Shure SE215 upgrade
Mar 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

andysor

New Head-Fier
As I've posted on other threads I recently acquired my first set of IEMs. They were quite cheap, but I was expecting them to be adequate for public transport use, which I will be using regularly from now on. The isolation is excellent, but I don't really like the overall sound.

The problem: too much bass, ill defined bass, recessed upper mids and treble, lack of detail.

My regular cans are the Denon D2000s, so I was surprised I didn't like the bass.

I'll have to use them for a few months before I decide, but I am strongly considering spending a fair bit more on something that will make me smile all the way to work, rather than just pass the time.

Any suggestions? Will the SE535s address all my concerns (they are more or less my price range)?

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
As I've posted on other threads I recently acquired my first set of IEMs. They were quite cheap, but I was expecting them to be adequate for public transport use, which I will be using regularly from now on. The isolation is excellent, but I don't really like the overall sound.

The problem: too much bass, ill defined bass, recessed upper mids and treble, lack of detail.

My regular cans are the Denon D2000s, so I was surprised I didn't like the bass.

I'll have to use them for a few months before I decide, but I am strongly considering spending a fair bit more on something that will make me smile all the way to work, rather than just pass the time.

Any suggestions? Will the SE535s address all my concerns (they are more or less my price range)?

You can get a 1964-T custom in the $400 range, if you dont want customs Westone 4 is a solid choice.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
You can get a 1964-T custom in the $400 range, if you dont want customs Westone 4 is a solid choice.

Don't think I'm ready to shell out for customs. I'm in Norway, so customs are considerably more here.

Could you elaborate on why the Westone 4 would be better than something like the SE535?

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 10
They have overall different sound sigs. The W4's have a more balanced sound iirc, keeping in mind I haven't listened to them for any great amount of time. The 535's have a more mid-centric tone, and are my personal favourite IEM at the moment. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Mar 31, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 10
the se535 have very forward mids, slightly sparkly treble, the bass is tight not overemphasized or synthetic sounding more natural sounding. separation detail of instruments is amazing, detail is amazing. the 535 are bright and fun sounding

removeable cable of the 535 allow for you to get the baldur mk2 or better cable, and thus increase the performance of the iem's regular westone 4's no cable replacement thus you are stuck with the sound you hear. having the ability to change the cable is great for if it gets damaged or to just improve the sound

the westone 4 have a darker sound signature. the mids arent as forward as the 535 some say the 4's are on the boring side, i could see that if they did a side by side comparison with the se535, as the 535 are pretty bright. the limited 535 are even brighter than the regular 535 but i dont think in a bad way.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 10
I've also read the the Sony XBA-4 is a little better than the Westone 4, but the XBA-3 is a little more natural sounding.
I can't confirm either of those statements for myself though.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I've also read the the Sony XBA-4 is a little better than the Westone 4, but the XBA-3 is a little more natural sounding.
I can't confirm either of those statements for myself though.

I hear the opposite.  The Westone 4 basically outdoes the XBA-4 in just about every category (even if it's just a slight advantage) quality-wise. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
the se535 have very forward mids, slightly sparkly treble, the bass is tight not overemphasized or synthetic sounding more natural sounding. separation detail of instruments is amazing, detail is amazing. the 535 are bright and fun sounding

removeable cable of the 535 allow for you to get the baldur mk2 or better cable, and thus increase the performance of the iem's regular westone 4's no cable replacement thus you are stuck with the sound you hear. having the ability to change the cable is great for if it gets damaged or to just improve the sound

the westone 4 have a darker sound signature. the mids arent as forward as the 535 some say the 4's are on the boring side, i could see that if they did a side by side comparison with the se535, as the 535 are pretty bright. the limited 535 are even brighter than the regular 535 but i dont think in a bad way.

If he isnt going to go customs due to price, I doubt he would spend the money a Baldur cable costs.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
If he isnt going to go customs due to price, I doubt he would spend the money a Baldur cable costs.

I'm looking for something to play out of my phone while commuting, and maybe while at work, etc. I still think I'll use my Denon D2000s out of my Bithead for more serious listening.

Replacement cables and portable amps aren't really under consideration... yet

In any case, I don't see anyone mentioning the UE lineup, like the triple.fi 10 pro, or Etymonic ER4P? The Etymonics are quite a bit cheaper, so I'm assuming more of a consumer sound. The 535s I can get for a pretty good price, while the triple.fi and the Westone are quite expensive.

I want something that gives me a sound like my Denons. I find them very detailed with a beautiful midrange, and a treble that's just right without being fatiguing. The bass, of course, is plentiful but controlled. More importantly they have "presence" that makes me feel like I'm listening to a live show rather than a recording with socks over my ears.

I listen to a lot of live jazz/blues/rock/acoustic recordings, as well as modern electronic and rock. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back