Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Sep 23, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #5,866 of 6,068
IMG00362_HDR.jpg

Basically my rig, with its isolation, and this quality of sound, man... Everywhere I go.

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #5,868 of 6,068
It's simply because Shure doesn't send products to reviewers really, I'm surprised it only got 400 pages of thread too despite its 6 years age and a mid revision + price cut in that.

And I thought Jude was kinda raving about it a tad too hard too...
It's a one of a kind product that haven't been replicated in its lifetime, sounds amazing, keeping up with times.... Used can be get on quite reasonable price too

But nah... Ended up very underappreciated, I can barely find videos of it on YouTube.
Director's Garage, Jude's and Passion for Sound is the only good ones.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #5,869 of 6,068
It's simply because Shure doesn't send products to reviewers really, I'm surprised it only got 400 pages of thread too despite its 6 years age and a mid revision + price cut in that.

And I thought Jude was kinda raving about it a tad too hard too...
It's a one of a kind product that haven't been replicated in its lifetime, sounds amazing, keeping up with times.... Used can be get on quite reasonable price too

But nah... Ended up very underappreciated, I can barely find videos of it on YouTube.
Director's Garage, Jude's and Passion for Sound is the only good ones.
The amp is what's made the IEM a tough sell for a lot of folks. I've seen this reaction several times when I've recommended the KSE. I can understand this, but sometimes feel like people don't give it enough thought if they could make it work. IMO, the inconvenience of the amp is offset by incredible SQ you get, but gotta remember that that's me. I understand that IEM are meant for portability and the amp knocks on that notably.

I'd hope it's this more than a brand thing, that a brand like Shure couldn't possbily make an IEM that can compete with the highest, because they most certainly did.

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #5,870 of 6,068
The amp requirement is overblown imo seeing as there are many well made and great sounding Bluetooth dac/ amp available with LDAC, just one of them plugged in is enough for them to basically be the best sounding, most isolating Bluetooth iem there can ever be.
Comfortable to use portably as well, (I can never be brave enough to do what I did with my Z1R, that thing's simply too heavy, it carry too much momentum if It ever fell off my Hand)

Most of them have dual volume dial as well, more gradient on setting the right volume before clipping.
And what of the small amp anyway? These days most phones already need a dongle dac to even output sound to a headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #5,871 of 6,068
Hi all, newbie here. This thread and other feedback led me to purchase the KSE 1500. The 1500 sounds good, its detailed as others have emphasized.

Currently I'm running the 1500's, line-out to an RME ADI-2 Pro, low power mode. Are there any 1200/1500 users that are pairing with the RME ADI-2 Pro? The RME is a pro audio unit, the lowest gain is +4dB, unlike consumer gear which starts at -10dB from what I understand. I'd be curious how others set gain stage between the KSE amp and the RME. Also, the RME has 5 PEQ's available, does anyone have a good 5-PEQ setting for the KSE?

I have been applying the Ratory1990 PEQ setting for Shure KSE1500, in Roon. I'm finding that EQ curve to be unnatural and extremely harsh in treble, making a lot of recordings unlistenable, where the highs are pegging out the RME, and there is audible distortion coming through. Because the lowest gain is +4dB coming from the unit, I wonder if this is why the Ratory1990 PEQ setting sound wrong... Is anyone else is using that EQ curve with good results? If not, does anyone have any PEQ settings they would recommend? I think without EQ, but i'm interested to try what others owners like.

Based on recommendations in this thread, i bought the yellow foam tips (i like them), and the Spinfit CP240 M (i find they itch after using them for a while).

I'm not planning on a DAP or portable DAC at the moment, maybe in the future.

I would appreciate analog and digital cable recommendations. Analog for listening through the RME, and digital from the kse to my iphone.

When listening via USB trough two cables (shure to USB female - USB male to lightning). This makes for a flimsy connection and any time i touch the cable (mowing the lawn with my phone and KSE in my pocket), the audio signal gets interrupted, and audio stops often.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #5,872 of 6,068
Hi all, newbie here. This thread and other feedback led me to purchase the KSE 1500. The 1500 sounds good, its detailed as others have emphasized.

Currently I'm running the 1500's, line-out to an RME ADI-2 Pro, low power mode. Are there any 1200/1500 users that are pairing with the RME ADI-2 Pro? The RME is a pro audio unit, the lowest gain is +4dB, unlike consumer gear which starts at -10dB from what I understand. I'd be curious how others set gain stage between the KSE amp and the RME. Also, the RME has 5 PEQ's available, does anyone have a good 5-PEQ setting for the KSE?

