Shure SE530 Appreciation Thread
Mar 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #31 of 130
Lol...It's funny. I went back to my Sennheiser CX300's to test a couple of well known songs...I have never heard a sound so muffled. The BASS is so overpowering I sit there trying to remember what the vocalist just said. The MIDS are muffled, the HIGHS are shrill and unnatural...For $20 the CX300's are still overpriced...

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #32 of 130
mine's in transit.
i hope it lives up to its hype and more

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #33 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody know what date (month and year) Shure updated the cables? I want to know whether I have the good cable or the disintegrating one. Mine's dated 2008/08/04

Fall of 2007 I believe.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #34 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fall of 2007 I believe.

Nice, thanks.

To the 530 owners: when you first put them on, without turning on any music, how complete is the isolation? Can you guys still hear, say, a car passing by you on the road?

I can... and that makes me worried that I'm not getting a perfect seal. They stick out at a strange angle, which makes me think they're not inserted deeply enough.

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #35 of 130
I can hear albeit muffled. I can carry a conversation without any music playing. You'll find the right fit with a little practice. It's a fun journey.

What tips are you using?

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #36 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hear albeit muffled. I can carry a conversation without any music playing. You'll find the right fit with a little practice. It's a fun journey.

What tips are you using?

Hey dude what improvements do you hear from the SE530's with the Mustang?

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #37 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What tips are you using?

Small silicones. They're a bit hard, but I loathe foam and can't get it to stay in my ears. I wish the silicone were softer, something more like the q-Jays or Klipsch tips. They're not uncomfortable, but it's difficult to press them any deeper into my ear for a better seal.

Are there any other companies' tips that are soft, silicone, fit the 530's and available in small or extra small?

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #38 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey dude what improvements do you hear from the SE530's with the Mustang?

Tighter, punchier bass. Wider soundstage. It's true that 530's do not NEED an amp but the Mustang offers up a really great synergy. I always use it.

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #39 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Small silicones. They're a bit hard, but I loathe foam and can't get it to stay in my ears. I wish the silicone were softer, something more like the q-Jays or Klipsch tips. They're not uncomfortable, but it's difficult to press them any deeper into my ear for a better seal.

Are there any other companies' tips that are soft, silicone, fit the 530's and available in small or extra small?

I took the tripple flange tips and cut the trunk down and snipped of the smallest flange. I think Voltag has a good thread about this. Also the foamie olives are nice. The trick is to roll them between you fingers just before you insert them then they will expand inyour ear for a nice snug feel.

May 6, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #40 of 130
I just purchased my pair about 3 weeks ago. My prior earphones were Bose IE, Shure E2C, Ultimate Ears Super Fi.5 Pro. I think these are the best earphones I have tried period especially because of the fit and comfort. The Super Fi.5's had the most terrible fit and wouldn't stay deep in my ear canal ( I do have oily ears
frown.gif
) and it would make them sound dull. After fooling around with the fit on the Se530's I found that the foam's were best for my ears and the sound is clear, accurate, and not enhanced. Sometimes the Super Fi's were a little too bright (when it would stay deep in my ear canal for about 10 mins). The se530's are very comfortable and are very discreet. Even though the se530's are the best i've heard so far, I would give credit to the Super Fi.5's for the cost, the sound isn't too far off from the se530's I think. I also have a problem with the se530's and most earphones sounding balanced with my ear canals, this can be stressful. I think so far the foams give me the best balance because they conform to my ear canal and don't slip because oil. I am happy with the se530's and happy I got them for less than half the retail price. If I paid $449, I think my opinion would be different, but maybe i'm just being cheap, plus I think all earphones are overpriced lol, SCL2 should be $60, Super Fi.5 should be $150, and the SE530's should be $300 IMHO. Now I just hope I don't end up spending $1150 on those UE-11's in the future, IEM's are like a drug!

May 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #41 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDENZEAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased my pair about 3 weeks ago. My prior earphones were Bose IE, Shure E2C, Ultimate Ears Super Fi.5 Pro. I think these are the best earphones I have tried period especially because of the fit and comfort. The Super Fi.5's had the most terrible fit and wouldn't stay deep in my ear canal ( I do have oily ears
frown.gif
) and it would make them sound dull. After fooling around with the fit on the Se530's I found that the foam's were best for my ears and the sound is clear, accurate, and not enhanced. Sometimes the Super Fi's were a little too bright (when it would stay deep in my ear canal for about 10 mins). The se530's are very comfortable and are very discreet. Even though the se530's are the best i've heard so far, I would give credit to the Super Fi.5's for the cost, the sound isn't too far off from the se530's I think. I also have a problem with the se530's and most earphones sounding balanced with my ear canals, this can be stressful. I think so far the foams give me the best balance because they conform to my ear canal and don't slip because oil. I am happy with the se530's and happy I got them for less than half the retail price. If I paid $449, I think my opinion would be different, but maybe i'm just being cheap, plus I think all earphones are overpriced lol, SCL2 should be $60, Super Fi.5 should be $150, and the SE530's should be $300 IMHO. Now I just hope I don't end up spending $1150 on those UE-11's in the future, IEM's are like a drug!

Glad your happy with the Shure SE530's. LOL. You will end up getting custom IEM's in the future it's inevitable. Also have you tried my mod yet? it improves the treble.

May 6, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #42 of 130
My 530's were neglected a little over the last few weeks or so, as I got into the full size phase where I've been spending most of my time with the K701 and AD700... I finally went back to my 530's again today and oh boy, it's hard to get used to the change (530's and those two phones I mentioned earlier are like polar opposites), but I really love it for the warmth and the upfrontness of the mids, which neither of the full sizes have. It'll always have a big part in my collection, that's for sure.

May 6, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #43 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad your happy with the Shure SE530's. LOL. You will end up getting custom IEM's in the future it's inevitable. Also have you tried my mod yet? it improves the treble.

I have actually read your mod thread various times and I am tempted to try your mod, sounds very interesting. I have 2 pairs of triple flange sleeves anyway. So basically, I would cut the tri flange into a bi flange? and then cut the stem 1/8? The triple flange are way too big and hurt my ears, so I might try and cut it into a bi flange like your mod suggested and keep the stem the same. If I dont like it, then I might cut the stem also. You know treble in my middle name so I am excited about this. I turn my ipod always to treble booster, it sounds the clearest to me. I have to use treble booster always with my ipod, I wonder why it doesn't sound so good with the treble booster off, it sounds muddy on my touch 2nd gen., (and every other ipod). If I never turned my treb booster EQ on, I would think all earphones sucked, it's so bad with it off. Is this only with ipod's?

May 6, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #44 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDENZEAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know treble in my middle name so I am excited about this. I turn my ipod always to treble booster, it sounds the clearest to me. I have to use treble booster always with my ipod, I wonder why it doesn't sound so good with the treble booster off, it sounds muddy on my touch 2nd gen., (and every other ipod). If I never turned my treb booster EQ on, I would think all earphones sucked, it's so bad with it off. Is this only with ipod's?

You have shown the symptoms of a treble head to me with that paragraph, for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif
The mod will help a bit, but I can't help but to think that it won't satisfy your needs in the long run. You sound like more of an Ety or Phonak person to me. If you try the ER4S and I'm certain you'll be turning that treble boost right off.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #45 of 130
With the treble booster you certainly got an enhancement on highs but losing quite a bit of mids in the sametime. I think you could give them a period with EQ off and you'll get used to them imo or if they still get in the way of listening then maybe SE530's ain't your cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back