Shure olives removal
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lawonga

New Head-Fier
How does everyone remove theirs? I am getting a pair of W3's to replace my old W2's who had a snapped nozzle (because of my rough hands). Are there any good tips on how to remove them?

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 11
Did you snap your w2 nozzles while trying to remove the shure olives? On my W4's, I had an issue with one pair getting stuck, which i ended up using a knife to carefully cut them off. From then on, I just didn't push the olives all the way to the bottom of the tube. There's still 1-2mm between the IEM and the olives so you can see the stalk a little bit. They've never fallen off, and I've taken them off and put them back on several times with no issues. 

When you first get Shure SE535's, I had a bit of trouble removing the tips, and I recall reading that some people said to put the IEM's in the freezer and it'll make it easier to remove the tips. I was uncomfortable doing this myself, so I didn't, but it might be worth looking into.... although I feel my method works the best. I get a deeper insertion with my way, which I like.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the freezer tip. I'm going to put an olive on my old (non broken) nozzle and stick it in the freezer and try.

Yeah, do a quick search on head-fi for se535 tip removal. Or maybe go into a SE535 appreciation thread and search the thread for "freezer" and I'm sure something will pop up.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 11
Here ya go!

post #1584

Supposedly, the idea was originally presented by shure technical support themselves.

edit: Looking into it some more, you're only supposed to leave the IEM's in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Good luck!

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Are you trying to remove the olives from a pair of Shures, or from a pair of W3's?

If you are trying to remove them from Shures, I've always found that twisting them slightly to the left and to the right while pulling gets them off. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #11 of 11
i just got my own pair for 215s and the method of using your tshirt or cloth to pull it out while twisting it left and right a little works perfectly. I felt uncomfortable putting them in the freezer. So for those who are still struggling, do use this method. It works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back