Shure se215 LTD or Shure se315 or Shure se425? Upgrading from Shure se215
May 12, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #31 of 55
RHA t10i was terrible. I tried it already. I am looking forward to the t20 though. Fidue A83 looks interesting. How does it compare to se535 or 425?

EDIT:

After looking more into the A83. I am really liking the looks and reviews of it. I don't even think I want the t20 anymore. How's the comfort? Can I listen to it without an amp?

May 12, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #32 of 55
I'm not sure lack of bass is real excuse for not buying headphones. Most software or equipment cam offer bass or eq bass in some form. Just a small notch in the 60~100Hz area of 3dB should be sufficient. They are times when more bass would be good without additional steps however if you just want a neutral as possible sound then you'll equally be happy.

May 12, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #33 of 55
  Lets not get into a cable debate OK?

I've tried several with my equipment - and in double blind volume matched tests I hear no difference.  If you do - fine - congrats - lets leave it.  No-one has proven (ie no documented controlled tests) that there are major differences.  If you want to debate it - take it to Sound Science.  Lets leave it out of the forums please.

Anyway - what are you looking for in the change from the SE215's.  If you can describe what you like, don't like, and what you'd like to change - you'll get a little more help.  I've heard or owned most of the SE series.

Amazing. You are the only person I have encountered who said they could not hear differences between different cables and interconnects. As for the debate, you introduced it here, not me. Finally, I am not after a "sound" per se but after accuracy or, subject to the limitations of the medium (e.g., no visceral impact; a sonic miniature in the ear, etc,), that which best replicates the sounds of live, unamplified music in various venues. So far, I have the Westone W4's and the Sennheiser ie80's, among a few other less mentionables, and the differences between them and the SE215's are considerable, although the latter is still fun and good bang per buck, in a sort of big, warm gushy way.

May 12, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #34 of 55
  RHA t10i was terrible. I tried it already. I am looking forward to the t20 though. Fidue A83 looks interesting. How does it compare to se535 or 425?

EDIT:

After looking more into the A83. I am really liking the looks and reviews of it. I don't even think I want the t20 anymore. How's the comfort? Can I listen to it without an amp?

OK - so you want bass impact without it being overly dark or cloyingly warm.  Now we're getting somewhere.

The A83 is reasonably well balanced with a mild V, quite a fulls ounding mid-range, and I find it has good clarity.  Fit is very tip dependent.  I use Complys and get excellent seal and fit.  Some struggle with it.  Ergonomically theya re a shallow fit - but I find them very comfortable.  they won't isolate as well as the Shures because of the dynamic driver (it is vented) - but it's still pretty good, and maybe slightly above average coapred to a typcial dynamic or other hybrid.

Bass is really good - both impact and quality - without going overboard.

They are very easy to drive, and sound great even out of a smartphone.

I'd take mine anyday of the week over the SE535 Ltd Ed I had.

My review here : http://www.head-fi.org/products/fidue-a83-reference-class-triple-hybrid-iem/reviews/11605

Caveat - some have had connectivity issues with the A83 stock cable.  I swapped mine for a Shure cable and it's perfect.  YMMV

May 12, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #35 of 55
  Amazing. You are the only person I have encountered who said they could not hear differences between different cables and interconnects. As for the debate, you introduced it here, not me. 

BS - this thread ring any bells (http://www.head-fi.org/t/42667/audible-differences-in-copper-vs-silver-cables/)  Again - can we leave the cable claims out of it.

May 12, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #36 of 55
  Finally, I am not after a "sound" per se but after accuracy or, subject to the limitations of the medium (e.g., no visceral impact; a sonic miniature in the ear, etc,), that which best replicates the sounds of live, unamplified music in various venues. So far, I have the Westone W4's and the Sennheiser ie80's, among a few other less mentionables, and the differences between them and the SE215's are considerable, although the latter is still fun and good bang per buck, in a sort of big, warm gushy way.

