Shure SE 425/535, westone 3/ UM3X/ 4, Sennheiser IE8(0), UE TF10, which one?
May 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

From what I know, is that I prefer either an IEM which has a V-shaped sound signature or a neutral analytical one as described below:

If on a scale from 1 to 10, with 5 completely neutral and 10 extremely heavy on that part of the sound (1 being rudimentary), I'd like a sound signature (order: bass-mids-treble) of about 6.5 - 5 - 6,or 5-5-5 so I can easily equalise the source to the sound I like.

Quote:
Why is everyone recommending the SE535 when he explicitly stated he wants a v-shaped sound signature?!

Now, the SE535 is not exactly neutral. But I do think it wouldn't be bad for the genres he's described. I think that people who've heard the SE535 (especially since he's listed it) guess that he would probably like it. It is fairly neutral though and he could eq it.

May 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #17 of 32
@BBB I think you'll love the TF10 for its V shaped signature and lively, analytical nature. Don't let its price fool you, because the TF10 is really underpriced at the moment or other IEMs are terribly overpriced. The only thing that you should "worry" is its ergonomics and how it sticks out of your ear. Personally, I don't mind them at all but some people in the forum had bad fits with them. 

Hope you'll find this useful

Isolation: (SExxx, UM3x, W4, TF10) > IE8
Comfort: (SExxx, UM3x, W4) >= IE8 > TF10
SQuality: (TF10, W4, UM3x, IE8) > SE425

May 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Now, the SE535 is not exactly neutral. But I do think it wouldn't be bad for the genres he's described. I think that people who've heard the SE535 (especially since he's listed it) guess that he would probably like it. It is fairly neutral though and he could eq it.

are you saying the 535 is or isnt neutral? imo i dont find it at all neutral, however it is fun to listen to. personally i found neutral and flat boring, and not as ''fun''. before i got my se535 and had the se4xx i heard alot of people talk about this ''fun'' that wasnt the se4xx and i was like wonder what that ''fun'' sounds like, then i got the se535 and i now know what that ''fun is.

May 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:
@BBB I think you'll love the TF10 for its V shaped signature and lively, analytical nature. Don't let its price fool you, because the TF10 is really underpriced at the moment or other IEMs are terribly overpriced. The only thing that you should "worry" is its ergonomics and how it sticks out of your ear. Personally, I don't mind them at all but some people in the forum had bad fits with them. 

Hope you'll find this useful

Isolation: (SExxx, UM3x, W4, TF10) > IE8
Comfort: (SExxx, UM3x, W4) >= IE8 > TF10
SQuality: (TF10, W4, UM3x, IE8) > SE425

Have you heard the SE425? Not many people on the forums have.. I just got a pair. I like Shure's fantastic warranty and great prices on out-of-warranty repairs/replacements. I've really enjoyed the SE535 but $400 is so much for a pair of earphones; I'd love them if their treble was a little bit more extended/detailed. I hope the Se425 might be between a ER4P and a SE535. 

Quote:

are you saying the 535 is or isnt neutral? imo i dont find it at all neutral, however it is fun to listen to. personally i found neutral and flat boring, and not as ''fun''. before i got my se535 and had the se4xx i heard alot of people talk about this ''fun'' that wasnt the se4xx and i was like wonder what that ''fun'' sounds like, then i got the se535 and i now know what that ''fun is.

Se535 is not typical fun because for most people fun is v-shaped. I don't find it to be shaped; if anything it has an emphasis on mids, rather than bass and treble. I think the SE535 is fun though because the mids are so lush and enjoyable to listen to, while it still has really excellent bass extension. Its treble isn't bad but not as extended as I like. It's mids are flavored, but I find it still a basically more neutral iem as compared to the W3 and Triple.fi 10, yet more fun than the W4. 

I have to say that I really don't recommend the triple.fi 10 to anyone (although for $100 it is stellar sound for its price) because of its very weird shape and unexceptional build quality. I never liked its recessed mids though either; I always felt the vocals were just too far away from the mic. If one wanted v-shaped, I'd totally recommend the W3: two year warranty (if buying authorized), small enough that they rest in the ear, and really fun signature. I'm not a fan of the mid-bass bleed, but it beats out the triple.fi 10 in comfort, build quality, and for me, isolation. 

May 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 32
I'll probably take some flack for this, but just get the IE8 / IE80.

Of the models you're interested in, I have the IE8 / um3x / w3.  All 3 of these are nice for different reasons, but I find I enjoy the IE8 the most, it has the best balance of fit and sound for me.

um3x is comfy as well, has a lot of detail in the sound....but the sound stage is lacking and can sound kind of flat.  the w3, is very fun, lots of bass, nice treble (occasional sibilance, different tips help).  The IE8 though, just feels like I'm not listening to a headphone, its the most comfortable, sound is very open, and still has strong bass (there is a bit much mid bass, but i don't find it any more than the w3).  I alternate between a lot of universals when I'm at my desk, but when I need to travel, or choose only 1 IEM, I typically end up reaching for the IE8.

*for some reason the w3 just doesn't fit me nearly as well as the um3x.

May 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote: 
Originally posted by kevroc

Well definitely and A+ for a mastery of written English then if it's not your native language.  I never would've guessed it and I can usually spot it a mile away.

Thanks, that FCE exam and now the CAE practice is at least good for something :) Though my native language doesn't differ that much from English...

From what I've read here (and some more background reading on the TF10) I can say it isn't going to be the TF10, SE 425, IE8(0) or the W4.

