Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 14, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,056 of 6,065
I have been very fortunate with my KSE-1500's as I've had them just a few months but since their release a few member on this thread have experience problems typically with either the left or right channel cutting out.  As many have said in the past Shure is a very reputable company and will stand behind their product and for many of us pioneers that was exactly why we decided to purchase them. I don't recall every member who had experienced an issue but here are a few:

spook76
expat852
Audionewbi (mentioned a user on post #1350, no name)
Pekingduck
Sam Edwards

As many of us are very methodical with regard to how we treat and care for our beloved audio equipment I thought I would share this video with our team with regard to how I package-up my KSE-1500 each night before bed.  I hope this may help to potentially avoid an issue with the KSE-1500's for us in the future.

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed

Video Link Here:  https://vimeo.com/162855522

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #2,057 of 6,065
mmm......the problem with that is the Shure carrying case. It is much too small for the KSE earphone. That's why I never use it and prefer a larger case to make sure that the cable don't get stressed while in storage. I hope Shure adopts what others are using as standard protection: a Pelican case or similar. Hello, it is a 3 thousand bucks in-ear. Give us a freakin' Pelican.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #2,059 of 6,065
  I had a similar problem with my left ear piece... Sent them back to Shure for service last week.

Yes Sam I have/had the exact same issue with my right earphone as well. I just sent my KSEs off to Shure in Niles yesterday for service. Unfortunately, I spoke with Tim at Shure service yesterday and they will not have KSE1500s in stock until next week for replacement.

All KSE owners I would like a moment of silence for poor Spook who is without his beloved KSE until next week.

Sounds like a pretty bad failure for the first run. I got the same news from Tim that replacements will be coming at the end of the week. Unfortunately I don't want to risk mine to Jordanian Customs or Security so I'm going to wait until next month when I'm home to send mine in. 
I'm away for two more weeks with two out of two failures on my headphones for this trip. Has me a bit ticked off. A new Moon Audio cable appears to have cost me a connector on my UERM's. I guess I'll pack 3 pairs next time. 

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #2,062 of 6,065
mmm......Thanks! I post here to help and to get help (lots of it since this hobby is just 3 years old). Two-way street as far as I'm concerned. My very first post at headfi.org was in 2010. Then I went dark. I  was just starting my now-aborted audiophile speakers hobby and headfi.org was not the resource I was looking for. My second post here at headfi.org was just last June of 2015. Since then, I've posted nearly a thousand times. That is a lot of keyboard pounding (although I pride myself in being a very good touch typist, so no problem). I've grown fond of headfi.org since I am all-in (possibly a life-long hobby) in headfi listening. Very interesting and rewarding experience for me. This is home to me.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2,063 of 6,065
Just paid and placed a pre-order for the KSE 1500 with Jaben. ETA is June. Its going to be a long wait.. I in the meantime, any sound impressions that I can read up on? (Yes, I have not tried the KSE1500 before)

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2,065 of 6,065
Just paid and placed a pre-order for the KSE 1500 with Jaben. ETA is June. Its going to be a long wait.. I in the meantime, any sound impressions that I can read up on? (Yes, I have not tried the KSE1500 before)

Well that is a difficult question to answer without more information from you.

First, do you plan on using the built in DAC or will you be using the line in on the KSE from another DAC?

Second, like all universal IEMs the KSE1500 is tip dependent meaning the seal will change the sound. Therefore, are you going to use an included tip, third party one like the Westone Star tips or a custom sleeve like the Sensaphonics or Snuggs?

Thanks,

Spook aka Steve

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #2,066 of 6,065
Well that is a difficult question to answer without more information from you.

First, do you plan on using the built in DAC or will you be using the line in on the KSE from another DAC?

Second, like all universal IEMs the KSE1500 is tip dependent meaning the seal will change the sound. Therefore, are you going to use an included tip, third party one like the Westone Star tips or a custom sleeve like the Sensaphonics or Snuggs?

Thanks,

Spook aka Steve

1. Will most probably line it out from my AK380
2. The olives and the Sensaphonics custom sleeves

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,067 of 6,065
1. Will most probably line it out from my AK380
2. The olives and the Sensaphonics custom sleeves

The reason I asked the first question is the KSE1500 is very source dependent, I know Anak Chan and Speed both are using the AK380 so I will let them answer in regards to the AK380/KSE1500 pairing.

As for the second question, I commend you on your choice of a custom sleeves. I am sure my comments about the Sensaphonics apply equally to the Snuggs sleeves. Utilizing the sleeves give you a more holographic sound with greater bass and treble. Some have mentioned the KSE is a bit bass lite, let me assure you compared to my SE846 with the sleeves the bass hits as hard as the 846 but with a layered presentation that is remarkable. Instead of single deep bass tone the ability to hear both the bass guitar and bass drum is fantastic. As for the treble, the greater isolation of the sleeves provides a greater clarity and sparkle without ever becoming strident or sibilant.

Since you have a few months before your delivery of the KSE, one last word of caution and advice. The KSE is incredibly revealing. If the master of the album is poor oh my will you hear it. The KSE will not mask the faults in the recording as almost all IEMs will. I have bought the same album two or three times to find the best master available.

Finally, do not expect to be initially wowed by the sound as the rich neutrality of the KSE takes a little time to fully appreciate. I had never seriously listened to an electrostat before and so I was accustomed to a colored sound regardless of what the other IEM companies' claims of neutrality were. Once you do "get" or understand the sound of the KSE1500, it is revolutionary to finally hear from an earphone what the artist intended not not what other earphones allow or want you to hear.

Thanks,

Steve

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,069 of 6,065
  I wonder whether KSE1500 has a small sound stage like most IEMs? In SE846, you always feel the sound comes from the middle of your head. 

hmm KSE1500 feels slightly bigger. Though It will never approach headphones level, but its probably as big as IEM gets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back