Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jun 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #2,371 of 6,068

The full Sensaphonic sleeve ruined the whole sound signature that I got the KSE1500 for, they completely elevated the mids and made them just as bad as my custom Angie's that I just found a buyer for. Taking an $400 hit getting rid of them, but no reason to keep them if I don't like the sound. 

Did you try using EQ?  If so, what were your results?

Jun 28, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,372 of 6,068
The full Sensaphonic sleeve ruined the whole sound signature that I got the KSE1500 for, they completely elevated the mids and made them just as bad as my custom Angie's that I just found a buyer for. Taking an $400 hit getting rid of them, but no reason to keep them if I don't like the sound. 

We all perceive sound differently. I love my Sensaphonics full sleeves. To me, they enhanced the entire spectrum from bass to treble with greater clarity and isolation. With my Mojo barely in the yellow on the KSE amp, I have the sound dialed in between 10-13 depending on the dynamic compression of the master.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #2,373 of 6,068

Did you try using EQ?  If so, what were your results?

We all perceive sound differently. I love my Sensaphonics full sleeves. To me, they enhanced the entire spectrum from bass to treble with greater clarity and isolation. With my Mojo barely in the yellow on the KSE amp, I have the sound dialed in between 10-13 depending on the dynamic compression of the master.

I was just posting my experience, I didn't try using the EQ to "fix" the sound. I guess I am from the school of thought in which that would be "cheating..." I will play around with them a little more to see if I can get them to sound better. I think it has to do something with my particular ears / canals, and possibly the better seal with customs which are elevating the mids so much. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #2,374 of 6,068
I was just posting my experience, I didn't try using the EQ to "fix" the sound. I guess I am from the school of thought in which that would be "cheating..." I will play around with them a little more to see if I can get them to sound better. I think it has to do something with my particular ears / canals, and possibly the better seal with customs which are elevating the mids so much. 

I completely agree. I refuse to use the EQ. I either like the earphone's signature as it is or I move on to another. That is especially true with the KSE as I only use it in combination with the Chord Mojo in analogue mode.

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #2,375 of 6,068

Thanks for the update.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #2,376 of 6,068
Tried the AK Junior today with the KSE.  Looks like I found the perfect DAP to match up with KSE's size!

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #2,379 of 6,068
my setup. anyone using AK380 line out? do u set input pad as -10 or -20?

And no need for line out setting on 380.

Use the volume pot to adjust optimally........
I need help on this too. Any one could elaborate on this or have any extra input on this subject?

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #2,380 of 6,068
I need help on this too. Any one could elaborate on this or have any extra input on this subject?

Just turn the volume of your AK till it doesnt overload the KSE1500. How to see that is the input volume bars on the screen. Do not let them hit red in anyway. Just get your loudest sound and play it and watch the peak. Reduce it till it never enters red and occasional yellow. Input pad setting that most is talking about is when you deal with fixed lineouts and they overload your KSE1500. The input pads will reduce the incoming source till its acceptable for the amp.

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #2,381 of 6,068
I not using line out also from ak380.

just adjust the volume on ak380 so that you don't see RED.

then use KSE to adjust volume to comfort hearing.

have fun.

P.S on summer hols with family, missing my KSE..... =(

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2,382 of 6,068
I did the oposite: I set the KSE1500 volume to 100% and adjust SPL only with the DAP's volume ( line out).

By doing this ( I believe) I use only ONE volume contrôle In the chaîn ( the KSE being at 100%, it's volume contrôle Is bypassed ) and there Is no Risk of saturation of the KSE. . .

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #2,383 of 6,068
I did the oposite: I set the KSE1500 volume to 100% and adjust SPL only with the DAP's volume ( line out).

By doing this ( I believe) I use only ONE volume contrôle In the chaîn ( the KSE being at 100%, it's volume contrôle Is bypassed ) and there Is no Risk of saturation of the KSE. . .

I was always afraid to test the limits of the KSE1500 amplifier and relied instead of my Mojo to carry the main load.

In the past using Ray Samuels amps I always kept the DAP's volume lower and pushed my RSA Intruder or Protector up to carry the load. I did this because of a suggestion from my older brother who in his wilder youth was a sound engineer for a regional band. He said that he used to keep the individual channel's volume down and use the main amplifier to boost the signal in order to increase the soundstage. He cautioned that doing this required the main amplifier to be well engineered to avoid distortion or clipping. With the RSA amps they certainly were up to the task and well I can add the KSE amp to that list.

BMichaels I like you now have my KSE amp at 24 (I am leaving a little room) and am using the Mojo to control volume. I really appreciate your suggestion because my soundstage is now wider and to my tired, old ears I detect no distortion.

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #2,384 of 6,068
BMichaels I like you now have my KSE amp at 24 (I am leaving a little room) and am using the Mojo to control volume. I really appreciate your suggestion because my soundstage is now wider and to my tired, old ears I detect no distortion.

An AMP set at 100% is not under stress: It is just working as a Power-Amp (without pré-amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back