Shure se215 vs Sony XBA-3 vs Philips SHE9850
May 29, 2013 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

kartoonz

New Head-Fier
Hi friends, as the title suggests, i am quite confused. These would be my first pair of expensive headphone and would like to know what suits me best. Shure se215 vs Sony XBA-3 vs Philips SHE9850.(These are the only ones available in my part of the world, so please dont suggest me any others) I know there is some price difference in these, but i am ready to take a pay more for good sounding music. I listen to dubstep, trance and house music. I currently own Sony XB30EX Extra-Bass Stereo Headphones. Thanks. :)

May 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 31
XBA3 are the best of that bunch by quite a bit and I think they will work with your genres well. They are also likely the most expensive but worth it in my opinion.

May 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 31
Why not SHE9900? You can obtained them cheaply on ebay and they sound clear and transparent with a good ability to perform above average for all genera of music. 

I am not a fan ot XBA line, it is said that their XBA-1 and XBA-3 are the best one, I havent tried it but I do own the XBA-4 and I dislike it greatly. 

May 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 31
How about TDK BA200? Xba tends to produce that harsh and metallic treble when it reach the higher area of the treble region. TDK BA200 tends to be just fine with every genre, for me at least. If not available, I have no clue then since Xba-1 and TDK BA200 are all I have now.

May 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:
XBA3 are the best of that bunch by quite a bit and I think they will work with your genres well. They are also likely the most expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Seconded.

Though their treble presentation can border on metallic, they still sound great.

May 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:
How about TDK BA200? Xba tends to produce that harsh and metallic treble when it reach the higher area of the treble region. TDK BA200 tends to be just fine with every genre, for me at least. If not available, I have no clue then since Xba-1 and TDK BA200 are all I have now.

Quote:
Hi, unfortunately the SHE9900 aren't available in my country!!

unfortunately they arent available in India... what about the shure? thanks
Quote:
Seconded.

Though their treble presentation can border on metallic, they still sound great

Have you personally listened to them mate?? thanks

May 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

May 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 31
I can't comment on the other two but personally I don't think the XBA-3 has enough bass for the music you listen to.

May 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Have you personally listened to them mate?? thanks

Yes, I own the XBA-3 and they're my preferred IEMs for listening away from my desk.

May 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 31
@ kartoonz...
Did you decide on which one to buy?? Actually Im also confused on the exact same models Shure SE215, Sony XBA-3

@ All
I had Denon AHC560R in my preference but read a lot of bad things about Denon's build not being so good and that the wires break so easily...so that was eliminated...
Going with the other two...I understand one is a Dynamic driver and other is a Balanced Armature one...but somehow I am stuck to these now...I am sure I will be hearing my music on one of these very soon.
I had a Klipsch S4A II and I liked it a lot. But the left bud will not produce any sound anymore. Trying to get it replaced but I need a good pair ASAP.
SE215s are available in a couple of online stores and Sony, I assume, will be available in the REAL stores...
Based on what I checked, here in India, SE215s are slightly more pricey than XBA-3s...

Now let me put in my requirements...

- I hear a lot of Indian film music (goes across all genres - classical, blues, jazz, electronic)
 - My primary source is my Galaxy Nexus and Iphone 3GS (mostly mp3s from 192 to 320 kbps)
 - I hear music on the go with my helmets on and also while on bed - Not sure how XBA-3s will really work out on this aspect as I think they will stick out of my ears.
 - I like a more balanced sound (i.e. I love Bass, Mids and Treble equally)
 - Build quality is very important as I take it with me wherever I go (motorcycle, walking, jogging, trains, buses, bed)
 - Overall comfort is very important but I can do with a slightly lesser isolation. I prefer less sound to be leaked though.
 - I am new to BAs and I am not sure how my ears will accept them - Guys who hear both can suggest :)

I was initially thinking of XBA-3s but somehow I missed them (maybe I thought they were pricey) and almost finalized on the SE215s (did not mind the price as I liked the design and reviews) after a lot of research. I had read the entire 70 odd pages of Shure SE15 impressions and a bit skeptical about the cable issue many were facing. So I started a second round of research and bumped into the XBAs again. Im ready to buy even SE215SPE if the build quality is better in those.

Any quick response will be really appreciated!!! Thanks a lot Head-fiers

May 31, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #15 of 31
hi i have definitely decided not to get the sony xba 3 due to the asymmetrical cable shape, the left chord is shorter than the right one. I hate this designs type. thank god i checked some reviews since i had nearly got em... i'm probably looking at the shure se215 or logitech UE 600. 
http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=400483324109&Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-600-Noise-Isolating-Earphones-Dark-Silver

the shure's are available cheap from abroad. i asked the seller and he said that he has sold few to indian's without any issues. i think its worth  try. im considering either the shure's or UE 600 perhaps in the next coming week.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sure-SE215-Clear-Headset-Earphones-Professional-stage-artists-monitor-Headphones-/181071526176?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2a28b43920

Users who are viewing this thread

Back