Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Mar 8, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #5,416 of 6,080
Yes they have called me and said it is the earphone side connector issues. I will check again when I collect but hope it's all fix if not will be another month. They are kind enough to offer me a loan set but too much trouble to go down again, so just wait. Now everything else sounded unclear to me. The curse of KSE.haha
Apart from this no regrets. I've gotten like 6 iems so far and this is one set that made me stop looking.
But I'm just curious about AMT planar headphones now and wanted to try it out. that's all...but I doubt it can beat KSE.
Well I just hope they get back to you ASAP.

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #5,418 of 6,080
I've had similar reservations in terms of reliability prior to purchasing. I even returned them after 3 weeks because I felt that they are very fragile and not that portable but I couldn't go back after hearing them to other headphones. Altough I owned full sized Stax system at the time I felt that KSE could do what Stax'es cant. I mean that Stax'es are great but they are not what you call exciting with more popular music and their bass wasn't all that strong or deep. After careful consideration I came up to conclusion that life is too short and I sold the Stax system and bought KSE again. This pair is with me almost 3 years now and they are still fine. I treat them like a baby though because they feel fragile and plasticky. If they brake out of warranty and couldn't be fixed I would be devastated but I think even though I own Sony IER-Z1R (because they are more portable, warmish and bassier) as well I would buy another pair of the KSE just because there is nothing else like it.

I asked shure back in the day how much would it cost to repair them out of warranty but they just answered that if something breaks under warranty I will be covered.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #5,419 of 6,080
I've had similar reservations in terms of reliability prior to purchasing. I even returned them after 3 weeks because I felt that they are very fragile and not that portable but I couldn't go back after hearing them to other headphones. Altough I owned full sized Stax system at the time I felt that KSE could do what Stax'es cant. I mean that Stax'es are great but they are not what you call exciting with more popular music and their bass wasn't all that strong or deep. After careful consideration I came up to conclusion that life is too short and I sold the Stax system and bought KSE again. This pair is with me almost 3 years now and they are still fine. I treat them like a baby though because they feel fragile and plasticky. If they brake out of warranty and couldn't be fixed I would be devastated but I think even though I own Sony IER-Z1R as weel I would buy another pair of the KSE just because there is nothing else like it.
Never owned Stax, but am in full agreement regarding the KSE1200. Shure has created something that makes all my other gear seem less competent.

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #5,420 of 6,080
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #5,421 of 6,080
I've had similar reservations in terms of reliability prior to purchasing. I even returned them after 3 weeks because I felt that they are very fragile and not that portable but I couldn't go back after hearing them to other headphones. Altough I owned full sized Stax system at the time I felt that KSE could do what Stax'es cant. I mean that Stax'es are great but they are not what you call exciting with more popular music and their bass wasn't all that strong or deep. After careful consideration I came up to conclusion that life is too short and I sold the Stax system and bought KSE again. This pair is with me almost 3 years now and they are still fine. I treat them like a baby though because they feel fragile and plasticky. If they brake out of warranty and couldn't be fixed I would be devastated but I think even though I own Sony IER-Z1R (because they are more portable, warmish and bassier) as well I would buy another pair of the KSE just because there is nothing else like it.

I asked shure back in the day how much would it cost to repair them out of warranty but they just answered that if something breaks under warranty I will be covered.
I pulled the trigger on the 007 mk2 and added the spritzer mod and from a good amp they are startling, including the bass, although I do acknowledge that they are probably the only Stax with deep bass.

Regardless, the kse1200s are absolutely superb and if treated with some care can no doubt last, mine are as new.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #5,425 of 6,080
Curious if anyone has a Mini DSP IL-DSP or similar dongles w/ PEQ built-in? I'm aware of the E`DA PowerDac but it requires more juice than an iPhone can provide.

I have the IER-ZR1 and prefer them with default tuning to the KSE1200 (trends Harman, and the KSE "go their own way" to put it lightly), but it's a tough call, the KSE's technicalities are superb. But tuned to Oratory 1990's EQ (which I prefer to Harman) for them the edge decisively goes to the KSE. With that, they're so good I'm wondering what other headphone or speaker rigs can really touch them under $10k or so.

The problem is I'm pretty much relegated to using Roon from my laptop for its PEQ. I'd love to be able to have them run from my iPhone, hence the IL-DSP. But I'd like to know what other options might be available.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #5,426 of 6,080
Curious if anyone has a Mini DSP IL-DSP or similar dongles w/ PEQ built-in? I'm aware of the E`DA PowerDac but it requires more juice than an iPhone can provide.

I have the IER-ZR1 and prefer them with default tuning to the KSE1200 (trends Harman, and the KSE "go their own way" to put it lightly), but it's a tough call, the KSE's technicalities are superb. But tuned to Oratory 1990's EQ (which I prefer to Harman) for them the edge decisively goes to the KSE. With that, they're so good I'm wondering what other headphone or speaker rigs can really touch them under $10k or so.

The problem is I'm pretty much relegated to using Roon from my laptop for its PEQ. I'd love to be able to have them run from my iPhone, hence the IL-DSP. But I'd like to know what other options might be available.
I am using qudelix 5k with kse. Not too bad. It's has 10 band peq. You can use it via Bluetooth or USB from IPhone or android phone. However I prefer the sound from Cayin N3pro. But the 5k is really light and portable it's as good as I'm just carrying KSE and energiser..

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #5,427 of 6,080
Very surprise Shure didn't capitalise on the kse and 846 success.. it's ok to have a newer model or a new DAC+energiser or energizer upgrade.
No point in changing something that works, although there is talk of Aonic replacement of the 846.

Eitherway it will most likely be an evolution rather than anything else, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Consider that the KSE range took a full 8 years to develop. Some Stax models have been around for over 12 years as they are right now and most are simply evolutions of something spanning back decades.

my only feelings are that the kse1500 may be dropped because of the DAC which wasn’t highly regarded even at it’s inception. Not sure what the sales figures are but unlike the 1200, the 1500 is limited by the inbuilt DAC. For grand less you can choose ur own DAC and not risk the entire set up becoming obsolete.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #5,428 of 6,080
No point in changing something that works, although there is talk of Aonic replacement of the 846.

Eitherway it will most likely be an evolution rather than anything else, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Consider that the KSE range took a full 8 years to develop. Some Stax models have been around for over 12 years as they are right now and most are simply evolutions of something spanning back decades.

my only feelings are that the kse1500 may be dropped because of the DAC which wasn’t highly regarded even at it’s inception. Not sure what the sales figures are but unlike the 1200, the 1500 is limited by the inbuilt DAC. For grand less you can choose ur own DAC and not risk the entire set up becoming obsolete.

If Shure does drop the 1500 can they please cut down the case and size it for the 1200? I would like some sort of well fitting leather case for it (without having to go custom made)

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #5,429 of 6,080
Spent the morning listening to the JB Project (Akira Jimbo and Brian Bromberg)
KSE1200 calling the shots and giving my ears something to enjoy

jbpbrom.png jbpbrom2.jpgjbpbrom3.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back