Shure SE425 questions
Mar 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aq12345

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

i've got a couple of questions that i would like to ask about the new shure se425 IEMs, so here goes

1) Will the 425 sound better with the complyfoam tx-100s, as compared to the stock olives? Most of the reviews around the internet are positive and claim that they significantly improve the sounds, while a minority says that the improvement is not significant. I'm currently considering whether i should purchase one set for myself 

2) I'm currently alternating between my old iPod video (5.5g 80gb) and a 2009 iPod classic (160gb), both unamped. Initially, the iPod classic was a replacement to the iPod video as the battery life has gone down by a notch, but after messing around with it recently, i've noticed that the stock amps in the iPod video 5.5g sound better. I'm looking to get an amp+LOD so here are some questions, so can any of you guys give a recommendation? Something not more than $200USD-$250USD??

3) Lastly, i've read that it's possible to add additional drivers into the 425s? If so, how is this technically done and how much will the cost be?

Cheers!

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 8
1) I think I am the only one but I find Comply tips ruin the sound. On my Denon 751, Denon 710, Shure 420, Ultimate Ears 5vi and triple.fi 10 with every pair of these IEMs I own the treble seems to be muffled slightly and detail reduced and the bass becomes to resonant.

2) The iPod classis 5.5 is the last of the best iPods and you can perform a Red Wine mod to it
http://redwineaudio.com/products/imod

3) I do not know

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 8
You're not the only one Marty.

Personally, I don't like the Complys on any of my IEMs.

They take the sparkle out of the sound and leave a hollow aftertaste than seense to have killed extension at both ends =S

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 8
The Comply foams are neither dense nor as durable as the Shure Black Olives IMO

Most of the time (if not all the time), they accentuate the extensions on the treble regions and do terrible things to the bass as well. Personally, I like the Shure Olives and the Earsonics biflange on the SE425 when I auditioned it.

Your mileage might vary though.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Quote:
ohh. Thanks guys for the input! Can someone answer my other queries (2&3) too? Thanks!

I'm not certain, but my guess is the only time you can add extra drivers is if you were to reshell them

Number 3 is answered right here.

In response to Question 1, from my experience of the comply tips, I only prefer them when I want to tame IEMs with a hot treble. IEMs like the 425 (which already suffers a treble roll off) doesn't sound all too great with the comply tips, in my opinion.

In regards to Question 2, with my combo right now (listed below), it brings out all the greatness that the 425 has to offer. However, that is probably double the budget you are. For amps in your budget, you might want to consider the T3, with a nice and decent LOD. However, from my personal experience, I don't think the improvement with the T3 is worth the jump for the SE425, it is probably better off if you save and buy a better portable amp.

Additionally, it should be kept in mind that the amp will not change the 425's sound signature. It'll still remain as an IEM with buttery smooth mids and rolled off trebles. With the Stepdance, the 425 will have a fuller sound signature as the entire bass range (especially the mid-bass) will become more prominent without becoming necessarily boomy. Unfortunately, the LOD you choose will also have an effect on its sound signature slightly. This is from what my ears could tell, others could tell you differently, but you really gotta try it out yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back