Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 19, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #3,331 of 6,081
Comparing cases 1 & 3 via a proper (i.e., reasonably rapid) A/B switch requires an SPL meter and (ideally) two identical KSE1500s. It's not an easy test to get right..

No, its so easy with 1 kse unit. Fast switching itshelf line in togle

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #3,333 of 6,081
I bought my KSE1500s a couple of months ago after reading this entire forum. Even so I was not prepared for what a remarkable piece of equipment Shure has produced. They are remarkable of a staggering amount of detail representation, have a huge deep bass and the sweetest extended treble. They are lightening fast and completely free of bloom throughout the frequency range. The only thing that I did not hear that most owners report was the small soundstage. I have never really heard the soundstage extend behind me, even though I listen to them every day I still find myself looking behind me to see who is coming in when it is in the recording. I think the profound sense of separation expands the perceived soundstage.

The only thing I would say is that they resolve way beyond the range of the inbuilt DAC. Apart from the fact that my unit gives constant crackles with my iPhone X and iMac 5K I started listening through my Mojo-Poly and then Hugo 2. I now use them at my desk with a Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone LPS1 into the Hugo2 into the KSE1500. I have never heard so much detail even in live concerts. But moreover, the Hugo gives such a sense of rhythm, I just find it so hard to turn off even when I am testing combinations. It just puts such fun and life into everything it plays. The stats are so good that they deserve something better than the built in DAC. It is not a bad DAC, and certainly more agreeable than any of the Naim DACs I have ever owned, but it just does not portray the sense of animus I get with the Chord products.

All my testing is done using blind A-B and I have to be able consistently to choose a favourite in order for me to conclude it is better. This is not double blind, but also I do not have to work to identify which is which.

Interestingly, I have never found any sound deterioration using the built in EQ, in fact it is quite remarkable how well it does here. However, in my listening I prefer the sound flat so I disable it.

I have already taken my KSE1500 back to Shure once to resolve the crackling (that they instantly heard) and they gave me a new USB cable but it is just as bad. So for me at this time I do not have an option but at home even if I resolved it I would still listen via the Hugo 2.

By the way, Shure are a wonderful company to deal with and I will go back to them to have another crack at my unit.

Great post! BTW, I also prefer the Hugo 2 as a DAC, but like you, I also find surprisingly little deterioration in turning on the EQ - especially a flat EQ. It's almost as if the ADC and DAC steps are the perfect inverse of one another, so that any error cancels out. This is just wild speculation...

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #3,335 of 6,081
I'll recommend use an external DAC for best results.I ve got the chord Hugo 2. It's fantastic with shure KSE1500

I confirm the need for an external DAC.

A&K SP1000 > line in > KSE1500 sound wonderful.

And with the KSE1500 I recommend the SP1000 SS rather than the CU version (IMO). The KSE bring the sweetness and the SS the details ( with my friend, we intensively, several time, tried booth, SS and Cu with the KSE1500). SP1000 SS + KSE1500 = Wonderful synergy, expecialy with a CU+Silver cable...

IMG_0341.jpg survival kit 0.jpg

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #3,336 of 6,081
Thanks your assessment, I've been very interested to know whether the Cu or SS would be a better match for the KSE (since I'm unlikely to get to try both, prior to making my choice). I actually would have thought that the warmth of the Cu would be a better match for the pristine clarity of the KSE. But I'll take your word for it.

What interconnect cable are you using, in the photo above?

By the way, you're braver than I am, with respect to storing your KSE1500 in the tiny Shure case. I keep mine in a small Pelican case as I think that does a better job of keeping the cable from getting kinked (which it's prone to do) and as I suspect it might be better for the cable's longevity.

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #3,338 of 6,081
The cable that I use now is from Labkable: it is their 8wires Pandora Jumper. I ordered custom lenght of 12 cm

Labkable.png

Jan 21, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #3,339 of 6,081
So after around 100hrs of listening without explicit burn-in time I'm very glad that any trace of sibilance has disappeared. Cocteau Twins for example sounded pretty harsh initially but now are just pure bliss (god I love the CTs). Also I'm really liking the tri-flange tips on the kse1500 which I never really did with any IEM before.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #3,340 of 6,081
Since I have bought the Symbio "hybrid" Eartips (Silicons with foam inside) my eartips search is over !

With the Symbio, sometime I even prefer to use my KSE1500 rather than my full size HE-X or TH900 ! (only my Stax SR009 + BHSE combo beat the SHURE .. by a marge margin ).

I just had to use a small tube adapter to increase the diameter of the Shure to match the Symbio ( internal diameter "size N" )

Great idea! Could you please share more details how/where you got tube adpaters?

