Shure se215 LTD or Shure se315 or Shure se425? Upgrading from Shure se215
Apr 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

comfortPlox

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently have the Shure se215. I really like Shure earphones because they are so comfortable so I am looking to upgrade (because I want some more Bass). I have heard that Shure se215 LTD have more bass and are more improved. I have not heard much about se315 or se425 in terms of Bass. I would love the Shure se535, but they are just too expensive.

I hear the RHA t10i are good, but are they comfortable? I am also open to other options like maybe Sennheiser IE80, but I really need a comfortable pair more than anything.

I really appreciate any help!

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 55
Hey, I agree with you on how well the Shure IEMs fit (except the cable).  I doubt 315 or 425 will provide the bass you need.  If you haven't done so, you may want to understand the difference between dynamic and balanced drivers first.  See if you may prefer one over the other.  You may also want to look at Westone.  Currently Westone Beta are on sale ($68) and Shure 535 are on sale ($380).  Both have BA drivers.  I only have the SE425 from the Shure line (currently selling).  I really like my Westone UmPro30s which offer plenty of bass with a very warm sound sig.  They are as comfortable as the Shure but the sound sig is different.

You may also want to note you music preference and price range.  This will help people make good recommendations for your taste & price.

I hope that helps.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 55
First, thanks so much for your response!

I really like Shure products in terms of comfort and quality. How about the se215 LTD? I hear they have more Bass. Where can I get the se535 for $380? Do you like the Shure se425? Have you listened to RHA T10i? I am hoping to stay under the $300 range for my new IEMS.

I listen to a lot of dubstep or electro type music. I don't care all that much for vocals, but clarity is also preferred.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 55
  First, thanks so much for your response!

I really like Shure products in terms of comfort and quality. How about the se215 LTD? I hear they have more Bass. Where can I get the se535 for $380? Do you like the Shure se425? Have you listened to RHA T10i? I am hoping to stay under the $300 range for my new IEMS.

I listen to a lot of dubstep or electro type music. I don't care all that much for vocals, but clarity is also preferred.

I haven't listened to 215 LTD or T10i.  I like the 425s and have no issue with them except for bass, which is what you are looking for.  However, with the bass boost on my JDS C5D, I feel the IEMs come to life.  I was going to recommend Westone W30 but I saw your post on that thread stating the Beats are better so that's out (you can get those for $300).   

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 55
BEATS ARE AMAZING

I was probably just trolling.

Are the Westones just as comfortable? Comfort is a HUGE factor. It's pointless to have a nice pair of earphones if I can't listen to them for very long.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 55
Yes, they are very comfortable.  And you can use the Shure Olive tips on them.  You may also want to look at Audeo Pfe series.  Earphone Solutions had them on sale for 60% off (call them if they still don't).  These are some of the most comfortable and easy to listen to IEMs.  Bass is pretty good.  You really can't go wrong for $40 or $50.  These tips are pretty good as well as I use them on my UmPro30.

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 55
Interesting question. The Shure 215´s are tuned very nicely. Boosted bass and mids with rolled off treble. I haven´t owned the 315/425, but I had the 530 and currently have the 846. I would say the only actual upgrade to the 215´s sound (if bass needs to be at least as strong) in the lineup is unfortunately the 846. Since you mentioned you require more bass, anything else will be a downgrade. The 315 is from what I´ve read is a more neutral 215. The 535 bass isn´t as strong as in the 215 either and since it is an armature driver the bass has a "light" feel to it. I would keep the 215´s and look at other companies offerings in order to find something that has a similar tuning style. It´ll be difficult to find a good upgrade though as midrange is very difficult to get right. You´ll find plenty of IEM´s that are an upgrade bass wise, but very few manage to combine strong bass with a boosted midrange that isn´t shouty. Shure is famous for their midrange tuning for a reason :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 55
  Interesting question. The Shure 215´s are tuned very nicely. Boosted bass and mids with rolled off treble. I haven´t owned the 315/425, but I had the 530 and currently have the 846. I would say the only actual upgrade to the 215´s sound (if bass needs to be at least as strong) in the lineup is unfortunately the 846. Since you mentioned you require more bass, anything else will be a downgrade. The 315 is from what I´ve read is a more neutral 215. The 535 bass isn´t as strong as in the 215 either and since it is an armature driver the bass has a "light" feel to it. I would keep the 215´s and look at other companies offerings in order to find something that has a similar tuning style. It´ll be difficult to find a good upgrade though as midrange is very difficult to get right. You´ll find plenty of IEM´s that are an upgrade bass wise, but very few manage to combine strong bass with a boosted midrange that isn´t shouty. Shure is famous for their midrange tuning for a reason :)

Thanks for your response. 

Also, thanks Smurfs2010 for helping me as well.

