda. But, of course, that is certainly not your case - we can all see that.

This wonderful forum full of helpful posts in which I searched through also coupled with other reviews from various online sources yielded me to purchase the Shure SE530's. I love the sound of these earphones and reading more through this forum is making me want to purchase newer products. Like always before I buy a product I ask a lot of questions about it and read a lot of reviews on it. This forum is expanding my love for music and teaching me new things. I joined a forum that is about the thing I love. Usually when I come across others who are interested in the same thing I am I tend to communicate with them far more than someone who doesn't know. The reason my post count is so high. Also do you usually stalk members who join with a positive insight on the Shure SE530's. I feel I should just ignore you since you must not like seeing the Shure SE530's being praised and your Westone enriched blood just boils. You need to realize what you may not of liked others will. Please stop accusing me of this "voltage" member I feel harassed by you. Jesus.....Now can everyone please return on topic...I've said my part..

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #125 of 130
Quote:

For someone who's only been a member for 3 days (and 53 posts so far) you almost sound as if you'd been around much longer round here and with some real authority to ask me to leave. But, of course, we all know you haven't been here long. You seem to have read quite a lot of the Appreciation threads in such a short period of time.

i am not part of this thread really, but i have enjoyed the se530. they are not my phone however and i sold them. i was into phones that were built a bit better as i bicycle with them. thus, the um2 was my flavour till i could not stand its hiss.

however, i am drawn to this discussion for no other reason than the bolded part of this text. music, if you really don't like the se530 - i should say hate it - you don't have to stay here and be perturbed by the other poster's comments. if you really hate them, this entire thread should really be going further and further up your backside, mate.

it is great that new posters (or old - i have no idea at all, but would be intrigued if voltage was back) are showing interest in one of the great iems of the last few years; indeed, an iem that was a totally new benchmark and was partly the reason behind Jude's decision to declare 2007 the year of the iem at headfi.

but, in an appreciation thread, it is silly to stick around casting mud into pond.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #126 of 130
Quote:

This wonderful forum full of helpful posts in which I searched through also coupled with other reviews from various online sources yielded me to purchase the Shure SE530's. I love the sound of these earphones and reading more through this forum is making me want to purchase newer products. Like always before I buy a product I ask a lot of questions about it and read a lot of reviews on it. This forum is expanding my love for music and teaching me new things. I joined a forum that is about the thing I love. Usually when I come across others who are interested in the same thing I am I tend to communicate with them far more than someone who doesn't know. The reason my post count is so high. Also do you usually stalk members who join with a positive insight on the Shure SE530's. I feel I should just ignore you since you must not like seeing the Shure SE530's being praised and your Westone enriched blood just boils. You need to realize what you may not of liked others will. Please stop accusing me of this "voltage" member I feel harassed by you. Jesus.....Now can everyone please return on topic...I've said my part..

Apologies if I've offended you, but something just isn't quite right. Why did you join head-fi so late??

You've had the SE530's for about a year and had read reviews here before your purchase, and seen already what a wonderful community we are: "when I come across others who are interested in the same thing I am I tend to communicate with them far more than someone who doesn't know. The reason my post count is so high"

I would've thought, judging by your great and honest enthusiasm, that you would've joined head-fi even before I did (Dec 2008).

And just to clarify one thing, as you're obviously a new member here and, of course, don't know this for a fact (or perhaps you do since you've apparently been a lurker for a year or so) - apart from the differences iponderous and I have, I don't think I've been going after members/ stalking them who happen to like or love their SE530's - I'd probably be banned by now.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #127 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am not part of this thread really, but i have enjoyed the se530. they are not my phone however and i sold them. i was into phones that were built a bit better as i bicycle with them. thus, the um2 was my flavour till i could not stand its hiss.

however, i am drawn to this discussion for no other reason than the bolded part of this text. music, if you really don't like the se530 - i should say hate it - you don't have to stay here and be perturbed by the other poster's comments. if you really hate them, this entire thread should really be going further and further up your backside, mate.

it is great that new posters (or old - i have no idea at all, but would be intrigued if voltage was back) are showing interest in one of the great iems of the last few years; indeed, an iem that was a totally new benchmark and was partly the reason behind Jude's decision to declare 2007 the year of the iem at headfi.

but, in an appreciation thread, it is silly to stick around casting mud into pond.

Shigzeo, I was trying to be a bit sarcastic with my comment about disliking this more than that.

Plenty of people love the SE530's, others don't - fine, I've absolutely no problem with that. I don't go round telling everyone who's keen on their SE530's that they're wrong and there's better than that.

I din't like the SE530's and at times I say so and why and try to speak of MY experience and preferences, but my last few comments are aimed elsewhere and NOT the SE530's. I'm just hoping others can see what is so blatantly clear, and I insist it's really not to do with the SE530's.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #128 of 130
Quote:

Apologies if I've offended you, but something just isn't quite right. Why did you join head-fi so late??

You've had the SE530's for about a year and had read reviews here before your purchase, and seen already what a wonderful community we are: "when I come across others who are interested in the same thing I am I tend to communicate with them far more than someone who doesn't know. The reason my post count is so high"

I would've thought, judging by your great and honest enthusiasm, that you would've joined head-fi even before I did (Dec 2008).

