Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Aug 2, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #5,148 of 6,066
Hi. Am considering KSE 1200 or Z1R or Elysium or Andro2020. Coming from all-BA A12t and BA+DD+EST MEST and wouldn't want similar sounding IEM. Any signature that is not too tweaked away from musician's intention is my fun. I do like a bit of sub bass emphasis, though. Not a big basshead or treble lover. Sure love a wide soundstage and great resolution. Small to medium sized ears. Pop, folk, country, movie sound tracks. Wondering what might be working against KSE 1200 in my use case scenario...

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #5,149 of 6,066
Hi. Am considering KSE 1200 or Z1R or Elysium or Andro2020. Coming from all-BA A12t and BA+DD+EST MEST and wouldn't want similar sounding IEM. Any signature that is not too tweaked away from musician's intention is my fun. I do like a bit of sub bass emphasis, though. Not a big basshead or treble lover. Sure love a wide soundstage and great resolution. Small to medium sized ears. Pop, folk, country, movie sound tracks. Wondering what might be working against KSE 1200 in my use case scenario...

Absolutely nothing, so long as you're okay with the fact that the KSE requires its own amp. Also, I'd call the soundstage good, but not amazing -- it's possible that the Z1R might be better in that regard for example (I can't recall from my listening test). I doubt anything will match the KSE for resolution and for its amazingly neutral sound signature. I'm the same, I want music to sound as it was recorded, and with the KSE everything just sounds exactly right.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #5,150 of 6,066
I need to part ways with a like new KSE1500 with less than 30 hours, and warranty until February 2022. Covid has been tough for me

pm if interested:)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 2, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #5,151 of 6,066
Absolutely nothing, so long as you're okay with the fact that the KSE requires its own amp. Also, I'd call the soundstage good, but not amazing -- it's possible that the Z1R might be better in that regard for example (I can't recall from my listening test). I doubt anything will match the KSE for resolution and for its amazingly neutral sound signature. I'm the same, I want music to sound as it was recorded, and with the KSE everything just sounds exactly right.

The Z1R is better soundstage-wise, there's no question about that. But other than that, the KSE trumps it.

MRT-Man is on point. If you want closest to the recording, KSE is it. You'll understand what resolution and transparency mean when you hear it.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #5,153 of 6,066
Every interconnect I use with my KSE1200 has a slight slant. Some are more tilted than others. Is this normal?

If you mean the the plug comes out of the jack on slight angle, Ive noticed that on my unit as well. Its angled slightly away from the LEMO connector toward the volume knob. I've seen some photos on this thread of other units with the same thing, so maybe its normal.

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #5,154 of 6,066
If you mean the the plug comes out of the jack on slight angle, Ive noticed that on my unit as well. Its angled slightly away from the LEMO connector toward the volume knob. I've seen some photos on this thread of other units with the same thing, so maybe its normal.
Yep. It angles away from the LEMO connector. It bothered me more than it should, but I'm glad to know that its normal.

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #5,156 of 6,066
How important is the source for a KSE1200? Beyond a certain level.

Presently I use the Fiio M11 with my KSE1200.
I wonder, would the Fiio M15 give a noticeably/much better result?
The DAC's are better. It will come down to your files. FLAC? WAVE? MP3...........

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #5,157 of 6,066
The KSE translates w/e performance the DAC gives. So it's really a question on if you believe in the improvements of DAC's or not.

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #5,160 of 6,066
I've started reading this thread, but it's just too long to uncover the information I need. Is anyone using a Bluetooth receiving DAC/Amp with the KSA1200?

I would like to stream music from my LG V50 using Bluetooth to a good-sounding, clean DAC/amp connected to the KSA1200.

Or would it just be better to connect my LG V50 directly to the KSA1200? I should be receiving the KSE1200 system in a week or two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back