Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Feb 13, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #5,701 of 6,067
Yes the bass is very good, it usually surprises most new owners as most assume that being an electrostatic it should be bass light.

It used to be my best IEM until I got the ie900, IMHO the ie900 beats it in most if not all areas.

Can you please share your experience with ie900 and compare it to 1200/1500 in more detail? Thank :)

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #5,702 of 6,067
Will the KSE1200 work with a Topping E50 and an RCA to 3.5mm cable? I read something about a signal strength LED, which has me worried I'd need something with a volume adjustment on it. I have an L50 as well, but would prefer to not add an unnecessary amp in the middle of the chain.
Late reply, but I'm currently using the KSE1200 with an RCA to 3.5mm cable and its working with a green input light. I forgot the E50 has a preamp mode with adjustable volume on it. I'm currently using the -10db pad on the KSE1200 with the E50's volume set to -4.5db. It only lets you do half dbs under 10, hence the padding. The padding off and volume at -14 was giving red lights on the input occasionally, and -15 was occasionally turning off the input light. I still very occasionally have the input light turn off this way but I haven't heard anything that sounded off about it yet.

A side note, the detail on these things is incredible. I keep A/B testing with my SE846 and songs sound muddy now through them. The KSE1200 is definitely a little bright, but it hasn't sounded sibilant at all.

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #5,703 of 6,067
Yes the bass is very good, it usually surprises most new owners as most assume that being an electrostatic it should be bass light.

It used to be my best IEM until I got the ie900, IMHO the ie900 beats it in most if not all areas.
Currently own a KSE1200 but it has a custom portable amplifier and got an IE900 (Germany) a month ago.

I think the IE900 is more tonally correct, but it's quite a bit behind technically - and that's saying something because the IE900 is one of the better technical performers of any iem's ever. It's just that the Shure is the absolute industry benchmark for technical ability.

I also own MEST Indigo, Odin, Z1R, MEST OG & IER-M9. I think IE900 comes in 3rd here, which is amazing considering the low cost.
Can you please share your experience with ie900 and compare it to 1200/1500 in more detail? Thank :)
IE900 tunings is a tastefully V-shape with aggressive traits sometimes a bit sharp if using the wrong tips/ source, but generally just a very realistic presentation with good texture, fantastic dynamics with a spacious stage with great depth.

KSE1200 is so much more effortless, the driver's calibre is on another level. It picks out plankton, texture and does timbre better, even despite the plasticky upper mids. The Shure KSE's main issues is frequency response and the only "good not great" macro dynamics. The KSE pairs amazing with music that is slower pace, or involves real instruments, voices, acoustics and strings, etc. It's not quite as fun for rocking out or for EDM with deep bass (you can get some clipping easily if not able to manage your source dB.

As an overall product, the IE900 is probably one of the best buys you can make and works with anything very well. If you've committed yourself to high quality source gear and know how to manage the clipping, and have the option to EQ - the Shure KSE is even better than my MEST Indigo, Z1R or Odin (as well as other very impressive iem's i've experienced like Trailli, EVO, Elysian Annhilator, Tia Fourte, U12T, VE8, Elysium, etc).

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 16, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #5,704 of 6,067
Currently own a KSE1200 but it has a custom portable amplifier and got an IE900 (Germany) a month ago.

I think the IE900 is more tonally correct, but it's quite a bit behind technically - and that's saying something because the IE900 is one of the better technical performers of any iem's ever. It's just that the Shure is the absolute industry benchmark for technical ability.

I also own MEST Indigo, Odin, Z1R, MEST OG & IER-M9. I think IE900 comes in 3rd here, which is amazing considering the low cost.

IE900 tunings is a tastefully V-shape with aggressive traits sometimes a bit sharp if using the wrong tips/ source, but generally just a very realistic presentation with good texture, fantastic dynamics with a spacious stage with great depth.

KSE1200 is so much more effortless, the driver's calibre is on another level. It picks out plankton, texture and does timbre better, even despite the plasticky upper mids. The Shure KSE's main issues is frequency response and the only "good not great" macro dynamics. The KSE pairs amazing with music that is slower pace, or involves real instruments, voices, acoustics and strings, etc. It's not quite as fun for rocking out or for EDM with deep bass (you can get some clipping easily if not able to manage your source dB.

As an overall product, the IE900 is probably one of the best buys you can make and works with anything very well. If you've committed yourself to high quality source gear and know how to manage the clipping, and have the option to EQ - the Shure KSE is even better than my MEST Indigo, Z1R or Odin (as well as other very impressive iem's i've experienced like Trailli, EVO, Elysian Annhilator, Tia Fourte, U12T, VE8, Elysium, etc).
I own the ier z1r, a8000. Lx, elysium, ie900 and the kse1200. The kse would be my number one. Looking at that I need to sell some iems as I still want to try the u12t!

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #5,705 of 6,067
Have to agree on the EQ. I use oratory1990's eq and tip rolled until I found what works best for me. The KSE1200 are phenomenal. I got the U12T recently and so far they are a much more portable and completely inoffensive alternative but not an equal.

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #5,706 of 6,067
I wonder if Shure has any flagship stuff coming up: the SE846 & KSE1200/1500 has not been updated in a long long time.

