Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jun 1, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #5,536 of 6,068
I would highly recommend GL850 by Gold Planar. It can be easily driven by ifi xCan and Qudelix 5k DAC. You need around 300hrs of burn in. It's the only headphone I feel is on par with KSE and out performs it in the timbre and bass slam area. The highs are very sweet and rich a tad higher than KSE. Try to get your hands on a pair of burned in set and try it. It will be nothing you have heard before. Similar experience when I put on KSE initially.

I would have to take a closer look on the GL850 as I've reviewed Heddphone One with AMT driver as well and I very much liked the sound. Kinda like a mix between electrostats and plenars. The only complaine I had was that the soundstage didn't have any depth in front of of the listener. So it was kinda 2d but not really as there was much more going on one left and right of the soundstage. The dealbreaker for me was the weight of the headphones of over 700 grams and with narrow headband I felt pain on the top of my head pretty quickly. I had to take a break every one or two hours while wearing them.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #5,537 of 6,068
These cans are 32 Ohms and 90dB/1mW, so not an issue for xCAN.
what's so amazing is I'm using Qudelix> xcan > kse1200 charging and listening at the same time. No noise or interference. Without the xCan theres pretty bad buzzing and interference.

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #5,538 of 6,068
I would have to take a closer look on the GL850 as I've reviewed Heddphone One with AMT driver as well and I very much liked the sound. Kinda like a mix between electrostats and plenars. The only complaine I had was that the soundstage didn't have any depth in front of of the listener. So it was kinda 2d but not really as there was much more going on one left and right of the soundstage. The dealbreaker for me was the weight of the headphones of over 700 grams and with narrow headband I felt pain on the top of my head pretty quickly. I had to take a break every one or two hours while wearing them.
I have tried out the heddphone as well. The GL850 is far more comfortable due to the weight distribution and it's lighter. I could wear it for at least 2-3hrs no issue. Sound wise the dynamics is far better than Hedd as well, unless I've gotten a bad heddphone set.

Jun 1, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #5,540 of 6,068
Hi
A thing I think you may want to compare it to kse1500: its younger bro kse1200!
I know many said they are same. I feel difference.

One more thing, if you go TWs, lets pick a Technics tw ( has only one model til now).
You will find it sounds like the kse! So good but not at that good ofcouse.
Resolution is less. Stage is beyond. Same tonality

It's not just "many said they are the same". The designer and manufacturer said they are the same thing.

Jun 2, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #5,541 of 6,068
Hi
A thing I think you may want to compare it to kse1500: its younger bro kse1200!
I know many said they are same. I feel difference.

One more thing, if you go TWs, lets pick a Technics tw ( has only one model til now).
You will find it sounds like the kse! So good but not at that good ofcouse.
Resolution is less. Stage is beyond. Same tonality.
The ONLY difference between the two systems is the amplifier section which is missing the DAC and has a different (larger battery). I do wonder whether bypassing the DAC in the 1500 (if that is possible) there is a difference in sound signature between the two, although I doubt it would be a large one if noticeable even.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #5,542 of 6,068
Headphone IEM combo.

Stick the KSE1200 in then put Beyerdynamic DT1900 Pro on over the top and drive it from a device with dual outputs, I'm using a Hugo 2. (other combos are possible)

The balance between the two can be easily adjusted to get the "best" sound.

Its an interesting sound, or have I been out in the sun too long? I guess this is a bit like the the Nuraphone.
with the foam of the 1200s "blocking" outside sounds and distorting what eventually does manage to filter through (at very high sound levels) would that even be a thing?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #5,544 of 6,068
The ONLY difference between the two systems is the amplifier section which is missing the DAC and has a different (larger battery). I do wonder whether bypassing the DAC in the 1500 (if that is possible) there is a difference in sound signature between the two, although I doubt it would be a large one if noticeable even.
The internal should not take in to comparision. So what we SEE is just digital 25 volume steps on 1500, while 1200 owns an analog volume crown.
But that's just what we see. We dont know the internal.
My 5 years old Ksa1500 did not has the tightness and hardness of bass in compare to 2years 1200 amp. The treble also crispier. So feeling 1500 more mid centric, more sens of mid.

