Shure SE 315 replacement cable suggestions
Sep 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

coffeedragon

New Head-Fier
I just picked up a lightly used set of 315's to replace my VERY old but dependable SE110's.  They've got just enough hours on them to be broken in and I've got to say, I'm blown away.  However, I've got one huge gripe, the cable.

The stiff section at the IEM end of the cable is a complete pain in the ass!  I'm used to having a flexible cable all the way to the 'bud like on my 110's and I find the cable on the 315's really frustrating.  I want to find a cable that doesn't have the wire inserts but so far the only thing I've found is Shure's Music Phone Accessory Cable.  I don't want any inline controls, just straight audio cables so I don't think it's the right option.

Anyone care to make a recommendation for a quality set of cables that aren't completely ugly?  I want something durable as I use the 'buds for 3-4 hours every single day.  I'm new to the whole detachable cable thing so I figured I'd go straight to the experts :)

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 28
The ALO, Null Audio and few head-fiers made cables for IEMs.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
The ALO, Null Audio and few head-fiers made cables for IEMs.

WOW
blink.gif
talk about sticker shock!  I guess if I was looking to recable a pair of 525's I wouldn't blink at spending that kind of coin but ALO and Null just seem silly to plug into what I've got.  I'd be hanging drivers on the end of a cable that costs twice what the IEM does.

Any suggestions taking into account a more budget minded consumer?

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 28
Are you still looking for a cable? I have a silver Pearl V.2 cable that I used for my se315 and it was a HUGE improvement.  No annoying form wire around the ear, and the cable is much lighter and looks pretty damn good compared to the stiff, heavy, ugly stock one.  I believe they sell for $70 on ebay, I'd sell them for $45 if your still interested and could also send pictures.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 28
Thanks for rolling this Discussion on harnesses for in-ears, as I could use a few hints in what to search for in terms of harnesses for upgrading over-the-ears consistent with my list of candidates to replace the shot Corsair® HS-1A that I last used on my Asus® CM1630 with XONAR® upgrade audio.  As of 11 October 2012, I have narrowed my short list to seven models between AKG®, beyerdynamic® and Sennheiser®, with the Heil Sound® Pro Set™ HC-5 as a fallback; all use earpiece transducers of at least 200 Ω impedance.  The Shure® SE315 may yet be a candidate for upgrading my Motorola® S705-based Bluetooth in-ear monitor rig at some future point, as compactness is a factor in that role.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 28
If your interested in the SE315 I have a practically unused pair that I need to sell, as well as the cable I mentioned earlier.  PM if your interested, they'd be up for sale already if I had enough posts lol

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
And you would blow $250 on a cable for what reason?  Especially when the cost more than the actual headphone...cables are the biggest waste of money I've ever seen.

Why not..? Besides, cables are the only thing connecting your headphones/IEMs to your source, it's actually quite scientific how purity and conductivity of Copper and Silver affects the performance of IEMs and Headphones. Unless you TRIED Silver or OCC copper cables, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself because from the way I see it, you have no experience with cables, which is a common foolish mistake on head-fi; posting without knowing.
Quote:
Just curious, how do different cables change the sound of an IEM?

I have a SE315 myself and I'm unhappy with the cable, mainly because it doesn't stay in the shape I bend it into very well...

Many ways. For instance, both silver and Copper behave differently and a lot of cable manufacturers managed to make successful hybrids by using 2 or more kinds of metals. For example, DHC and other cables are heat activated so there is no need for hard and uncomfortable ear-glides and the cable just gently "molds" onto your ears. But with that said, the comfort isn't a night/day difference. Also the sound isn't going to be night/day as well. I find that OCC made my CIEMs treble a bit more tamed, mids more smooth, and it brought forth a bit more sub-bass, which it was lacking. It is going to be subtle differences that you can really appreciate, not change your IEM into a different beast. Another good example is my friend who introduced me to DHC. He said that his only complaint about his Westone ES5 was how it was "muffled" sounding and DHC's OCC cable just CLEARED that right up.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
@planx: Thanks for "clearing" that up! 
biggrin.gif

Mind linking some good (but cheap) replacement cables?

The reality is, "cheap" cables will sound roughly the same as your current "cheap" cables on your Shures. It's just a matter of going beyond that "cheap" mark where improvements are very noticeable. Other than that, I can't recommend you any "cheap" cables because at that point i'll be both tricking you and making false recommendations.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 28
I see, thanks for the advice!

But can you link me a cheap cable that has better memory wire or whatever it's called? I remember the cable on my Shure SE215 stayed in the shape I bended it into, but the stock cable that came with my (used) SE315's doesn't stay in shape as well...

Or should I just buy a new stock cable?

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
I see, thanks for the advice!

But can you link me a cheap cable that has better memory wire or whatever it's called? I remember the cable on my Shure SE215 stayed in the shape I bended it into, but the stock cable that came with my (used) SE315's doesn't stay in shape as well...

Or should I just buy a new stock cable?

I thought the SE215 and 315 had the same cables? Not too sure, but it makes sense to use the same cable for the two. I guess the best option is to buy the stock cable again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back