So you want something more neutral.  Have you tried any triple hybrids.  they do offer bang for buck.  The DN-2000 is a relaly good example, and relatively neutral.  You might also like to look at the Trinity Delta.  Evidently the new DN-2000J from DUNU is supposed to have a good mix of neutrality and emphasis on fidelity.  Review units are just making their rounds now - so you should see more reports on that in the short term.  I'll have a pair myself in the next few days.

If you're looking for a budgte pair that is really quite special - also consider the DUNU Titan.

May 12, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #38 of 55
I found the Shure cable less microphonic - it is bulkier.  Most inportant thing was that it solved my cut-out problem.  Dirt cheap too.  And put it this way - it's the same cable as on the SE series, and my original 425's lasted for years before I sold them.

May 12, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #39 of 55
Rings no bells. I have not read much here. I come out of high end room audio where there is virtually no one left who believes cables and interconnects don't matter. I live aboard my own boat as I have been sailing around the world and living in different countries for the last 13 years. I have been somewhat  less than enchanted with the stereo systems I have had on board (currently Emotiv 5S powered bookshelf speakers, Audience and Audioquest cabling and interconnects and a Yamaha subwoofer). I have gotten into in-ear ear phones in the last few years largely on my own, looking for a second or third fall back approach to audio and also to have portable audio with the quality DAP's now available (have the Fiio X3 original and the X5). I have been used to the very best room equipment and the come down on audio in adjusting to the boat still has me in shock. I am simply trying to make do and adjust, trying earphones. But I do not like anything that grabs my head, so I look at only in-ear phones.

May 12, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #40 of 55
^ Do you recommend a good cable for Shure series? I find the current stock cable very comfortable. I have read that some people have issues and some people don't (like Brooko). I don't know if high quality cables make a difference, but I don't mind trying it out for myself. Btw if you recommend one, can you recommend a comfortable one. As I hear silver cables can be stiff.

May 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #41 of 55
  ^ Do you recommend a good cable for Shure series? I find the current stock cable very comfortable. I have read that some people have issues and some people don't (like Brooko). I don't know if high quality cables make a difference, but I don't mind trying it out for myself. Btw if you recommend one, can you recommend a comfortable one. As I hear silver cables can be stiff.

I am no expert on cables in this area. I have a 9N Ohno cast copper plated with silver and separate stranded silver wires cable coming from HiFAcoustic for the Sennheiser ie80's that I have heard good things about from an acquaintance but have not heard it myself yet so I don't know. For the Shure SE215's, I have a cable coming from Zee's that is cheaper and 4N OFC with silver plating. But again, I don't know and have heard nothing about it. I will need to break them both in and listen.  The stock Shure cable is a bit long, heavy and clunky, in my view.

May 12, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #43 of 55
Get the iems first, listen to them and then worry about the cables.

I use my 425s with comply Ps or Westone foams. Coupled with hardware bass boost when needed it's enough for me. Not as bass heavy as 215s but bass quality is much higher. Still it won't be enough for you.

Look at the Westone range. Pretty much the same shape of build.

May 12, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #44 of 55
  It's comfortable, but some have issues. I actually saw Zee's cables as well. I am interested in getting them. I looked at the 7n Cryopreservation. 

I will report to you after I have had a chance to break in and audition what I have coming. They might not suit.  Both were pretty much a shot in the dark. The acquaintance I mentioned tends to like what he has. His up front bias is the opposite of mine. I work on the premise that all new equipment is going to suck and wait to be surprised. 

May 12, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #45 of 55
  Get the iems first, listen to them and then worry about the cables.

I use my 425s with comply Ps or Westone foams. Coupled with hardware bass boost when needed it's enough for me. Not as bass heavy as 215s but bass quality is much higher. Still it won't be enough for you.

Look at the Westone range. Pretty much the same shape of build.

I can say exactly the same thing in regard to my use of my Westone W4's and in regard to my SE215's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back