And just to clarify one thing, as you're obviously a new member here and, of course, don't know this for a fact (or perhaps you do since you've apparently been a lurker for a year or so) - apart from the differences iponderous and I have, I don't think I've been going after members/ stalking them who happen to like or love their SE530's - I'd probably be banned by now.

I've owned my Shure SE530's for 4 months now. I have been browsing through head-fi a month prior to purchasing the Shure SE530's. In Dec 2008 I only had knowledge of high end headphones until I came across head-fi and other places.

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #129 of 130
Quote:

I've owned my Shure SE530's for 4 months now. I have been browsing through head-fi a month prior to purchasing the Shure SE530's. In Dec 2008 I only had knowledge of high end headphones until I came across head-fi and other places.

Well not according to what you yourself posted here 2 days ago: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...2/#post5833819 -- of which here's a paragraph you added only 24 hrs ago after I challenged yet another thing you'd said in yet another thread.

Quote:

The rubber strain relief in the right earpiece is beginning to tear away from the unit. I am beginning to learn that this is also another problem with these earphones. I have not experienced any cable failure at since me owning this earphone for a year. I also heard Shure fixed the cables for all 2008 models and up. My Shure SE530's are a 2008 model so that may be the reason for no cable cracking or tearing.

I'm VERY confused again.

Here's the full post, just in case you decide to edit it: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...2/#post5833819

Quote:

Okay, Where do I start? These little pieces of audio joy are just amazing.

My previous earphones were the Sennheiser CX300 and Skullcandy Ink'd. I know, very crappy earphones. I was doing a lot of research on Hi-Fidelity audio products. At that time I never knew they incorporated Hi-Fidelity audio into earphones. I always thought it was in full size headphones and speakers costing $500+. I then stumbled across these babies. Soo many reviews I read were praising these earphones wonderful sound quality and that justifying the high price of $500. I then bit the bullet and ordered them from Amazon for $290. Upon ordering these earphones I was expecting to be completely blown away by the sound quality once I receive them.

The anticipation when waiting for these earphones was so ridiculous I kept checking the UPS shipping progress on their website. Oh was the wait annoying. This is the reason I generally hate online shopping. The day finally came!! UPS knocks on my door I jump up in glee and answered the door and signed for my package and....You guys already know. I then proceeded to un-package these earphones like I was opening a first AID kit to help someone in their injury. My first thought was the nice casing these earphones came in. It really made me feel like I really spent my money wisely. I then held them in my hands...They were such a beauty. The light was just glistening off of then like a diamond. I never knew they were so shiny. Shure really hit home on the aesthetics of these earphones. They actually looked expensive. I then looked at the amount of tips that was included with the package. I was astonished soo many tips came with this earphone. Shure really wanted to make sure you got a good seal. Usually with every earphone I bought I always used the sleeve that was pre-installed on them because they were medium and happened to fit me good. I did the same with my Shure SE530's. I then compressed the foam as stated everywhere and pulled my ear out and put them in and waited 30 seconds for the foam to expand in my ear creating a seal....I then found my favorite song play on my Zune 120gb....

The first thing that popped into my head was "It sounds clearer...but not $500 clearer" Immediately I thought I was ripped off. 1 week later I then realized something. My songs were all encoded in 192kbps and lower. I then learned more about lossless audio quality. I then re-ripped all of my songs into lossless quality and decided to also change the foam tips from medium to large because the medium wasn't big enough for some reason. As the large foam expanded in my ears the isolation sky rocketed and it felt like I was under water. I then began to listen to my song re-ripped to lossless..........I literally began to drool onto my lap. The sound was so effortless yet detailed. It couldn't have been coming from earphones, it just couldn't just have. The bass was so tight and deep yet fast enough to keep up with songs like Drum and Bass or Techno. The midrange was so clear. Let me restate that...The midrange was so precise. I have never heard vocals so correctly done. Voices sound as if the artist were shrunk and crawled into your head and started singing. I can hear every exhale and inhale. It added a whole new element to the music. The treble was so natural yet crisp and detailed with very far extension. Even when the volume has been cranked up these earphones maintain the sound with absolutely no distortion. Every other earphone or speaker I've heard begins to distort when the sound is increased. There is 3 drivers (1 tweeter and 2 subwoofers) in each earpiece which is the primary reason for such clarity across each frequency and no distortion as the volume increases. I kept reading reviews upon where people said these earphones have a rolled off treble. This means the volume of the treble as it goes up in the frequencies decreases. I personally do think the treble is a bit recessed in the extreme upper treble area. This was done to reduce listening fatigue because I personally never heard earphone with so much detail and clarity yet still while sounding natural. Most earphones boost the treble to sound as if it is detailed when truly it is not and this comes across as a ear sore within 10 minutes of listening. The treble on these earphones sound as if you would hear it in real life.

