Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Aug 1, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #5,581 of 6,059
Initial impressions of the spin fit cp800 compared to the comply tsx-100. More accurate soundstage, instruments seem to lock into place with the spin fits. Slightly brighter sounding than comply’s, the base seems leaner but present and clear. Still investigating this as I’m not sure whether the base is actually leaner or whether it is the brighter sound that makes it appear so.

isolation of the comply’s is noticeably superior

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #5,582 of 6,059
Initial impressions of the spin fit cp800 compared to the comply tsx-100. More accurate soundstage, instruments seem to lock into place with the spin fits. Slightly brighter sounding than comply’s, the base seems leaner but present and clear. Still investigating this as I’m not sure whether the base is actually leaner or whether it is the brighter sound that makes it appear so.

isolation of the comply’s is noticeably superior
Have you tried the CP240s? Once I found them a couple years ago I never looked back. My fit is right between the M and L, but I chose the Ms for overall comfort. If I give them a good twist while opening my jaw a bit I can get great iso and fantastic comfort for a double flange.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #5,583 of 6,059
Have you tried the CP240s? Once I found them a couple years ago I never looked back. My fit is right between the M and L, but I chose the Ms for overall comfort. If I give them a good twist while opening my jaw a bit I can get great iso and fantastic comfort for a double flange.
To be honest I haven’t…….yet! 🤣

I wanted to try the single flange first to get a general idea of the sound signature and also because from what I read the 240s are pretty “penetrative” and can feel a little weird (but less so than a triple flange) and the initial reason I went for foams in general and comply’s in particular was the comfort and fit, but yes, definitely thinking about trying them even though isolation is not “that” high on my list of priorities (unless I’m flying and I haven’t done that in quite a while). the more I listen to the spin fits the more I appreciate the sound so possibly having the double flange could be a bonus in certain environments and will definitely give them a try.

Genuinely thought I had found my personal nirvana with the comply’s (and I still think they are a tad more comfortable than the spit fits) but I have to say that the spin fits are doing it for me even more tbh and the fact that they apparently have a longer life span is just the icing on the cake.

i have been listening to tracks and paying particular attention to the bass and frankly it’s not actually leaner as I first though, it just feels that way when coming straight off the comply’s. It sounds just as deep but tighter and more detailed/layered, slightly less boomy which is why it sounds leaner at first.

Just wow frankly, it’s that “rediscovering your music collection” sensation all over again.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #5,584 of 6,059
i have been listening to tracks and paying particular attention to the bass and frankly it’s not actually leaner as I first though, it just feels that way when coming straight off the comply’s. It sounds just as deep but tighter and more detailed/layered, slightly less boomy which is why it sounds leaner at first.

FWIW, I've eq'ed them to Harman, or something Harman'esque for nearly my entire time owning these (using Roon PEQ on my laptop or a Qedelix-5k). The white line is the correction below.

You can see the midbass has a cut relative to the sub-bass. I've mentioned EQ'ing these a few times in the past and most folks say that's heresay, but it's a dramatic improvement to my ears. Like most e-stats the raw frequency curve is objectively wonky, pretty far off from any type of preference plot, *esp* the upper mids/lower treble area. Yes, they're incredibly detailed/fast/low distortion so they sound great on many types of music, but also leave something to be desired with others. With this correction they sound awesome on anything to my ears, but I also happen to really like Harman w/ other things as well.

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 9.59.32 AM.png

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #5,585 of 6,059
FWIW, I've eq'ed them to Harman, or something Harman'esque for nearly my entire time owning these (using Roon PEQ on my laptop or a Qedelix-5k). The white line is the correction below.

You can see the midbass has a cut relative to the sub-bass. I've mentioned EQ'ing these a few times in the past and most folks say that's heresay, but it's a dramatic improvement to my ears. Like most e-stats the raw frequency curve is objectively wonky, pretty far off from any type of preference plot, *esp* the upper mids/lower treble area. Yes, they're incredibly detailed/fast/low distortion so they sound great on many types of music, but also leave something to be desired with others. With this correction they sound awesome on anything to my ears, but I also happen to really like Harman w/ other things as well.

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 9.59.32 AM.png
I’m honestly more empirical. If it sounds right to me and compared to my other headphones then I’m good 🤣

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #5,586 of 6,059
I’m honestly more empirical. If it sounds right to me and compared to my other headphones then I’m go

Then why try to tune the sound w/ ear tips, which really should be for ergonomics? It's like trying to kill an elephant with pellet gun. Yes, they do have a minor impact as shown in measurements earlier in this thread, but we're talking a decible here or there, and not necessarily to the positive. The raw sound of these is nothing like any other I headphone recall owning, but they get a pass because they're so technically adept.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #5,587 of 6,059
Then why try to tune the sound w/ ear tips, which really should be for ergonomics? It's like trying to kill an elephant with a pellet gun. Alright, spent enough time on head-fi for this year, back over to ASR for me
I’m not “trying” to do anything but If I notice that changing an integral part of the IEM actually modifies the sound signature (regardless of what it “should” be for) to an SS I prefer I would be stupid not to do so.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #5,588 of 6,059
So anyway (as they say) Head fi has confirmed it is deleting my account (my own request) and as this is one of the last very few threads I have remained on I just wanted to say goodbye to those (nice ones) of you that have accompanied me on here in these past years. Happy listening to everyone.

Aug 9, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #5,589 of 6,059
So anyway (as they say) Head fi has confirmed it is deleting my account (my own request) and as this is one of the last very few threads I have remained on I just wanted to say goodbye to those (nice ones) of you that have accompanied me on here in these past years. Happy listening to everyone.
Why you leaving?

Aug 9, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #5,591 of 6,059
Too many arguments 🤣
I left once for the same reason but came back with a different user ID. I try not to let those types wind me up too much these days but they sometimes do still manage it. Better to unsubscribe from that particular thread, take ten deep breaths and carry on.

You will save money by leaving though. :)

Aug 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #5,592 of 6,059
I left once for the same reason but came back with a different user ID. I try not to let those types wind me up too much these days but they sometimes do still manage it. Better to unsubscribe from that particular thread, take ten deep breaths and carry on.

You will save money by leaving though. :)
I just can’t help intervening when people write something really blatantly and often technically incorrect and even though I always try and be polite about it (unless it’s just a tr*oll) and justify my comments or try to reason, most people just don’t get it and it ends up turning ugly so frankly it’s time I just left and lurked occasionally as a guest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back