Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Sep 22, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #2,567 of 6,068
I used the "Frequency Sound Generator" app from the Google Play store. It has a broad sweep, but also fine-grained controls that let you sweep in 1 Hz increments.
I don't hear any peak near 7 kHz on my unit. If you want to PM me a specific set of frequencies and a test tone (or if you're ok with me choosing a sine wave with a suitable amplitude and frequency), I can send you back a set of measured SPLs.

Thx for reply
I think fr sensitivity is individual.
You may not feel the same to me, it's nature.
As I said measuring IEM is not so meaningful by some reason.
Ear tip, location in ear canals and its shape....etc defects results.
Measured data in your link shows fr with quite big varying of spl, but Im lucky bcs I feel much smaller than that.
When I use yellow tips, peak value reduced a little, still there at 7khz. But that tips make one peak at 2400khz.
With Mojo dac/amp and black tips, peak at 7khz there for me also, but reduced.(bonus a little blur sound due to two amp. Pitty mojo cant works stand alone dac).
Btw somehow Shure designers implement eq for ksa.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #2,568 of 6,068

Thx for reply
I think fr sensitivity is individual.
You may not feel the same to me, it's nature.
As I said measuring IEM is not so meaningful by some reason.
Ear tip, location in ear canals and its shape....etc defects results.
Measured data in your link shows fr with quite big varying of spl, but Im lucky bcs I feel much smaller than that.
When I use yellow tips, peak value reduced a little, still there at 7khz. But that tips make one peak at 2400khz.
With Mojo dac/amp and black tips, peak at 7khz there for me also, but reduced.(bonus a little blur sound due to two amp. Pitty mojo cant works stand alone dac).
Btw somehow Shure designers implement eq for ksa.

From the Mojo you are hearing the line out from the DAC. The headphone drive is the line out and volume control is done digitally. No separate amp in the Mojo, so in essence you are hearing the DAC only.

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,569 of 6,068
can someone explain this graph from Shure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJeSm0zep00 comparing the KSE1500 with the SE846? how do other headphones and speakers in general compare? I never seen anything like this before!

what is the x and y axis? this looks so amazing!

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2,570 of 6,068
  can someone explain this graph from Shure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJeSm0zep00 comparing the KSE1500 with the SE846? how do other headphones and speakers in general compare? I never seen anything like this before!

what is the x and y axis? this looks so amazing!

X is amplitude, Y is time.  "Perfect correlation" is something real ( as opposed to perfect pulse, which in theory reaches certain amplitude in no time and falls back to zero amplitude in same zero time - an obvious impossibility for real world transducer ) to response of KSE 1500 and SE 846. It is, in audiophile terms, what draws people to Stax (ands other electrostatics in general ) vs dynamic variety.  I would be interested in comparison of say Stax 009 vs KSE1500 - pulse under exactly same conditions, measured with the same method.  Above graph is mere comparison - without the exact amplitude or time given.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #2,572 of 6,068
I dont know where I read this EQ setting but I thought I post it here for you guys:

Diffuse Field Target Compensated

• -3dB @ 250 Hz           
• -6dB @ 1.6 kHz (Medium BW)
• +4dB @ 2.5 kHz          
• -6dB @ 10 kHz (Medium BW)

I havent tested it but one of my friend did and he is very happy about it. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #2,573 of 6,068
Do you guys find on your Kse1500 a peak freq?
For me, it has a peak @6800Hz @+4dB, Width 0.5 Octave.
It is around A8 note, make over power in piano some time.

EQ of kse didnt help, its 50% parametric, not fully control.
Luckily NeutronMp has 100% parametric eq. I compensate it ok to flat sweep freq

Try different tips or insertion to see if you can mitigate it. Foam or longer multi flange tips may help. That's about where many folks have a natural ear reinforcement frequency of transducer to eardrum. It will vary by user depending on distance and canal shape. Not saying this is what's up but it may be the case and not universal to all users.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #2,574 of 6,068
Try different tips or insertion to see if you can mitigate it. Foam or longer multi flange tips may help. That's about where many folks have a natural ear reinforcement frequency of transducer to eardrum. It will vary by user depending on distance and canal shape. Not saying this is what's up but it may be the case and not universal to all users.

