Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Dec 6, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #826 of 6,067
In the Head-Fi buying guide ultra-high end headphone section is Jude’s written word regarding the Shure KSE-1500.  Honestly I’ve watched the opening video in this tread introducing the KSE-1500 several times.  I have not seen Jude this excited about an IEM ever! 

I have taken the liberty to highlight some key snippets regarding his honest enthusiasm about these “bad boys” focused on sound qualities. 

Snippets begin:

“If you already have a source component that you want to use with the KSE1500, there's an analog input via 3.5mm mini stereo jack. Because we have top-notch source components (portable and desktop) at the office--sources that I've found to exploit the KSE1500's remarkable performance envelope more fully than its built-in DAC--I most often use the KSE1500 via its analog input.

“The new Shure KSE1500 competes not with Stax's in-ears, but at the level of Stax's best over-ears. The Shure KSE1500 is, in every way, a world-class headphone, regardless of form factor.”

“When you block out over 30 decibels of outside noise, details that are lost under the burden of typical ambient noise floors are uncovered. When you're talking about that kind of isolation coupled with the detail retrieval and performance of high-end electrostats, it's something very special--a blacker background from which even the tiniest details are laid more bare, in clearer relief.

“Having let many other people listen to it, the KSE1500 has had more universal appeal than I can recall any headphone not named "Orpheus" having. That is, many who've heard it who like emphasized bass have found it incredible; many who've heard it who prefer neutrality have found it incredible; many who've heard it who prefer brighter headphones have found it incredible.” 

“The Shure KSE1500 has strong bass when called for, presented in great detail and with ease. While it may not be as capable of delivering the slam and sheer impact that some of its high-end multi-armature competitors can, the overall quality of the KSE1500's bass is the best I've heard in an in-ear headphone. In fact, relative to any other in-ear headphone, from low bass to as high as I can hear in the treble range, the KSE1500 presents among the most realistic, most timbrally rich and lifelike presentations as I've ever heard from a headphone.

“The KSE1500 also images fantastically well--also among the top tier of any headphone I've heard. No, it doesn't image as wide or airy as some of the top open-backs can,
“Because it does what it does--and what it does is be a world-class electrostatic rig--and I can take it with me. It's the closest thing as I'll have to an Orpheus in a backpack that I can use on an airplane, in a library, at a coffee house or book store--almost anywhere.

“The Shure KSE1500 is, again, the best sounding in-ear headphone I've ever heard. It's also, in my opinion, one of the best sounding headphones of any type that you can buy today.”

Snippets end:

I can’t wait to listen to these earpieces.  I’m done reading this thread for now.  I think I’ve burned myself out just laminating over this.Shure let’s get these “bad boys” to us as soon as possible!!!  No more talking just great listening.

I would like to wish all of us on this thread happy and blessed holidays!
Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #827 of 6,067
  Hi goodvibes,

Thank you for providing the chart.  I'm going to retract my statement above about "marketing bull". I guess it's a fact @ 1kHz that you can reach 37Db of isolation. I just honestly don't fully understand your comment:

" My guess is that it's not and the tips used are flexing a bit, allowing the entire phone to very slightly react at 200hz relative to other frequencies"

Do you mean that somehow the physical shell of the SE-846 (BTW a really wonderful IEM) is interacting or somehow canceling ambient external noise and that's maybe how Shure achieves these amazing specs?

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed
-speed

Just that the bump at 200 is odd. Thought it might be the tips flexing and allowing the entire body to move at that specific frequency but looking at other graphs from innerfidelity, it may just be a characteristic of their measurement. Looks like most sealed IEMs bump up there a bit but the Shure is more pronounced. Not really important, just a bit of pondering.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #828 of 6,067
There's another interesting new IEM on the market which is supposed to address the issue of high frequency roll-off. This is the Klipsch X20i. I own the X11i and it's remarkably good for a single balanced armature driver. Its bass response will surprise you; it's very similar to that of the SE-846. The top end rolls off a bit - somewhat similar to (perhaps not quite as good as) the un- modded blue filter SE-846. The X20i claims to add a "supertweeter" armature. This could potentially fix that high-frequency response issue. If it did that without the need to carry another box of high-voltage electronics around with you...

