Shure se215 LTD or Shure se315 or Shure se425? Upgrading from Shure se215
May 12, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #46 of 55
  ^ Do you recommend a good cable for Shure series? I find the current stock cable very comfortable. I have read that some people have issues and some people don't (like Brooko). I don't know if high quality cables make a difference, but I don't mind trying it out for myself. Btw if you recommend one, can you recommend a comfortable one. As I hear silver cables can be stiff.

Mixing high grade copper and silver seems to be a way to go for earphone cables. Here is   

Alo Audio's Audeze Reference 16 Silver/Copper Headphone Cable
Manufacturer's Description:
Crafted with our reference geometry using our very finest materials. Super-soft high-purity copper intertwined with FEP jacketed silver plated copper (SXC.) 16 conductors. 22 gauge. Handmade USA.
Features:
Jacket Material:   Fluoridated ethylene propylene (Lux FEP)
Conductor Material:  Silver Plated Super Annealed High Purity Copper / High Purity Copper
Conductor Gauge:  22awg
Number of Conductors:  16
Cryogenic Treatment:  Cryo-Fil

A wee pricey at $649, but their earphones aren't cheap either.

May 13, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #47 of 55

So you want something more neutral.  Have you tried any triple hybrids.  they do offer bang for buck.  The DN-2000 is a relaly good example, and relatively neutral.  You might also like to look at the Trinity Delta.  Evidently the new DN-2000J from DUNU is supposed to have a good mix of neutrality and emphasis on fidelity.  Review units are just making their rounds now - so you should see more reports on that in the short term.  I'll have a pair myself in the next few days.

If you're looking for a budgte pair that is really quite special - also consider the DUNU Titan.

How does clarity compare to se425? Which would you prefer? I assume the a83, since you like it over the se535 ltd.

May 13, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #48 of 55
That is something I can't really answer unfortunately. There was a 3 year gap between selling the SE425 and getting the A83. So I've never compared the two. Sorry

May 13, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #50 of 55
One way to look at the SE315,425 and 525 from Shure is the drivers are what you paying for. The connector cable doesn't cost as much as the rest of the setup. However paying for a slightly higher-grade cable might some benefits in the long term although if the cost outweighed the actual rest of IEM parts, I might play the insanity card for anyone who thinks it makes a real difference.

May 13, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #51 of 55
  One way to look at the SE315,425 and 525 from Shure is the drivers are what you paying for. The connector cable doesn't cost as much as the rest of the setup. However paying for a slightly higher-grade cable might some benefits in the long term although if the cost outweighed the actual rest of IEM parts, I might play the insanity card for anyone who thinks it makes a real difference.

The way I look at it is for Shure you are paying 50% build quality and 50% driver (SQ). Other companies you pay solely for the sound and maybe only 10-20% for build quality. That's why some companies have better sound for the same price but a lesser quality product (in terms of build).

But we all see differently.

May 13, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #52 of 55

Do you know of any good aftermarkets?

May 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #53 of 55
You could try some of these....

FiiO RC-SE1

You just need to make sure they have the MCX connectors and aim for something with high-grade material.

May 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #54 of 55
I've only heard minimal differences with cables on IEMs and mostly portable audio gear.

The only time where I felt an upgrade cable is justified is on top-tier HiFi home systems. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #55 of 55
A couple of months on and I swapped to a portable FiiO X3 ii player which has higher headphone amplification and I'm still using the SE425 and whilst their sound hasn't changed dramatically, they are no longer under powered. The LG G2 has a music application along with the Google Play Music which I was using for storage reasons more than anything. You definitely getting a better response and directness when using the LG Music App and FLAC format however the amplification is still underwhelming.

The FiiO player makes good work of the SE425 and I suspect SE535 or SE846, however we'll need to see. So that's another company added to the reliability list for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back