Shure se215 amped
Jan 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

aczesz

New Head-Fier
Hi I was wondering if anyone has amped their se215's.  I am considering fio e11 or e5, and was wondering if amping them makes a difference.  I listen to dubstep so I am mostly looking for a difference on the bass side of things.
Thank you!

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
Other then bass boast and increased volume it does nothing.

For the most part, I would respectfully disagree with this statement. Very often people get an amp and expect it to sound vastly different immediately. Unfortunately, the changes are more subtle and require extended listening to appreciate the improvements in sound quality. I have quite a few IEMs (Shure, Westone, UE, Etymotic, etc.) along with a number of different amps, both portable and stationary. I cannot think of one case where the SQ did not change......usually for the better. More detail, clarity, tighter bass, smoother vocals, etc. My advice to anyone who feels that amps do not provide a richer, more satisfying listening experience is to possibly borrow an amp, listen to it with your favorite IEMs for a few days. THEN, listen without the amp. I think you'll understand what I'm talking about. If your ears tell you there is no difference, consider yourself one of the lucky ones..........you've just saved yourself a boatload of money! :)

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 30
I mean you can EQ them for more bass, which I had success with through my soundcard. Just buying an amp isn't really going to change the sound that much. There's another popular amp that has a bass boost built in that I can't remember the name of, V0 maybe?

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
Hi I was wondering if anyone has amped their se215's.  I am considering fio e11 or e5, and was wondering if amping them makes a difference.  I listen to dubstep so I am mostly looking for a difference on the bass side of things.
Thank you!

I have the E5 and E6........both have bass boost buttons. The E6 also has another EQ setting which is similar to some loudness buttons on receivers......it boosts both bass and treble. Considering the cost of these little amps, the improvement in SQ for many headphones is wonderful. Just my opinion, of course. :)

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
I have the E5 and E6........both have bass boost buttons. The E6 also has another EQ setting which is similar to some loudness buttons on receivers......it boosts both bass and treble. Considering the cost of these little amps, the improvement in SQ for many headphones is wonderful. Just my opinion, of course. :)

hey man, i just bought the 215's, and i am one of the very few around here, who is not really impressed with them, even after about 100 of burn in... thinking of buying an e6. you think it's worth the 30? will it change stuff? i need more bass and more empowering and warm sound.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
hey man, i just bought the 215's, and i am one of the very few around here, who is not really impressed with them, even after about 100 of burn in... thinking of buying an e6. you think it's worth the 30? will it change stuff? i need more bass and more empowering and warm sound.

May I ask what headphones you were using before the SE215?

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #11 of 30

Quote:
May I ask what headphones you were using before the SE215?

yes that is a correct question.. i was using Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3's... it looks like many people here seem to think that i need to go back to armatures because my ears are used to that sound. i actually ended up returning the shures and i have some Creative Aurvana 3 (dual BA's) on the way, because i would not want to use an amp.

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
yes that is a correct question.. i was using Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3's... it looks like many people here seem to think that i need to go back to armatures because my ears are used to that sound. i actually ended up returning the shures and i have some Creative Aurvana 3 (dual BA's) on the way, because i would not want to use an amp.

How would you compare the bass response on the creative Aurvana 3 to some of the higher end dynamic driver based IEMs?

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
How would you compare the bass response on the creative Aurvana 3 to some of the higher end dynamic driver based IEMs?

firstly, like I said, they are still on the way.....

secondly, my experience goes mostly to BA drivers, i used to own Klipsch image x5, 2 pairs of SF3's, the klipsch custom 2, the first aurvanas, i absolutely loved all of these, with a prefference in the UE's.. so it seems i enjoy more the detailed and rich sound of a BA phone than that of a dynamic one. i don't know what i was thinking buying dynamic iems. but the 215's are so praised and so highly positioned on head-fi, the reviews are 99% excellent, so the design, detachable cables, and price attracted me to buy them, but i couldn't enjoy them at all. i just hope my aurvana 3's will be the ones... can't wait to receive them! they are already so late.......

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 30
I have noticed that my Shure SE215 sound awesome through my integrated amp whereas they sound decent through my MP3 player...

So yes IMO they sound a lot nicer with an amp

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 30

Since reading this thread, I pulled out my Shure SE215 and listened to John Mayer's Say via the iPhone4 and then via the RSA Tomahawk amp (using a LOD).

The Tomahawk effects the SE215 the same way it effects my SE535se. It reduces the harshness in the treble, tightens up the bass and makes is slightly deeper.

To my ears, the improvements from adding an amp is subtle, but enough to make me want to use the amp whenever it is possible.

And not all amps are the same. If possible, find a place that lets you try some out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back