These earphones really need a worthy source to make you think the are a bargain at $500. Here's why. My friend is an audiophile and is into home audio not portable audio as he thinks that is not true fidelity. I later changed his mind with my Zune 120gb and Shure SE530 combo. He recommend I go visit the audio store nearby us I never knew of. He said they have a ton of high end audio equipment you can demo before you buy. So I went there with my Shure SE530's and Zune 120gb. I walked in a was completely astonished at the price of some of the equipment in here. We're talking about AMPS and DAC's costing $1,000+. I came across the DAC and AMP setup costing about $3,000 that had an 1/4" earphone input jack. I could demo it!!! Oh crap!!! My Shure SE530's has a 1/8" jack and I forgot my 1/8" to 1/4" converter. I was in luck though the salesman went into the back of the store and brought back a 1/8" to 1/4" converter. I then plugged my Shure SE530's in and turned the volume all the way down to prevent my eardrums being blasted down my throat when I hit play. I hit play and slightly raised the volume to get some sound.....OMG.....I kid you not....I nearly fainted right there and then in the middle of the store. The sound was absolutely and positively the best thing my eardrums has had the pleasure of vibrating to. Sure it was music I never heard before but the instruments sounded so realistic and alive it seemed as if there was band in the store playing in front of me. The sound stage well expanded outside of my head. The sound was literally flowing around my head as if there was speakers circulating my head. I was amazed!! Right there I was disappointed in how the crappy the Zune sounded in comparison to this $3,000 source. What do you expect? I'm comparing a $250 product to a $3,000 products. On the Zune the earphones lost their spacial sound. Also everything sounds less vivacious and exciting. it's still listenable though.

Here is a run down on how I think these earphones handle every frequency.

Bass:
The bass is tight, deep, punchy, super fast and natural. I hear no bass roll off whats so ever. I have run bass test on these earphones and 20hz sounds just as powerful as a 80hz tone. The bass is not the big boomy bass often heard from cheap car subwoofers or clubs. This bass is tamed and blends in perfectly with the music.

Midrange:
In my opinion and many others the main reason to buy these earphones. The vocals spring to life as if the artist are actually in your head. Guitars sound so life like. Every other earphone or headphone I have tried seems muddy in the midrange compared to these.

Treble:
Not in your face but has a more natural approach to give you a life like treble experience. The detail is all there as well as the extension. To my ears I find the treble crisp when needed to be. The treble kindly compliments the midrange and makes for a more smooth and luscious sound most earphones simply can't reproduce without sounding harsh and unnatural somewhere.

Soundstage:
Amazingly wide and open when I plugged it into that super high end source. Instruments and vocals were surrounding me like a wall of music. On any other portable device I've tried it on the soundstage significantly closes in more towards the head but is still more expansive than any other earphone I've heard.

The rubber strain relief in the right earpiece is beginning to tear away from the unit. I am beginning to learn that this is also another problem with these earphones. I have not experienced any cable failure at since me owning this earphone for a year. I also heard Shure fixed the cables for all 2008 models and up. My Shure SE530's are a 2008 model so that may be the reason for no cable cracking or tearing.

I wouldn't call these earphones nuetral as in every frequency has the same volume intensity. The bass and midrange are flat but the treble does in fact roll off buuut this gives you a natural sound since you will never hear treble so pronounced an in your face in real life. If you want an earphone with a completely flat response I recommend you look elsewhere.

Pros:
* Stunning sound quality did I mention stunning?
* Nice stylish look.
* Feels durable.
* Comes with a lot of accessories.
* Backed by Shure's 2 year warranty.
* Complete steal at $300.
* Most natural sound I've heard.
* NO listening fatigue
* Great noise isolation

Cons:
* Portable devices won't really show you the true capabilities of these earphones. Shure promotes the use of the earphones with portable devices.
* Treble has a slight roll off
* Not completely nuetral and true to the source.
* This earphone tends to fall apart after awhile. ( Rubber strain relief will or may tear away from the earphone )

Thanks for reading and hoped you enjoyed my experience as well as the review of these wonderful earphones!

Out of 60 posts 27 posts came in the last 12 hours AND you've started 4 threads in 4 days.

Even if your 4-month claim was true, meaning you discovered head-fi 5 months ago, it would seem VERY odd indeed --admitting your passion for all matters hi-fi and love for communicating with kindred spirits-- and wanting to find the best top-tier universal IEM that you didn't join head-fi much earlier to ask lots of questions like you are doing now, specially having the arrival of new top-tier IEM's: W3, IE8, and CKT100 [and the then new custom ES3X (you're now all excited about 'getting' the JH13)]. Unless you had your SE530's before all those were released maybe?

And the HD800 which you seem to be so keen to learn more about and have already said you'll very likely soon purchase. Seeing how (now) you're going about asking about the JH13, HD800, HiFiMAN HM-801 and (of course) to a lesser extent the ES3X, I'd have thought you'd also be desperate to ask and talk about these earlier.

Seems as if you'd been away/ imprisoned (banned?) for some time.

Oh, there's more but I won't say anything more - every time I've caught your antics you've come back and tried to refine/ improve your disguise, making it more difficult for others to see, but in the end with a little detective work it's (still) all blatantly clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back