The TF10 has the sound signature I'm looking for, but also has:
  1. Fit issues
  2. Isolation issues (afraid of those two reasons because there's no place nearby where I can try them out)
  3. Bad cable from what I've seen? (so an aftermarket cable will drive the price up) 
  4. A certain derp-factor, though I like the translucent blue.
  5. Isn't that cheap in Europe, actually quite similarly priced to the IE8(0) (about €200) (Sennheiser is quite cheap here), and more expensive with an aftermarket cable.

The IE8(0) has problems too:
  1. Again some fit and isolation issues
  2. Has the bass I want, but not the treble.

The SE 425 is focussed on mids and vocals, so there's no point for me buing them. (Again, similar priced here in europe to the IE8 and TF10)

The W4 is very good, but mid-focussed and a little boring. Also the most expensive of these ones.

This leaves me with the W3, UM3X and the SE 535:

The W3 doesn't have really big drawbacks, though the nozzle is quite short, is that a problem? And the mid-bass hump, is that fatiguing and annoying when listening electronic? The UM3X is similar, but has a slightly longer nozzle it seemd from one picture I saw, is that correct? The UM3X offers more separation but but has a more flat V-signature. But that is less fatiguing for long listening sessions.
Westones EPIC cable is truly epic though :)

The SE 535 has a longer cable which I'm not looking for, and their shape is said to be a little less comfy than the Westones. This is according to most of you the most neutral one, but I do prefer a sound signature to an equalizer, since a signature usually is more perfect than a equalisation (is that a newly invented word? :D)

So far, it's probably going to be either the UM3X or the W3 (I will have to pay in dollars, so that's cheap for me), the SE 535 being quite expensive too (€370) 

Is there any extensive comparison between these which I can rely on? their price differs about $30, so that isn't to much of a problem. And will these benefit from an FiiO E11 or a Headstage Arrow HE12 or is that a waste of money? 

There is another option though, coming in the form of the Sennheiser HD 25-II Adidas Originals. These are said to have a V-shaped signature too, and are quite a bit cheaper than the Westones, and I like the way they look. Are these superior or inferior to the W3 or UM3X in sound? They will have other drawbacks, such as a worse isolation and resultion (at least, I think they will) and less portability. An amp wouldn't be a luxury, since they have a 70 ohm impedance.

I really appreciate the advice, I hope you are willing to answer this new load of questions. 

May 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:
Nah, with the EX1000, I don't feel the need for the V-sonics. Looking forward (as in mids) to the UM3X.

We don't ever really need 90% of the headphones we buy. 
rolleyes.gif

May 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Have you heard the SE425? Not many people on the forums have.. I just got a pair. I like Shure's fantastic warranty and great prices on out-of-warranty repairs/replacements. I've really enjoyed the SE535 but $400 is so much for a pair of earphones; I'd love them if their treble was a little bit more extended/detailed. I hope the Se425 might be between a ER4P and a SE535. 

Of course!! I owned it for some time. I agree that $400 is a lot for an IEM. In fact, I am currently impressed with "budget-fi" IEMs because they sound pretty good compared to high end IEMs. Full sized headphone's another thing though - the sound reproduction and soundstage is almost entirely different. 

May 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:
This leaves me with the W3, UM3X and the SE 535:

The W3 doesn't have really big drawbacks, though the nozzle is quite short, is that a problem? And the mid-bass hump, is that fatiguing and annoying when listening electronic? The UM3X is similar, but has a slightly longer nozzle it seemd from one picture I saw, is that correct? The UM3X offers more separation but but has a more flat V-signature. But that is less fatiguing for long listening sessions.
Westones EPIC cable is truly epic though :)

So far, it's probably going to be either the UM3X or the W3 (I will have to pay in dollars, so that's cheap for me), the SE 535 being quite expensive too (€370) 

Is there any extensive comparison between these which I can rely on? their price differs about $30, so that isn't to much of a problem. And will these benefit from an FiiO E11 or a Headstage Arrow HE12 or is that a waste of money? 

I really appreciate the advice, I hope you are willing to answer this new load of questions. 

I've got the UM3X.  They are definitely not v-shaped.  I'd say mids are most prominent, followed by bass, and some may say the treble is recessed.  Again, keep in mind it was designed as professional stage monitoring earphone.  When artists are singing, they want to hear themselves - vocals are beautiful on the UM3X.  

As far as driving it goes, it's sort of a hard match.  The UM3X has a fairly high impedance for an IEM (56ohms) but also a high sensitivity (125 db).  I have a Fiio E7 and a jdslabs C421, and both benefit the UM3X, but it's a nominal benefit (smoother, creamier treble, more refined on the c421).  However, from a laptop, you'll probably need an dac/amp.  If I plug the UM3X directly into my Macbook Pro, there is unbearable hiss and sound suffers greatly as a result of that.  Also, because of its sensitivity, even 2/10th of the possible volume on my Mac can sometimes be too loud.

The Westone 3 are more consumer-oriented, and so they are far easier to drive.  Sound signature is slightly v-shaped, but nothing like a TF10.  

May 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #30 of 32
I couldn't stand the fit or lack of isolation of the TF10. I would recommend the UM3X (really hard to find music it doesn't sound great with) followed by the Westone 3 (more fun, but treble can be bright and fatiguing, and there's the midbass hump, although it's not any worse than the Sennheiser IE8). Those are my second and third-favorite IEMs respectively (behind the Etymotic ER-4).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back