Whether there is really something in this supertweeter armature which is different from all the other multi-BA IEMs or whether this is just more marketing BS, I don't know yet but, dang, now I have two more new IEMs I need to audition :wink:

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #831 of 6,067
I've read on shure website the output voltage is 200 V. Is that means the wire is in your pocket or the wire that goes around the ear? Or just inside amp?

Any electrostatic needs high voltage at the driver. 

That means - on all three locations mentioned.

Stax has been marketing electrostatic IEM for over a decade without any known safety problems.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #832 of 6,067
Any electrostatic needs high voltage at the driver. 

That means - on all three locations mentioned.

Stax has been marketing electrostatic IEM for over a decade without any known safety problems.

I've just searched and it takes 0.1 amper to kill you and kse1500 are lower than 0.001 a so it will be extra safe. But man it is really adrenaline pumping know 200 v is around and in your ears. that alone worth 1000$ adrenaline shots.

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #833 of 6,067
I've just searched and it takes 0.1 amper to kill you and kse1500 are lower than 0.001 a so it will be extra safe. But man it is really adrenaline pumping know 200 v is around and in your ears. that alone worth 1000$ adrenaline shots.

To help assure its safety, Shure worked with UL throughout the KSE1500's development to meet UL's approval standards (UL files AZSQ.E190361 and AZSQ7.E190361 (Canada)).

I had intended to mention this in the video, but unfortunately didn't get around to it.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #836 of 6,067
There's another interesting new IEM on the market which is supposed to address the issue of high frequency roll-off. This is the Klipsch X20i. I own the X11i and it's remarkably good for a single balanced armature driver. Its bass response will surprise you; it's very similar to that of the SE-846. The top end rolls off a bit - somewhat similar to (perhaps not quite as good as) the un- modded blue filter SE-846. The X20i claims to add a "supertweeter" armature. This could potentially fix that high-frequency response issue. If it did that without the need to carry another box of high-voltage electronics around with you...

Whether there is really something in this supertweeter armature which is different from all the other multi-BA IEMs or whether this is just more marketing BS, I don't know yet but, dang, now I have two more new IEMs I need to audition :wink:

Marketing. I'd give you 10-1 odds that this is the driver they use and it also shows a lowering of treble.  http://www.sonion.com/Products/Transducers/Receivers/26-E25%20AcuPass%20TM.aspx
That said, It may still be VG but don't expect it to compete with the subject of this thread or even the SE-846.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #837 of 6,067
r

I'd consider what Jude has given us a proper review. Not to mention the added impressions of folks with Headphone Supremus status and a Music Direct employee.

And surely we will be flooded with reviews before long. This is a damn exciting iem.

I do as well. I'm sure many want to know how much bass there is compared to mids or if it has their preferred U shape with sparkle but for me, reviews that focus on separate ranges tend to lose the goodness of it's whole. Great reproduction of music is about time, res and good octave to octave balance without significant aberrations and that's exactly what Jude has described. I've always found that when something has those qualities, it's easier to hear into bands that may not be as emphasized as one might like. Nothing is for everyone but beyond listening for oneself, what else do we need to know. It's going to measure great with a fraction of the distortion we're accustomed to seeing in IEMs.

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #839 of 6,067
Shure also announced the Shure SHA900 today, which is an amp/DAC for standard headphones that has the same parametric equalizer as the KSE1500's amp module. The SHA900 is $999. Truth be told, they've both been here, but I haven't been able to put the KSE1500 down long enough to say much about the SHA900 yet. I'll be saying more about the SHA900 later.

Hey Jude. Have you been able to test out the SHA900 yet? I was especially wondering how it compares to the Chord Mojo. I have a pair of Shure SE846 and have been looking into getting a dac/amp for a while. However, I may just need to sell my 846's and get the KSE1500's =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back