Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #5,071 of 6,068
Am I crazy or do the bass on these sound like a dynamic driver? I boosted the bass slightly with an EQ and that's what I hear. What the heck? I don't get the people who are calling these bass light? I am using the stock silicon tips with smaller bores.

I'd see basslight as a misclassification, yes. To me they produce a wonderful low end, with structure and details. They may have limits in excursion, but since I neither use EQ nor extreme output levels, I've never had the feeling of missing out.
To me the bass is cleaner than with the DD drivers I know, but it has more in common with dynamic drivers than with BA bass (which, to me, sounds rather lifeless except for the SE846). Which is why I generally prefer hybrid in-ears like the N8 for mobile use, where the additional amp, cables and overall handling of the KSE1500 are too much hassle to me, given the louder surroundings.

What makes the KSE1500 really stand out for me is the combination of exceptional sound quality, where I don't see any compromise, and portability: I can take this sound with me to a cafe for work or on vacation / business travel. What an accomplishment.

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #5,072 of 6,068
I'd see basslight as a misclassification, yes. To me they produce a wonderful low end, with structure and details. They may have limits in excursion, but since I neither use EQ nor extreme output levels, I've never had the feeling of missing out.
To me the bass is cleaner than with the DD drivers I know, but it has more in common with dynamic drivers than with BA bass (which, to me, sounds rather lifeless except for the SE846). Which is why I generally prefer hybrid in-ears like the N8 for mobile use, where the additional amp, cables and overall handling of the KSE1500 are too much hassle to me, given the louder surroundings.

What makes the KSE1500 really stand out for me is the combination of exceptional sound quality, where I don't see any compromise, and portability: I can take this sound with me to a cafe for work or on vacation / business travel. What an accomplishment.
Totally agree with every word !

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #5,074 of 6,068
I never knew an earphone/headphone so smooth can sound so detailed.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #5,075 of 6,068
Has anyone paired the KSE1200's with the Chord Mojos? How do the Chord Mojo's sound with the KSE1200's? Warmer/bassier? Colder/analytical?

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #5,077 of 6,068
Has anyone paired the KSE1200's with the Chord Mojos? How do the Chord Mojo's sound with the KSE1200's? Warmer/bassier? Colder/analytical?

Compared to what? Mojo is warmer and thick but still very clean and with very impressive resolution. The downsides are that because it's so thick it's not all that detailed. The soundstage is narrow so it feels intimate. The upper treble is also not what i would call clean. It's good for what it is and it pairs well with the KSE.

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #5,078 of 6,068
good for what it is?The mojo is a fantastic DAC that punches way above its price...the HUGO2 is better but the mojo is outstanding

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #5,079 of 6,068
I dont own any Chord stuff - but have many others... the best pair in my opinion is QA361 - HUGE stage (and frontal) , dynamics, clarity and more...

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-19 at 19.20.44.jpeg

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #5,080 of 6,068
good for what it is?The mojo is a fantastic DAC that punches way above its price...the HUGO2 is better but the mojo is outstanding

Or you could just spend $40 and get this which measures similar to the Hugo2/Qutest, punching WAAAYYYY above its price. Heck, it beats out a Benchmark DAC 3.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084YX4MZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's just a rebranded version of the dongle found here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dizs-s8-usb-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/

"Wow, are you seeing what I am seeing? SINAD (distortion+noise relative to our signal) of 114 dB? This is excellent for a desktop DAC let alone one that is the size of a few grains of rice... As noted, we are talking totally inaudible distortion at less than -120 dB! This is a stunning achievement... Dynamic range was again near top of the class for desktop products @ 122 dB, I think the best I have ever measured of any device is 126 dB or so!...Jitter is by far cleaner than any dongle I have tested"

"What a pleasant surprise the HIDIZS S8 is. Sometimes you want the best and the best is delivered here with S8. It produces vanishingly low distortion and excellent dynamic range. Even at max volume, there is no clipping so what you hear is as transparent as it can get. Yet, it is delivered in a tiny little package that won't weigh down your pocket or phone."

Above written by a former Microsoft VP and an expert in digital signal processing.

114 SINAD, same as latest Qutest. Mojo is @ 102. The full chart: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_DAC_Performance_Index/

As a Mojo owner for many years, this is audibly quite a bit better. Heck, with a Harman correction applied to KSE (through Roon w/ exclusive mode), this is possibly the best rig I've ever heard, certainly owned.

Attachments

• dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #5,081 of 6,068
measurements in audio gear are completely overrated...things such as power do matter because certain HP's or speakers require certain minimum power but in terms of how things sound I find measurements a terrible way to judge...some of the best measuring audio has to my ears been among the worst sounding and vice versa

Jun 21, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #5,082 of 6,068
measurements in audio gear are completely overrated...things such as power do matter because certain HP's or speakers require certain minimum power but in terms of how things sound I find measurements a terrible way to judge...some of the best measuring audio has to my ears been among the worst sounding and vice versa

We're talking about a DAC - it's literally verifiable scientifically how well it converts digital to analog, it really comes down to what you measure and how well you measure it to verify it. You're not supposed to tune it by ear. In the analog realm, fine, if you're into tube amps and prefer harmonically pleasing distortion I feel ya... but we are talking about in-ear electrostats - I'm thinking people would prefer the most transparent, lowest distortion source possible. This is pretty dang good in that regard. Read the review. Or don't.

The fella above is not some maverick like nvaguy hiding in the shadows. He ran a team of 1000 engineers @ Microsoft for the better part of a decade. The equipment he uses to do these measurements is well into the five figures.

And I have both of these units, in my possession at this moment in time, and there is no question that this $40 DAC absolutely wipes the floor with the Mojo, full stop. The whole "there is a veil that has been lifted" quality applies here. Esp. apparent with the KSE, but even readily apparent with my Andromedas.

Final thought - you have what, $30k of equipment in your sig? Why not splurge the $40 and find out for yourself if it holds its own with the Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #5,083 of 6,068

As a DAC It's not better than similarly priced daps which offer way more functionality. I'm not saying that it's bad but kinda overhyped. It's very small and has powerful and clean 3,5mm output but judging by sonic performance you can do better for less even. Hugo2 is stunning but it's also completely different than Mojo. Way colder, way more technical and so clean that's almost too clean. Something between hugo2 and mojo would be great. Hugo2 is technically better than Astell SP2000 and Cayin N8 but both of them are more musical, forgiving and enjoyable to be honest.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #5,085 of 6,068
1 hour in on KSE1200 (MojoPoly paired) + Tidal/Roon/Master (Pop/EDM)

• More bass than expected... (phew, as was my worry)
  • ... even sub bass rumble!
  • Tips are make or break for sound. Foamies (med) for me. No surprise same for me with SE846 and CFA Atlas
  • so much more detail, clarity, and balance
  • had high expectations and meeting them already
  • Needed to reduce default "line level" setting on Mojo to prevent red LED
  • Do wish there was a protective case for the amp like 1500s
VERY PLEASED

Users who are viewing this thread

Back