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #3,341 of 6,081
The Symbio W "wide bore" has bore diameter of 4.5mm
The Symbio N "normal bore" has bore diameter 3.8mm

there are 3 size for each version: S, N, L. I ordered booth N & L and finally use L

And yes, it is silicon outside with foam inside

see: https://www.facebook.com/MandarinEsFoam/

Just received mine. Sorry for offtop, but all size parameters are below, maybe will be helpful for others (provided by EU distributor):

Diameter x Height (in mm)
Symbio N: L-13x10, M-12x10, S-11x9. Bore diameter 3.8mm.

Diameter x Height (in mm)
Symbio W: L-13.5x9.5, M-12x9, S-10.5x9. Bore diameter 4.5mm

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #3,342 of 6,081
Price of KSE 1500 dropped to $2499 recently, tempted...

That sounds encouraging. Do tell - from what vendor have you found KSE1500 for $2499?

I've been considering the KSE1500 for awhile as an upgrade to what I have, which I love*, for coffee house work sessions and such.

Only hesitations about the KSE1500s, other than the price, are few, and not at all huge:

1. Microphonic nature of the cabling - I had this with a set of earbuds some years ago that were quite good - custom-sleeved Etymotics ER4s. The only knocks against the Etymotics were the microphonic noise every time you brushed the cabling, and durability. Fortunately, customer service was consistently excellent.

2. Durability of the cabling - have read here that there's some kinkiness afoot. Let me rephrase that. The cable can kink and therefore be susceptible to breakage. I have heard that Shure customer service is also excellent, but I don't really want to find out, iykwim.

3. One last concern is buying 2- to 3-year old product when there might be a new version/upgrade/model coming (no idea, of course). While that has nothing to do with *this* product, and while per your post it just got $500 more attractive, it remains a concern from a residual value perspective.

The pros of the KSE1500 (accuracy and evidently a moderate degree of isolation) in my mind well outweigh the cons.

* Currently, my EDA (every day audio) are Oppo PM-3, Oppo HA-2SE - connected with equally impressive Silver Dragon cables, thanks to Drew's patient tutelage at Moon Audio. Only thing is there's no noise isolation from the Oppo PM-3 to speak of, and I tend to work in noisier environments these days. Will hate to part with these if I do get the KSE1500, but I've only got one head.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #3,343 of 6,081
That sounds encouraging. Do tell - from what vendor have you found KSE1500 for $2499?

I've been considering the KSE1500 for awhile as an upgrade to what I have, which I love*, for coffee house work sessions and such.

Only hesitations about the KSE1500s, other than the price, are few, and not at all huge:

1. Microphonic nature of the cabling - I had this with a set of earbuds some years ago that were quite good - custom-sleeved Etymotics ER4s. The only knocks against the Etymotics were the microphonic noise every time you brushed the cabling, and durability. Fortunately, customer service was consistently excellent.

2. Durability of the cabling - have read here that there's some kinkiness afoot. Let me rephrase that. The cable can kink and therefore be susceptible to breakage. I have heard that Shure customer service is also excellent, but I don't really want to find out, iykwim.

3. One last concern is buying 2- to 3-year old product when there might be a new version/upgrade/model coming (no idea, of course). While that has nothing to do with *this* product, and while per your post it just got $500 more attractive, it remains a concern from a residual value perspective.

The pros of the KSE1500 (accuracy and evidently a moderate degree of isolation) in my mind well outweigh the cons.

* Currently, my EDA (every day audio) are Oppo PM-3, Oppo HA-2SE - connected with equally impressive Silver Dragon cables, thanks to Drew's patient tutelage at Moon Audio. Only thing is there's no noise isolation from the Oppo PM-3 to speak of, and I tend to work in noisier environments these days. Will hate to part with these if I do get the KSE1500, but I've only got one head.
Moon Audio, they have it on sale for $2499 recently

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #3,344 of 6,081
Aha! Thanks - I saw their 15% sale for the KSE1500 but will check again.

Tangentially, it's a fun journey, this - rather the epitome of the more I learn, the less I know. If I do get the KSE1500, then it's onward to figuring out a DAP* at a lower price point than the SP1000, and some sleeves short of going the custom route again. So every $500 helps - thanks again.

* Back to another 100+ pages of post-reading :)

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #3,345 of 6,081
... was in the same mood like you but finally bought them. Not for DAC or multi-platform compatibility via USB..., but just for Line-In and consequent electrostatic sound reproduction in IEM factor (that is done excellent). Decision point was as well the fact that Shure spent 8 years for bringing KSE 1500 to the market. 2 years is too short period of time to do proper homework and release new ver. of such complex and expensive system. End even if the case - we unlikely to expect revolution out of such release in audio tract.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back