Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 12, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #2,041 of 6,065
Hmm. Could be, although I used tidal as well which sounded worse. I was just surprised since it seemed like Jude loved the iPhone/mojo/kse/tidal combo and to me it isn't there. I've got my tips dialed, using spinfits now after doing surgery on the olive foamies. I was hoping someone would say "oh yeah that camera connector kit thing is your problem" or something simple but it seems like most people are using it and liking the sound...

Well...I actually do not use the camera kit. I bought the Fiio L-19 cable from Penon Audio in Hong Kong. The L-19 is a little glitchy (it is not MFI certified) but I believe the sonic improvements are worth it.

Edit: If you are interested here is the website to purchase the L-19. http://penonaudio.com/index.php?route=product/manufacturer/info&manufacturer_id=85

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #2,042 of 6,065
Ahh. I wonder if the people that like the combo are using a similar cable. I have to wait for the moon cables to come out, I don't think there are any other high quality mfi-certified in the u.s. yet.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #2,045 of 6,065
With the half shells you have no issues with the earphones coming loose or drop off with constant head movement?[/quote

None ever! I transition sometimes 8 stories of staircases to come up from some of the trains that are far below ground level and I skip steps and I'm a speed walker too. I've never lost the seal once! I've done everything but and all out run with the snugs but I bet it wouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you get the right impressions made from the audiologist. They are perfect and unnoticeable in clear so you can maintain the real beauty of the Shure 1500 shell with all the benefits of sound isolation and weight.

Sincerely,
-Speed

Thanks for the info Speed, I probably go with the half shell snugs then.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #2,046 of 6,065
  Does anybody else have connection issues between the KSE and the amp/dac? My right ear goes a little quiet and I have to jiggle the cable. Anybody else? Unfortunately I'm half way around the world for at least another 16 days before I can try the amazing Sure customer service for myself.

I had a similar problem with my left ear piece... Sent them back to Shure for service last week.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #2,047 of 6,065
Yes Sam I have/had the exact same issue with my right earphone as well. I just sent my KSEs off to Shure in Niles yesterday for service. Unfortunately, I spoke with Tim at Shure service yesterday and they will not have KSE1500s in stock until next week for replacement.

All KSE owners I would like a moment of silence for poor Spook who is without his beloved KSE until next week.

With such a big delay after the first run, I suspect there will be rolling improvements in this product. I hope they take care of the early adopters. This is my first pair of high end phones that needed to go back after such a short time.
Maybe I can stop in Chicago on my way home. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #2,048 of 6,065
My dealer in Singapore was saying since the first shipment there was no more stock or news of it. Most likely shures is doing something about it.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2,052 of 6,065
  Can the half shells be used with the SE 846's too?

Good question!  

As a former Shure SE-846 owner, I used only the black olives and I didn't put any shell of any kind on them.  That said, the SE-846 shell is a physically larger enclosure then the KSE-1500 and that may or may not be an issue.  When I followed the 846 thread I noticed the full shells but never any half shell.  I hope some other SE-846 owners/former owners can weight-in here?  Also you could contact Snugs via e-mail and ask them Paul is the owner and he is responsive.

Sincerely,
-Speed

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #2,053 of 6,065
  Can the half shells be used with the SE 846's too?

The SE846 has a larger, more bulbous body than the other SE Series models (535, 425, 315, 215), which all share the same shell size. For that reason, the 846 needs its own unique SCS. (Similarly, the KSE1500 is a different size and needs its own model as well.)

The SE846 was the reason the full shell version of SCS was developed. The half-shell sleeve did not offer enough support for the weight of the shell, prompting the Sensaphonics lab to develop a full shell version. Sensaphonics will make a half-shell version of the SCS for the SE846, but only on request, and we advise against it. There is no cost difference, and the full shell offers a more secure and comfortable fit.

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #2,054 of 6,065

The SE846 has a larger, more bulbous body than the other SE Series models (535, 425, 315, 215), which all share the same shell size. For that reason, the 846 needs its own unique SCS. (Similarly, the KSE1500 is a different size and needs its own model as well.)

The SE846 was the reason the full shell version of SCS was developed. The half-shell sleeve did not offer enough support for the weight of the shell, prompting the Sensaphonics lab to develop a full shell version. Sensaphonics will make a half-shell version of the SCS for the SE846, but only on request, and we advise against it. There is no cost difference, and the full shell offers a more secure and comfortable fit.

Jack, 

Thanks for the info. I am coming into the office for impressions next week, and was trying to decide whether to get full or half shells primarily for the KSE 1500 at this point, unless I decide to keep the SE 846's before my appointment. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #2,055 of 6,065
  Jack, 

Thanks for the info. I am coming into the office for impressions next week, and was trying to decide whether to get full or half shells primarily for the KSE 1500 at this point, unless I decide to keep the SE 846's before my appointment. 

Great! Not sure where we've settled with the KSE1500 (full or half shell), but the team in the office will steer your right. Sadly, one SCS won't fit both the 1500 and 846, so you'll need to order two (can be done from one set of impressions) if you decide to keep both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back