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #5,546 of 6,068
Maybe because of the fact of the “KSE1500” legend at the back of each earpiece in the earphones included in the KSE1200 combo? :wink:
Possible.
Earpiece is one component, beside the amp unit.
And even those, just tell about the earpiece, year by year maker can do improvement w/o saying anything.
It is clear, 1200 earpiece (yeah writen 1500 at the back) has a less tangled wire than early production(feel lose and softer surrounding mesh).
By the way I it was not my mean. I said I hear the different between the amp of 2 models

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #5,547 of 6,068
Lake People HPA RS 02. I'm certain that HD800s can sound better from something higher end but my issue with them is that they have like 10db less bass and subbas than KSE. They are great for classical, acoustic music and bass light genres but not espacially good with bass heavy music.
I feel enough bass line when using Sonarwork tunning.
One of reasons I will not to update firmware for the dap

Attachments

• 20210603_180525.jpg
    20210603_180525.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 3, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #5,548 of 6,068
The internal should not take in to comparision. So what we SEE is just digital 25 volume steps on 1500, while 1200 owns an analog volume crown.
But that's just what we see. We dont know the internal.
My 5 years old Ksa1500 did not has the tightness and hardness of bass in compare to 2years 1200 amp. The treble also crispier. So feeling 1500 more mid centric, more sens of mid.
Entirely possible, as I said the amplifier section is the only difference between the two systems even if the physical earphones are identical, which could possibly lead to a difference in sound. Also bear in mind the influence that the DAC section could have on the amplifier section on the 1500 (I have heard DACs can be very “noisy” but am not an expert ergo I don’t know for sure) and in your particular case the age difference between your two models which may influence the sound just due to wear and tear, let alone differences in design implemented in the time elapsed between each purchase.

consider that the frequency extremes on an electrostatic system are those most influenced by the current availability so it could well be that your 1500 is more “mid-centric” due to the older battery possibly having a little difficulty in supplying the current draw required and thus influencing the frequency extremes, I don’t know for sure but it may be worth investigating.

Out of interest when you are comparing the two IEMS which DAC do you use on the systems?

Personally I prefer the 1200 for the flexibility of DAC choice and the extended battery life, even if this adds an extra component to the system.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #5,549 of 6,068
Entirely possible, as I said the amplifier section is the only difference between the two systems even if the physical earphones are identical, which could possibly lead to a difference in sound. Also bear in mind the influence that the DAC section could have on the amplifier section on the 1500 (I have heard DACs can be very “noisy” but am not an expert ergo I don’t know for sure) and in your particular case the age difference between your two models which may influence the sound just due to wear and tear, let alone differences in design implemented in the time elapsed between each purchase.

consider that the frequency extremes on an electrostatic system are those most influenced by the current availability so it could well be that your 1500 is more “mid-centric” due to the older battery possibly having a little difficulty in supplying the current draw required and thus influencing the frequency extremes, I don’t know for sure but it may be worth investigating.

Out of interest when you are comparing the two IEMS which DAC do you use on the systems?

Personally I prefer the 1200 for the flexibility of DAC choice and the extended battery life, even if this adds an extra component to the system.
Two amps driven by Ak sp1k at volume 120( about 2V) and input pad 0 (1200)/ digital input pad 0(1500)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #5,550 of 6,068
Two amps driven by Ak sp1k at volume 120( about 2V) and input pad 0 (1200)/ digital input pad 0(1500)
Am I correct in understanding that you are using the digital input of the 1500 and converting onboard?

If that is the case then you aren't running a proper comparison as you need both amplifiers inputting an analogue signal to properly compare like for like.

How is the battery health of your 1500? is there a way for you to check?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back