Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Mar 13, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #5,446 of 6,080
Assuming you using Raid 1 or more you will be surprised how soon you can use up the drive.
I have nearly filled a 20 tb external drive and had to purchase three further drives as back ups for home and also two kept off site.
If you only have one and it is destroyed, corrupted etc then no music.
It is a 6 drive raid5 setup. Drives are about 4 years old and probably ready for refreshing. My audio collection only occupies 4 tb. Biggest storage hogs are the myriad of kids movies I have ripped from various video formats over the years (close to 8 tb).
I do believe the NAS supports 10tb drives so there are expansion option also.

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #5,447 of 6,080
No, as I mentioned before I'm using the line out of my MBP. The mojo has a bit of a warm tilt, but we're talking orders of magnitude difference. The FR of this iem has been measured in many places - while it's an amazing listen from a detail perspective and your brain can certainly adapt, it has issues that no changing of source (which invariably have a miniscule impact on FR) is going to get even remotely close to fixing.

There was discussion a couple years ago where I brought up EQ in this thread and some people were not quite onboard, and I do agree that the posted corrections - which have been updated a couple times since, sound better but still off to me, which are certainly made from sighting posted FRs. The combo of the latest harman down low and oratory up top sound correct to me, moreso than the mostly Harman targetted IER-Z1R which I was pitting these against. And I was about to sell these in favor of the Z1Rs, but playing around with EQ they're certainly staying and the Sonys will be FS soon.
Personally I find the variation in source material a bigger issue. The Tera Player has no EQ ability, but carefully choosing and preparing the source material is how I tune to preference. Difference could be subtle or drastic depending on the variance

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #5,449 of 6,080
Wonderful technicalities but the tonality is a tad bit off for me. Also widely impractical to use outside of a seated setting because of the bulkiness of it.
I’ve seen people put photographs of their set ups in belt bags and used from there. Certainly not as practical as a straight IEM/DAP set up but still very usable. If someone travels or is often away from home a lot more practical than lugging a pair of Stax and amp around in your suitcase 🤣

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #5,453 of 6,080
Forgot I had an account here and finally came back. So many posts, I like to add to the discussion.
Do please expand on your comments, one liners really aren’t much to go on, why don’t you tell us more about your conclusions, give us some in depth details about what you think, especially here on the Shure threads (I saw your comments on the SE846 thread too) you haven’t given us much to go on so far.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #5,454 of 6,080
Wonderful technicalities but the tonality is a tad bit off for me. Also widely impractical to use outside of a seated setting because of the bulkiness of it.
Certainly portable. I've been using mine everytime when I commute. The energizer is lighter than my phone. The source I'm using when I'm out is a Qudelix 5k (Bluetooth) which is only 23g and comes with a very good PEQ that you can equalize all you want.. So just chuck it into my sling bag and go. You can even answer a call with it.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #5,455 of 6,080
Would like to check if it's possible for to connect the kse to another amp? Example DAP/DAC --> ifi Zen can --> kse1200, not sure will it damage the kse as I love the xbass and 3d feature of zen can.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #5,456 of 6,080
Would like to check if it's possible for to connect the kse to another amp? Example DAP/DAC --> ifi Zen can --> kse1200, not sure will it damage the kse as I love the xbass and 3d feature of zen can.
That would seem to be setting up a major clipping event with all that amplitude. Then again...

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #5,457 of 6,080
Then again...
Indeed, the Zen Can has a volume control, turn it down until the KSE amp just flickers orange and use the -10dB "pad" option and it will work perfectly. I would go with my xDSD myself and get the 3D and xBass features that way as I have done many times. The pairing works very well too.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #5,458 of 6,080
Indeed, the Zen Can has a volume control, turn it down until the KSE amp just flickers orange and use the -10dB "pad" option and it will work perfectly. I would go with my xDSD myself and get the 3D and xBass features that way as I have done many times. The pairing works very well too.
Wow thank you!🙏🏻 Can I ask is xDSD a player source format?

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #5,459 of 6,080
So long as the volume settings along the path respect the input requirements of the kse1200 amp and you adjust them so that it doesn’t clip, you can have as many components as you need or want.

the only downside is that you will lose some transparency with every additional component in the analogue path, however if you don’t hear this or the benefits outweigh the drawbacks why not?

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #5,460 of 6,080
So long as the volume settings along the path respect the input requirements of the kse1200 amp and you adjust them so that it doesn’t clip, you can have as many components as you need or want.

the only downside is that you will lose some transparency with every additional component in the analogue path, however if you don’t hear this or the benefits outweigh the drawbacks why not?
Thanks so much guys. Can't wait to try it out once my KSE back from Hospital. Hope that she can be discharged soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back