I have been applying the Ratory1990 PEQ setting for Shure KSE1500, in Roon. I'm finding that EQ curve to be unnatural and extremely harsh in treble, making a lot of recordings unlistenable, where the highs are pegging out the RME, and there is audible distortion coming through. Because the lowest gain is +4dB coming from the unit, I wonder if this is why the Ratory1990 PEQ setting sound wrong... Is anyone else is using that EQ curve with good results? If not, does anyone have any PEQ settings they would recommend? I think without EQ, but i'm interested to try what others owners like.

Based on recommendations in this thread, i bought the yellow foam tips (i like them), and the Spinfit CP240 M (i find they itch after using them for a while).

I would appreciate analog and digital cable recommendations. Analog for listening through the RME, and digital from the kse to my iphone.

When listening via USB trough two cables (shure to USB female - USB male to lightning). This makes for a flimsy connection and any time i touch the cable (mowing the lawn with my phone and KSE in my pocket), the audio signal gets interrupted, and audio stops often.
I use the IEM output on my battery powered portable DAC with the volume set about midway for the green light on the KSE to stay solid for the most part.
I think having everything battery powered everything is good for the noise floor.

Also, I think using the KSE1200 while mowing is kind of like driving a racecar on the street at 20mph. I think a much less expensive IEM (with possibly an attenuation adapter) would be better suited to use while mowing. Something with extra bass to compensate for the extra background noise would probably be the ticket.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #5,873 of 6,068
I use the IEM output on my battery powered portable DAC with the volume set about midway for the green light on the KSE to stay solid for the most part.
I think having everything battery powered everything is good for the noise floor.

Also, I think using the KSE1200 while mowing is kind of like driving a racecar on the street at 20mph. I think a much less expensive IEM (with possibly an attenuation adapter) would be better suited to use while mowing. Something with extra bass to compensate for the extra background noise would probably be the ticket.
thanks willd3.

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #5,874 of 6,068
Exactly. I feel like the KSE have gotten a lot of flak on their bass, but the quality of it really is outstanding.

When I moved up from my SE846, at first I thought I was sacrificing bass. But the more I listened I realized how much better quality the KSE was.
Eh. there is not enough time for everyone to explain ... I'm just surprised.
This is because you were sitting on filters with caps and foams inside and using a portable DAC, I guess.
Put a white filter on the se846, be sure to remove the cap from it and put on the standard, always tight sleeves foam on the nozzle. Never use silicone! And most importantly, connect it to a professional audio interface. And you will probably hear that it sounds better and more correct than KSE in all respects.
I compared it earlier in this way one to one and I know that

Sep 25, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #5,875 of 6,068

I own both the RME ADI-2 Pro and the KSE 1200 but never the Twain have met. I need to try this combo for sure. The kse are attached to the lotoo paw gold and the adi-2 is attached to my beyer t1.2 or akg k812.

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #5,876 of 6,068
Eh. there is not enough time for everyone to explain ... I'm just surprised.
This is because you were sitting on filters with caps and foams inside and using a portable DAC, I guess.
Put a white filter on the se846, be sure to remove the cap from it and put on the standard, always tight sleeves foam on the nozzle. Never use silicone! And most importantly, connect it to a professional audio interface. And you will probably hear that it sounds better and more correct than KSE in all respects.
I compared it earlier in this way one to one and I know that
Wait…what?

I own and like the SE846. Have modded filter as mentioned. I would say the SE846 outshines the KSE1500 in zero areas. They just outclass the SE846 in all aspects. I still keep the SE846 in my man-purse in case I find myself out and about and forget to take along something to listen to.

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #5,877 of 6,068
Wait…what?

I own and like the SE846. Have modded filter as mentioned. I would say the SE846 outshines the KSE1500 in zero areas. They just outclass the SE846 in all aspects. I still keep the SE846 in my man-purse in case I find myself out and about and forget to take along something to listen to.
KSE1500 - not suitable for professional work, for monitoring and recording sound, in order to hear what is actually from the microphones. And recorded audio. And this is the main point. The fact that they can be for someone, play "beautiful music" is not an advantage, but a minus, since it does not give a correct understanding of what you are listening to.
While se846 - gives the sound as it is. Under the condition that a modification was made as I wrote above. I'm not sure if you read this carefully and did the same modification while listening to it on a professional audio interface.

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #5,878 of 6,068
KSE1500 - not suitable for professional work, for monitoring and recording sound, in order to hear what is actually from the microphones. And recorded audio. And this is the main point. The fact that they can be for someone, play "beautiful music" is not an advantage, but a minus, since it does not give a correct understanding of what you are listening to.
While se846 - gives the sound as it is. Under the condition that a modification was made as I wrote above. I'm not sure if you read this carefully and did the same modification while listening to it on a professional audio interface.
So basically.music is produced on superior equipment so that it can be distributed and played back on inferior equipment?

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #5,880 of 6,068
I was sure the 846 is actually the most consumer oriented one out of Shure's catalogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back