Shure SE215, worth it?
May 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #35 of 51
I am for the 215's, yes they tend to be a little bassy but i find their overall performance and listening experience more engaging. Subjectively, I LOVE they way they emphasize the lows, which works for the music I listen to - metal, alternative rock, a lot of moog-synth containing stuff, prog rock etc...

My current poertable rig is as follows after a few trial and errors: iPod nano > Fiio Andes > SE215's. If you ever consider elevating your experience a little and compensating for the lack of highs' sparkle in the SE215's you can do so through the boosts offered by the Fiio Andes, an awesome and affrodable tiny machine!

May 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #36 of 51
I own the shure 215 spe, for me this earphone just lovely
Yea it's a little bit bassy but this one made this earphone more fun sounding and non fatiguing

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:
Any drawbacks on those detachable cables?

Subjective, when i had my se535-ltd-j i came to be not be very fond of the mmx connectors. there isnt really any drawbacks. personally i prefer the pin style connectors. however the mmx connectors can get dirty and this could bring on short outs in sound. however you can clean the connector and reconnect it and   you should be good to go.

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:
 Subjective, when i had my se535-ltd-j i came to be not be very fond of the mmx connectors. there isnt really any drawbacks. personally i prefer the pin style connectors. however the mmx connectors can get dirty and this could bring on short outs in sound. however you can clean the connector and reconnect it and   you should be good to go.

Those connectors drove me nuts. They also squeaked if I didn't clean them well.

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #43 of 51
Very durable earphones. I've had mine for about 2 or so years. Highly recommended. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #44 of 51
I thought I would share this PM and my reply for the thread:

was hoping you could help me make a decision about the Shure 215? I already have an main headphone the akg k240 mkii. However I find it too analytical and bass light. So is the Shure 215 more fun to listen too and does it have more bass? I want these headphones for listening to modern pop music and dubstep. Would it be good for those two genres? Finally how is the noise isolation and comfort?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!!
a few seconds ago
Soilworker

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply, just got back from a holiday...to answer your questions:

1. SE 215 has a dark, powerful signature heavy on the lows and mids. You will find it PERFECT for d&b and dub step! It maintains good separation of the low-mid frequencies despite the price- great fun to listen to!

2. I had my SE215's on for the whole duration of Australia to Europe flights twice over the last two weeks and comfort-wise they were excellent, as they were for sound isolation. Both of these dependent heavily on you choosing the right size of tip supplied with the SE's 215.

Suffice to say that after having them on for 30-35hours straight (excl. security checks) my ears did not hurt, a first one for me. I also had them on as earplugs with no music on when sleeping on the plane and they did a splendid job.

You may have seen that I use the FiiO Andes headphone amp to make the most out of the SE's as well as tweak the top range through it's equalizer to balance out the 215's signature. It's optional for you but I recommend this to anyone that wants an amazing listening experience on a budget!

You may be interested in learning that I found NERO's last album through those EXCEPTIONAL via this particular set up although normally I listen to Metal (all genres) and Rock (all genres)

Bottom line: buy them!

Tip: use FLAC format only, you will notice the difference from mp3 via 215's

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #45 of 51
I thought I would share this PM and my reply for the thread:

was hoping you could help me make a decision about the Shure 215? I already have an main headphone the akg k240 mkii. However I find it too analytical and bass light. So is the Shure 215 more fun to listen too and does it have more bass? I want these headphones for listening to modern pop music and dubstep. Would it be good for those two genres? Finally how is the noise isolation and comfort?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!!
a few seconds ago
Soilworker

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply, just got back from a holiday...to answer your questions:

1. SE 215 has a dark, powerful signature heavy on the lows and mids. You will find it PERFECT for d&b and dub step! It maintains good separation of the low-mid frequencies despite the price- great fun to listen to!

2. I had my SE215's on for the whole duration of Australia to Europe flights twice over the last two weeks and comfort-wise they were excellent, as they were for sound isolation. Both of these dependent heavily on you choosing the right size of tip supplied with the SE's 215.

Suffice to say that after having them on for 30-35hours straight (excl. security checks) my ears did not hurt, a first one for me. I also had them on as earplugs with no music on when sleeping on the plane and they did a splendid job.

You may have seen that I use the FiiO Andes headphone amp to make the most out of the SE's as well as tweak the top range through it's equalizer to balance out the 215's signature. It's optional for you but I recommend this to anyone that wants an amazing listening experience on a budget!

You may be interested in learning that I found NERO's last album through those EXCEPTIONAL via this particular set up although normally I listen to Metal (all genres) and Rock (all genres)

Bottom line: buy them!

Tip: use FLAC format only, you will notice the difference from mp3 via 215's

Imho, I don't find the SE215 dark although the highs do roll-off a little early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back