Yeah, I think so. I think that was my ears specs possibly or just my shure product. Using spinfit cp800-m and love it (but phenomenal still)

I dont know where I read this EQ setting but I thought I post it here for you guys:

Diffuse Field Target Compensated

• -3dB @ 250 Hz           
• -6dB @ 1.6 kHz (Medium BW)
• +4dB @ 2.5 kHz          
• -6dB @ 10 kHz (Medium BW)

I havent tested it but one of my friend did and he is very happy about it. 

-
Minus @250 , yes this lower mid commonly speaking make a less transparency to mid.
Minus @1600 yes, humans hearing sensitive abit high at this.
Plus@2500, I dont think so. For inears, typically spl up at this (gained) so need a minus comp.

X is amplitude, Y is time.  "Perfect correlation" is something real ( as opposed to perfect pulse, which in theory reaches certain amplitude in no time and falls back to zero amplitude in same zero time - an obvious impossibility for real world transducer ) to response of KSE 1500 and SE 846. It is, in audiophile terms, what draws people to Stax (ands other electrostatics in general ) vs dynamic variety.  I would be interested in comparison of say Stax 009 vs KSE1500 - pulse under exactly same conditions, measured with the same method.  Above graph is mere comparison - without the exact amplitude or time given.

Does any one get square signal response of kse1500 pls up load.
I think square wave 60hz àn 300hz is best thing to see how fast response

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #2,575 of 6,068
Yeah, I think so. I think that was my ears specs possibly or just my shure product. Using spinfit cp800-m and love it (but phenomenal still)
-
Minus @250 , yes this lower mid commonly speaking make a less transparency to mid.
Minus @1600 yes, humans hearing sensitive abit high at this.
Plus@2500, I dont think so. For inears, typically spl up at this (gained) so need a minus comp.
Does any one get square signal response of kse1500 pls up load.
I think square wave 60hz àn 300hz is best thing to see how fast response

Frankly, I am surprised there is no KSE1500 review from Innerfidelity yet - such outstanding transducer certainly merits  all the attention possible. I only hope it has not been withheld from publication due to some embarrassingly poor performance revealed.

So low frequencies for testing square wave of headphones were chosen no doubt after realising just how non-linear and imperfect headphones still are. The fact that headphone - by default - has got to be non linear in response in order to sound good to human ear compounds the problem. Otherwise, with better transducers ( phono cartridges, microphones, etc ) , the frequency for square wave testing is usually 1 kHz - or higher.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,576 of 6,068
Mmm.......mine is now 9 months old.......still is as good as the day I bought it and it still is one of my top favorite in-ear. Really good in-ear. No issues or defects to report. Wondering if Shure will introduce a new variation or model (very hard act to follow or top)........CIEM version????? Hoping.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #2,577 of 6,068
Mmm.......mine is now 9 months old.......still is as good as the day I bought it and it still is one of my top favorite in-ear. Really good in-ear. No issues or defects to report. Wondering if Shure will introduce a new variation or model (very hard act to follow or top)........CIEM version????? Hoping.

I think they will eventually released an updated model including with some internal storage in the Dac/Amp. I would love that. The sound is amazing on these, but I just wish they were more portable.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,578 of 6,068

Agree CIEM would be great, getting measured for some custom sleeves this week

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #2,579 of 6,068
Agree CIEM would be great, getting measured for some custom sleeves this week

I would guess Shure making a custom KSE1500 is about as likely as a snowball in hell.

Firstly, in the 15+ years they have made earphones they have never made customs. Secondly, especially with the KSE considering the earphone is permanently attached to the earphone, reshelling may be cost prohibitive. Lastly, Shure has a longstanding relationship with Sensaphonics to make a quasi customs with their sleeves.

p.s. I love my Sensaphonics custom sleeves

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,580 of 6,068
I would guess Shure making a custom KSE about as likely as a snowball in hell. Firstly, in the 15+ years they have made earphones they have never made customs. Second, especially with the KSE considering the earphone is permanently att

Agreed. Especially considering their longstanding relationship with Sensaphonics for folks who want custom sleeves. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back