Shure SE215 vs. Monster Jamz vs.....
May 11, 2011 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JackF

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a pair of canalphones for less than $150. I've done a decent amount of research (several hours on Cnet.com and head-fi.org forums) and I've basically short-listed these as my primary options:

Shure SE215
Monster Jamz
(Westone 1 - possibly)

Up to now, I've had two pairs of Sennheiser CX300-IIs, but both pairs broke far too quickly, and for various reasons I couldn't get either pair replaced on warranty. So first off, durability in these 'phones is quite important. The Monsters are advertised as being almost indestructible (a claim which I am somewhat sceptical about, but they don't seem half bad anyway); and Shure seem to have a reputation making well built, durable headphones, and also the cable is replacable on the SE215s.
The main reason the Westone 1s aren't a more real option is because I haven't yet heard any positive comments (or negative, but still..) about their build quality/durability. However, if people can convince me otherwise, I'd be willing to have another look.

Sound quality and isolation are probably just as important as each other. I am a drummer, and I'll be using these 'phones as IEMs for drum practice most days (as in, playing along to songs or a click track on an ipod) so isolation is quite important. They might (in the future) also be used as on-stage personal monitors, but until I can afford a full personal monitoring system, a venue's foldbacks will have to do. But by the time I can afford a full wireless PMS, I probably will upgrade my IEMs as well; so these will just be for personal listening and drum practice.
The other thing is sound quality. I guess clarity is important, but I'm yet to develop enough of a preference to say that I want one thing over another. I've seen the
SE215's sound described as ''fun''.. So I guess that a decent place to start for a first set of good headphones (I don't count the Sennheisers in this, as I didn't research before buying them, or critically listen to them, I just used them).
I'm rather new to quality headphones, but I can say that I don't really want very over-powering bass, but I do like decent bass. The music I listen to is mainly post-hardcore, metalcore and prog- and hard-rock, so that's heavy guitars and drums, and often high male vocals. I don't know what that translates to frequency-wise, but yeah.

Also, would burning in headphones in different ways bring out different parts of the sound? ...i've read that the SE215s are a bit lacking in treble, so would there be anything I could do while burning in to bring out the treble?

Thanks,
Jack

May 11, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 4
So what's more important for you?  Music listening or monitoring purposes?  A great stage monitor that's $150 is the VSonic GR07.  It's very balanced, and quite durable, at least from my impressions.  There are a few reviews on the forum too, so you could check them out.

I'd recommend you don't go for the Jamz, as they're possibly a little mediocre for the price.  Still, you can find a review for all of these but the SE215 here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-165-iems-compared-vsonic-gr07-added-05-08

The Westone 1 seems to have good build quality according to Joker.

May 11, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 4
For this pair, listening to music is probably more important than monitoring, but I just need good isolation for playing drums with them...

I'm favouring the Shures at the moment, they seem to have largely positive reviews, and I'd go with Shure over Monster for value for money.

I'll have a look at the GR07s, but as I said I don't think these 'phones will be used for on-stage monitoring.

Thanks for your help :)

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 4
Hey JackF.

I don't know if you're still interested but you can check out my review of the Shure SE215.

It's called "Shure SE215 Review".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back