I think have come to a decision for right now which is to go with SHURE SE215 LTD. It's only a slight upgrade, but I think that's all I need. i'm gonna give my current SE215's to my sister and make the change. I think it's good, cause I truly love the fit of these IEM, and the Shure SE215 LTD aren't as pricey either. I have heard that the LTD version has some more Bass so I think that's going to do it for me!

Smurfs2010, I would get Westone, but I think it's still out of my price range. The se215 LTD earphones are $130 so it's not too bad. I can't afford se846 =), but they sound like they are an awesome IEM.

Thanks again to both of you!

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 55

Thanks for your response. 

Also, thanks Smurfs2010 for helping me as well.

I think have come to a decision for right now which is to go with SHURE SE215 LTD. It's only a slight upgrade, but I think that's all I need. i'm gonna give my current SE215's to my sister and make the change. I think it's good, cause I truly love the fit of these IEM, and the Shure SE215 LTD aren't as pricey either. I have heard that the LTD version has some more Bass so I think that's going to do it for me!

Smurfs2010, I would get Westone, but I think it's still out of my price range. The se215 LTD earphones are $130 so it's not too bad. I can't afford se846 =), but they sound like they are an awesome IEM.

Thanks again to both of you!

No problem, glad to help! The 215LTD seems like a great choice. I somehow forgot about it when i wrote that reply. And that I actually have a 215 and use it all the time (need to update my profile here) :) That´s why I´m pretty confident in saying the 535 isn´t a direct upgrade, although it is technically superior of course. The tuning style of an IEM is more important than raw technical ability. It´s quite common people buy "superior" IEM´s that are tuned very differently and in the end are disappointed despite the technical improvement. I´ve done that a lot at least. It took a long time to find out what kind of tuning I like (boosted bass, forward mids is the minimum, not a big fan of V-style tuning where the vocals take a backseat to the bass and treble).

The 215 is my current IEM of choice for running. Awesome for hiphop/dance etc :) Enjoy! The blue shell in the limited edition looks great too.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 55

No problem, glad to help! The 215LTD seems like a great choice. I somehow forgot about it when i wrote that reply. And that I actually have a 215 and use it all the time (need to update my profile here) :) That´s why I´m pretty confident in saying the 535 isn´t a direct upgrade, although it is technically superior of course. The tuning style of an IEM is more important than raw technical ability. It´s quite common people buy "superior" IEM´s that are tuned very differently and in the end are disappointed despite the technical improvement. I´ve done that a lot at least. It took a long time to find out what kind of tuning I like (boosted bass, forward mids is the minimum, not a big fan of V-style tuning where the vocals take a backseat to the bass and treble).

The 215 is my current IEM of choice for running. Awesome for hiphop/dance etc :) Enjoy! The blue shell in the limited edition looks great too.

I know what you mean by technically superior vs sound signature preference. I am sure the se535 is quite superior, but it's really pricey for me at this time, and like you said the bass response might not even be as good. So I guess the sound signature is different for my taste. On the other hand, the se215 LTD works out great, because I love everything about the se215, but I just want a little more bass since i listen to EDM.

Thanks again!

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #14 of 55
Cables are quite the controversial topic... The traditional saying in audiophile circles is that copper cables add bass ("warmer sound") while silver adds or emphasizes treble ("brighter sound"). That being said it has never been measured or proved in any scientific study that cables can affect sound quality this way. Some believe in it, some don´t. I personally don´t and consider cables a waste of money (it´s different if the reason is getting a lighter cable or for balanced connectors though). I think it´s a classic case of perception psychology where we transfer the look of the cable to an expectation of the sound.

They are also very expensive compared to the cost of the components used (an add-on cable to the SE215 will cost more than the IEM itself). Even if by some thus far unknown to science principles cables do in fact affect sound in the way cable manufacturers claim the difference is minimal at best and even then poor value for money compared to buying new IEMs if you ask me :)

EDIT: what do you use as the source by the way? If a smartphone, try a playback application that has high quality EQ and experiment by boosting the bass up a little. There are also standalone digital audio players (DAP) that have EQ functionality. Another option would be to run a small portable amp. Amplification usually makes the bass tighter and more impactful plus some amps even have a built-in bass boost function. Fiio for example makes good and fairly priced portable amps.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #15 of 55
I've owned the 215s, 315s, and also the 425s. Both the 315s have the weakest bass but the 425s won't have the bass you are looking after either. I would suggest to get a custom shell from Sensaphonics it will improve bass tactility and quantity and will be more comfortable than any options listed above (westone, etc etc)

I only recommend this IF you like your SE215s. 

The whole customs process will probably cost you just over $200 USD. ($150 for the shell + 50 for impressions + shipping)

Please take a look at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846

Users who are viewing this thread

Back