Shure SE-420 vs SE-425 (long)
Jul 17, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 18

Quote:
thanks for the read, but did you compare the 425 in terms of isolation directly to the 420, maybe they isolate even better like the headroom graph suggests?
if you say the tips have to go deeper into the ear that seems the case.
could you sleep with the 420 or were they too bulky?

I found - once I worked out going to the next size olives - that the 425's isolated as well as the 420's.

Because the insertion isn't as deep, they were a lot easier to fit and to remove (you get the technique eventually).

Because of the shape with the 420's (bulbous body), I couldn't sleep with them.  Others may find differently.  I can sleep no problems with the 425 (have many times).  They fit flush with the ear, and I find them extremely comfortable.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #18 of 18
I recently unearthed my SE420 which had been in storage for years and am still a little confused by it. It always sounded too mushy for me, lacking definition and crispness everywhere and the failings of the crossover were too obvious. I suspect the refinements of the SE425 would make the listening experience more of what I originally wanted but there are so many other better choices out there these days. I'll definitely agree the SE420 midrange is very good and works spectacularly for singer/songwriter acoustic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back