My wish is someone bringing the sound quality of the KSE series (or the LCDi4s) and make it into regular IEMs without the need of energizers or DSP correction.

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #5,707 of 6,067
I think I may as well sell some of my other iems. These kse1200 I’m wearing some amazing headphones the way they produce the sound. If you get the correct seal then the bass is awesome too. I’ve been using them with most genres for a week now and they sound fantastic with everything

Feb 18, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #5,708 of 6,067
I think I may as well sell some of my other iems. These kse1200 I’m wearing some amazing headphones the way they produce the sound. If you get the correct seal then the bass is awesome too. I’ve been using them with most genres for a week now and they sound fantastic with everything
You may find it even better with EQ.
If your dap is an AK, forget it.
Just use one of following
1.Neutron auto eq
2.Wavelet auto eq
3.UAPP manual eq (peq)

No2 is system-like app.
No3 if you can tune by yourself ok. If you feel hard, search Datasheet of autoeq on the web of Wavelet's owner.
Find it and input to UAPP

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #5,709 of 6,067
Anyone know how the 1500's battery charging work? I mostly use it in USB mode when using PC. 1500 will keep charging continuously which I always manually turn off the charging function (in the utility setting) when fully charged to protect the battery from being overcharged. Not sure it is smartly designed to automatically cut off the charging once fully charged or not.

Also, have you guys ever replaced the battery? Is it doable? for how much?

Thank you.

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #5,710 of 6,067
Anyone know how the 1500's battery charging work? I mostly use it in USB mode when using PC. 1500 will keep charging continuously which I always manually turn off the charging function (in the utility setting) when fully charged to protect the battery from being overcharged. Not sure it is smartly designed to automatically cut off the charging once fully charged or not.

Also, have you guys ever replaced the battery? Is it doable? for how much?

Thank you.
I have the KSE1200 and always use it unplugged or not charging, due to possible electrical noise issues. When I plug it in after I'm done listening it goes from orange light to green light once it's charged, so the KSE1200 is smart and knows when it's charged.

I've sent my KSE1200 in for service a few times (board issues), and so if you want the battery changed, I'd go to the Shure service website and request service, and then you should be able to send it in for a battery replacement. Expect about a month from sending it in to getting it back.

Mar 1, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #5,711 of 6,067
I have the KSE1200 and always use it unplugged or not charging, due to possible electrical noise issues. When I plug it in after I'm done listening it goes from orange light to green light once it's charged, so the KSE1200 is smart and knows when it's charged.

I've sent my KSE1200 in for service a few times (board issues), and so if you want the battery changed, I'd go to the Shure service website and request service, and then you should be able to send it in for a battery replacement. Expect about a month from sending it in to getting it back.

Thank you for your reply. For 1200, you will get the analog signal from the source which charging (while listening) is not necessary. However, for my 1500 with "USB mode", I need to connect it to PC via usb cable which will automatically charge the battery. I know using Line mode gives better SQ, but sometimes it's more convenient for me with USB mode. That's why I worry about the charging while playing and wondering should I manually disable the charge function every time it's connected to PC.

But thank you for your comment anyway :)

btw, do you know the cost of battery replacement with Shure official service?

Mar 1, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #5,712 of 6,067
If you get the correct seal then the bass is awesome too.
I've noticed resolution in some bass lines where in the past I thought it was just a constant hum of bass, but with the KSE1200 I'm hearing the texture of the bass, where it's so crisp that you can almost hear silence in between the bass impulses.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #5,713 of 6,067
Thank you for your reply. For 1200, you will get the analog signal from the source which charging (while listening) is not necessary. However, for my 1500 with "USB mode", I need to connect it to PC via usb cable which will automatically charge the battery. I know using Line mode gives better SQ, but sometimes it's more convenient for me with USB mode. That's why I worry about the charging while playing and wondering should I manually disable the charge function every time it's connected to PC.

But thank you for your comment anyway :)

btw, do you know the cost of battery replacement with Shure official service?
I would definitely disable charging while listening.
I'm not sure on the cost of the battery replacement, but the Shure service website is pretty easy to deal with. I'm guessing if you sent an email they'd let you know on the cost. I'd assume it's pretty reasonable cost. Good luck. 🙂

Mar 1, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #5,714 of 6,067
I would definitely disable charging while listening.
I'm not sure on the cost of the battery replacement, but the Shure service website is pretty easy to deal with. I'm guessing if you sent an email they'd let you know on the cost. I'd assume it's pretty reasonable cost. Good luck. 🙂

Yup, I will hit them up. Thanks for the headup :)

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #5,715 of 6,067
Hi !
Finally, I put everything together and I can say that I already have electrostatic IEM Shure!
There are only a dozen or so minutes of auscultation behind me, but I can say one thing - the sound is stunning! It cannot be described!
In the pictures of the headphones with my ribbon cable, lemo plug (it's smaller than stax so better for listening on the go, I also made a makeshift stax-shure adapter, just any old neutrik plug - I have some :). In the last photo, my listening place - bed :)

Attachments

• IMG-3439.JPG
    IMG-3439.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3442.JPG
    IMG-3442.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3441.JPG
    IMG-3441.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3440.JPG
    IMG-3440.JPG